Main Menu

Sat Ride (11/8) ?

Started by slmoto, November 04, 2014, 09:33:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slmoto

Anyone up for a ride Saturday? Maybe Dog Valley, Peavine, I'm open to whatever...?

GreenMachine

That sounds like a wonderful idea!

IN.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

288RR

How wide are the trails you all take up there.,  reason I ask is i have race sport quad.  And would go with you all if the trails were wide enough. 

I'm working on getting a bike

slmoto

Quote from: 288RR on November 04, 2014, 05:16:43 PM
How wide are the trails you all take up there.,  reason I ask is i have race sport quad.  And would go with you all if the trails were wide enough. 

I'm working on getting a bike

Peavine varies, there are definitely roads that would fit a quad but I get bored with the fire roads rather quickly. I've only been on a few single tracks on Peavine that would not fit a quad the rest I've been on I'd say were narrow jeep roads which you should be able to fit a quad on, there are some deep ruts here and there but there's probably enough room for you to straddle them and some loose rocky sections, not sure how quads handle them but I'm sure they manage in their own way. I see a lot of the side by sides unloading in the dirt field at the bottom so they must be going somewhere although I've yet to see any on the trails I've been on.

Dog Valley I haven't been yet.

I went to a track near on the side of the highway near Fernley last weekend, there were some quads on there, if you're ever interested in going there let me know I'd be up for that as well.
https://goo.gl/maps/4Feu3

slmoto

Here's a video I found (not me) that shows the width of the majority of the roads I end up riding on Peavine, if that helps give you an idea if they are wide enough for you (288rr).

http://youtu.be/b0VhYc-aZjY

RichVee4

Hopefully I got my one crash for the season out of the way on the ride last weekend.   Man was I sore for a couple days after.  I have work commitments this weekend so cant make it.   
Live long and prosper \V/

GreenMachine

Rich, I heard you guys were doing jumps.  Brave for this early in your dirt riding experience.  I got the impression from what SL was explaining about the terrain you two were riding, that you guys are literally jumping right into some of the more technically challenging aspects and that I'm probably still riding like a sissy by comparison.   :-\
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

slmoto

Quote from: GreenMachine on November 06, 2014, 07:55:09 AM
Rich, I heard you guys were doing jumps.  Brave for this early in your dirt riding experience.  I got the impression from what SL was explaining about the terrain you two were riding, that you guys are literally jumping right into some of the more technically challenging aspects and that I'm probably still riding like a sissy by comparison.   :-\

Sounds like a race is in order  :crazy

The small track was a blast, the big one was a bit much for me, I couldn't do much more than roll over the majority of the jumps. The small track though, we were both catching major air! (could only be measured in mm ;D)

RichVee4

The current "main" course was more technical and loose for my preference or ability, but we found an older track to the West that was perfect for practicing at our skill level.   It had just the right amount of corner banking and moderate jumps with well designed landing zones.   Surface was nicely packed sand plus we had it to ourselves most of the time.    By the end we had a pretty good pace, but we both agreed that we were glad to not be MX racers.  

My crash came early in the ride on the main track when I took my eye off the ball for a second to look for Scott and got to high in a big banked corner and lost the front in the soft sand at the top.  

Overall I thought it was a blast and good place to practice skills.   It would be a great place for a larger group to hangout and do some riding together, hint, hint :)      
Live long and prosper \V/

GreenMachine

Where and what time tomorrow SL?  Dog Valley is an area I haven't been to on motorized transportation.

slmoto

Quote from: GreenMachine on November 07, 2014, 08:12:13 AM
Where and what time tomorrow SL?  Dog Valley is an area I haven't been to on motorized transportation.

I haven't been there yet either, I was just looking for somewhere I haven't gone yet. We could follow the directions from RiderPlanet

http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trails/info/nevada_07566/directions_99f1.htm

If you wanted we could meet and leave from the northern meeting spot for street rides at Starbucks on N. McCarran and caravan out to the staging area?
How does 9:30am at Starbucks on N. McCarran sound? That should get us to the staging area about 10am, if you prefer an earlier or later start let me know I'm good with whatever.

GreenMachine

*bucks parking lot will be full, but next door at the AT&T, between *bucks and the 7/11 gas station would work.  9:30AM will give me time to make up a sandwich and put a case of beer on ice.

slmoto

Quote from: GreenMachine on November 07, 2014, 08:40:45 PM
*bucks parking lot will be full, but next door at the AT&T, between *bucks and the 7/11 gas station would work.  9:30AM will give me time to make up a sandwich and put a case of beer on ice.

Sounds good, I was going to stop at that gas station anyway to check my tire pressure.

GreenMachine

If you want to save your nickle, you can use my electric pump.  I'll have it with me.

GreenMachine

Just got off the phone with SkydiverDCM up in Truckee.  He can't ride tomorrow, but he knows all that area back in there.  He says there's plenty of opportunity for 288 to ride his quad.  And even if there are areas he can't go, we can always loop it around while he does laps.  We could just coordinate a rendezvous time and place & play it by ear.

I'll be hitting happy-hour somewhere tomorrow evening too, after post-ride cleanup.

TB5 is a maybe, he TM'ed me.