Main Menu

New (to me) dirt ride to VC area

Started by RichVee4, November 24, 2014, 05:42:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichVee4

I stumbled onto a OHV area on the east side of washoe lake today that connects to VC.   The access point is Jumbo Grade, old mining road that connects to Ophir grade above VC.  The cool part is that the trails head into VC, 8 miles from start point.   I've often seen dirt bikes ride through VC and always wondered how to get up there to explore, here it is.   Has anyone explored this area?

http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trails/info/nevada_08275/map_4080.htm
Live long and prosper \V/

GreenMachine

I, for one, am thankful for the link Rich.  You'll have to show us around on that soon.

:clap
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

slmoto

I bought some of my gear from someone that lives near Jumbo Grade, they were saying there is a lot of great riding over there. I'm always willing to try some new trails, I'd definitely be down to explore out there.

slmoto

Rich, anyone else.., Interested in checking this out or any other dirt/mud riding this weekend? I know weather is not optimal but it doesn't look too terrible either and I need to get out as it may be my last chance until after holidays.

RichVee4

I've been looking at the forecast hoping we could get out for a ride soon and Sunday should be sunny in the low 50's.  If that works, lets plan to go out.  The area on the east side of Washoe lake would be fun to explore.   I need to install a new throttle tube but will do that Sat. 

slmoto

Quote from: RichVee4 on December 04, 2014, 05:55:34 PM
I've been looking at the forecast hoping we could get out for a ride soon and Sunday should be sunny in the low 50's.  If that works, lets plan to go out.  The area on the east side of Washoe lake would be fun to explore.   I need to install a new throttle tube but will do that Sat. 

I've been keeping an eye on the weather as well. Sat was looking good earlier in the week but recently Sun has been looking better. I'm down for either, Sun is fine for me I'll pencil it in pending any drastic changes in weather.
Throttle tube was the first thing I broke on my bike, easy fix. I'm in need of a rear tire, I'll grab one tomorrow and hopefully be able to break it in Sun.

RichVee4

This is going to be fun, temps felt comfortable today.   I can pick you up about 930 and head down there.  You ok if we end up in VC around lunch and grab a bite to eat? 

Bought an aluminum throttle tube so it should be pretty indestructible.   New tire is on my short list too.   Likely will get something in a medium compound.

Who else is coming?

slmoto

Quote from: RichVee4 on December 05, 2014, 06:33:40 PM
This is going to be fun, temps felt comfortable today.   I can pick you up about 930 and head down there.  You ok if we end up in VC around lunch and grab a bite to eat? 

Bought an aluminum throttle tube so it should be pretty indestructible.   New tire is on my short list too.   Likely will get something in a medium compound.

Who else is coming?

Lunch in VC via dirt sounds awesome. My bike is not street legal though and loud enough to catch some attention, you think that will be a problem going into town for lunch? Are there off road trails right into town where I wouldn't have to ride on the street at all?

Aluminum throttle tube should do you well. I was going to get one when I had to replace mine but I just got hand guards instead, save my throttle tube and levers.

I just got a Maxxis Maxxcross IT tire installed today, looking forward to trying it out. Not supposed to be the best handling tire but its a harder compound should give me many more miles which is more what I'm looking for since I chewed through the mx tire that came on my bike really quickly.

It'd be great if some others wanted to join!

GreenMachine

Quote from: RichVee4 on December 05, 2014, 06:33:40 PMWho else is coming?
Sorry, I'm out for this weekend.  Got chores.

I'm bummed though, b/c you guys are going to ride some new places and I like hanging out on these rides too.

Catch you guys on the next go around.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

slmoto

RichVee4

Chores today, ride tomorrow, problem solved :)  This is looking like my last chance to get out until 2015 also.

I've seen many dirk bikes/ side by sides etc ride through VC so it wont be the first time LEO have seen OHVs ride thru town.   There is a parallel road to the main road we could take if we wanted.

I need to look at the maps more.  I saw that we can catch VC a couple miles south via Orphir Rd, but to make a loop not real clear how to catch the dirt roads on the North side of town.  What I saw looked to be a distance out of town, so to much road riding for my comfort.  If that's all we can find we will just back track the way we came and explore the dirt roads and mtns above VC. 

There is a sign/map at the trailhead and the link I sent.  I need to see what google maps show.

slmoto

Yeah, looking at my open orders this is it for me, my last ride of the year. I wouldn't even be going on this ride if it weren't for a delayed shipment that's holding me up from getting more work done until it comes in on Tues.

Looks like there is a trail north of Mt. Davidson that drops in at Stewart St. and some smaller trails south of the water tower near Stewart St. that lead down and drops out onto B St. just south of Virginia City Jerky Co.

I don't know about a big north/south loop but it looks like we can definitely at the least take some different trails in and out of VC.

Man, we are spoiled nowadays with satellite images. Maybe too spoiled, takes some of the exploring out of it.

RichVee4

I like that option and it makes a loop, prefer to exit that way (stewart) since not sure how step it is.  On the OVH map it shows a sand dune play area 6.4 miles north of our starting location that would be fun to check out.    

dub

Did about 25 miles in the Pine Nuts today. The dirt is perfect right now after the rain. You can really rail those banked corners and almost no dust. The southern crew is heading down to Desert Creek tomorrow.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

RichVee4

2 days of playing in the dirt, nice.  Got to take advantage of the good days when you can. Thanks for the conditions report.