Main Menu

Moon Rocks Sunday 11/23

Started by slmoto, November 19, 2014, 07:35:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slmoto

Anyone up for some dirt riding this weekend? I'm thinking Sunday since it looks to be a little nicer weather wise, I was thinking Moon Rocks but I'm open to other places if somewhere else is preferred.

GreenMachine

DAMN YOUUUUUUUUUU!

Now I have to get motivated to get that defective tire TB5 sold me repaired.  :rant 

'Sold as is,' INDEED!  No where did he tell me it could be susceptible to horseshoe impalement.  :rant
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

slmoto

Get it fixed!, and let me know if you find any good deals, I'm in need of a rear tire as well. Not in the same way you need one, I still have air in my tire but the tread is getting really low and the side treads are pretty tore up from rocks. I think the guy I bought the bike from had a pretty soft compound on there.

GreenMachine

White Brothers is your MX muffler, right SL?  We need to get that thing's sound level under control with something like this, only oval shaped.  I did a preliminary Google search, but could only find open end caps like the one you have.  I'll keep searching.  But anything that you could mount on there that would plug the hole without starting on fire and can hold back exhaust pressure would work.

Or you could call Remarc Mfg <listing here> to see what they could fabricate for you.  I've had them do two exhaust TIG weldings for me and they have all the press and welding equipment to do it.  They're friendly too.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

slmoto

Quote from: GreenMachine on November 19, 2014, 09:26:54 AM
White Brothers is your MX muffler, right SL?  We need to get that thing's sound level under control with something like this, only oval shaped.  I did a preliminary Google search, but could only find open end caps like the one you have.  I'll keep searching.  But anything that you could mount on there that would plug the hole without starting on fire and can hold back exhaust pressure would work.

Or you could call Remarc Mfg <listing here> to see what they could fabricate for you.  I've had them do two exhaust TIG weldings for me and they have all the press and welding equipment to do it.  They're friendly too.

Already done!

There is supposed to be a solid plate White Brothers included with the exhaust, one of the previous owners must have removed it.

I got some stock metal from Home Depot after the Dog Valley ride, small piece for only $6. Took the end cap off traced it on the metal, drilled the holes cut the oval and bolted it on, perfect fit. Rode with some out of town friends last weekend and it seemed to help. Still loud but not as obnoxious. And according to the White Brothers spec sheet I found online I was losing 2hp with the blocking plate removed so now supposedly the bike is more powerful, although I didn't notice much performance wise but at least the sound is more reasonable. ;D

GreenMachine

Good man!  I'll be much appreciative when you go by me next time.   :|)

Here's more info on tuning it.  Their 2 HP less may be true, but the statement isn't all it's cracked up to be.  On an open outlet pipe, like you had, you may get 2 HP more at peak RPM, which is great if you're red-lining the engine all the time.  What is conveniently left out is that with a closed end-cap your mid-range torque will probably increase, making the bike easier to ride and better able to power through most real-world riding situations.

Assuming the plates you have on there are tapered, like mine:

QuoteMore discs move the power band up to give you more top-end power, and lean out the carbureted fuel mixture. Removing discs decreases the size of the exhaust outlet, decreases exhaust tone, and exhaust flow while backpressure is increased. Fewer discs tend to increase low-end torque and richen the carbureted fuel mixture. Diffuser discs allow you to compensate for changes in altitude and air temperature without re-jetting or changing your air intake. And, besides reducing noise, our discs function as United States Forest Service-approved spark arrestors (USFS T-102), making them a safer choice for off-road motorcycles and ATVs. <link>

So you can remove the internal spark arrestor screen too, the discs will perform that function now.

Take along an allen wrench on your next ride.  Start by taking out some discs to experiment with how the engine performs; maybe take out four to six to begin with.  It's easy to tune & tell.  When you reach the point where the discs are too restrictive, the engine will buck and kick as you crack the throttle full open while riding.  Add two discs and see if power and performance returns?  If it does, you know you're very close to ideal, where jetting is matched to air-flow, which is matched to altitude & current atmospheric conditions.  Throttle response and power should be the best it has ever been and with some minor fine tuning, make for easier starting as well.

GreenMachine

Got a dirtbike stand at Harbor Freight for $30.  Hope to have the rear tire repaired by then.  Looking forward to trying some new things out.

slmoto

Thanks for the info. I've already taken out the screen spark arrestor. I've got to get a cordless drill to take out with me with an allen attachment, the allen key takes too long but I'll get to experimenting with the plates one of these days.

$30 stand, not bad. I just use my street stand. I have the Pitbull one and if you turn around the brackets that normally attach to the spools it meets up with my dirt bike swing arm, gets me by for the time being.

I'm looking forward to working on some techniques as well. I was thinking Moon Rocks because where Rich and I parked last time was a nice flat open space that would probably be good for working on those sliding circle Mel was talking about and I'd also like to work on my wheelies ;D
:GrnWheelie
Plus there are a number of other jumps and turns that make it interesting enough for some time.

GreenMachine

I'm right with ya on all of that. :thumbup

GreenMachine

I thought about just using one of my swingarm stands, but I still need a step-stool for getting the bike to/from the truck, so I'll find a home for it.

GreenMachine

Got some things straightened out on the CRF tonight. 

1) Rear tire is back on and ready.  Jerry said it should last me through to next Spring.
2) Left radiator is about 1/2" farther forward, which means I can use my fuel tap again.*  8)
3) Oiled the chain with self-drying Yamalube.
4) Secured some things and straightened out the hand guards.

I'd like to get the oil changed tomorrow night and clean the air filter.  I'm sure its pukey dirty.
* Thanks Rich for setting me straight on which way it goes.  That could have been costly if I screwed that up. :thumbup

slmoto

Good stuff. These things seem to be a lot more work then the street bikes.

Reminds me I got some radiator braces I should put on before going out and dropping my bike some more this weekend.

GreenMachine

Yes, from outside appearance, but when you think about the abuse we put them through, then apply what that would do to our sissy street bikes, it doesn't seem so bad.

slmoto

Looks like it's just you and I so far GM unless someone else chimes in before Sun. Do you have a time and place you prefer to meet?

The open lot I mentioned is the third one if you're approaching Moon Rocks from the NE.
https://goo.gl/maps/uxkUY

Would you like to meet out there or somewhere in town then head out?

RichVee4

Sooooo tempting....    But I have other chores this weekend.   Have fun and maybe we can go somewhere next weekend. 
Live long and prosper \V/