Main Menu

New to Dirt

Started by slmoto, September 19, 2014, 09:32:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dub

I think that's what I meant when I said the learning curve is steep.

I crash at least 2 times every single time I go riding in the dirt.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

Mel

Sounds like you're doing it right Dub ;)! Crashing in the dirt is how you learn and that's a fact 8)!

Mel

dub

I just hate it when I crash before lunch and squish the sandwich in my pack.

Tahoebrian5

I like to crash within the first ten minutes to get it outa the way. I'm planning to ride on Sunday if anyone is interested. Probably ride moon rocks. I actually don't consider peavine to be a good beginner area. Lots of rocks. I mean everywhere! That is unless you stay on the main road, but then you might as well be on the street. Your much better off learning in softer terrain.. Like moonrocks:).
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

RichVee4

I did a short ride up Peavine today to test out the bike and gear.    Made some adjustments to foot controls but overall happy with gear and feel of bike.  No crashes so guess I didn't push hard enough or am that good :)    Would consider a moon rocks ride Sunday, but do you know if there is cell signal out there?    I am on call this weekend so need to stay in cell range.
Live long and prosper \V/

GreenMachine

You'll just have to crash twice as much on the next go around.

I think Verizon phones work out there, but not AT&T.

I'm not even thinking about dirt riding this weekend: too hot for that yet.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

RichVee4

TB5 are you still thinking about a moon rocks ride Sunday?  I will have a pretty good idea of my work schedule Sunday by 8am.  If work is quiet, I could head out after 8 and ride for a few hrs.   Morning temps should be comfortable for riding, afternoon might get a little warm. 

RichVee4

I take it this is not going to happen. 

Tahoebrian5

Hey Rich, sorry I forgot about this thread. I'd be happy to show you around. Let me know when is good.

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

RichVee4

No prob, that's what I figured.  Instead the dog got a nice ride and swim at Boca so she was a happy girl.

Next time we need to make an official thread to kick off the dirt season right.

Tahoebrian5

I was thinking the same thing. I think the temps are dropping next week so I'm planning to ride street this weekend. High 60's is perfect riding. SSA moonrocks day sounds good

slmoto

Finally got out and rode today for my first time. Got back with my truck last night, anxious to hit the dirt for the first time I loaded up the bike at lunch and sneaked out of work for a few hours and road up Peavine. I don't know about the few rocks thing, I seemed to fine plenty. I left from the Raleigh Heights area, that may be why, and didn't reach the fire road until about the last third up to the top.

I had a blast though, dropped the bike once when I stalled going up a steep (for me) loose rock section and again at the very top trying to maneuver the bike to lean on something while I looked around (I guess I should probably look into getting a kick stand). The second drop did something though because when I went to get going the throttle didn't have any spring back so it would stay open unless you closed it manually. Then on the way down I took my first and only spill, playing around trying to power the back end around a tight corner, probably getting ahead of myself and past my skill level, just too anxious to spin the tires and slide around something I don't get to do on the street. The good thing about the crash was my throttle started to work correctly again, the bad was I bent my handle bars.

All and all had a great time my first time out and look forward to many more rides.

Thanks again to Rich who helped move the process of registration along taking me to get my vin verification, if it weren't for that I'd be waiting around another week.

dub

The bars probably aren't bent rather the forks are just twisted in the triple clamps. It happens often when you crash a dirt bike. Loosen the lower triple pinch bolts, hold the front wheel between your legs and wrench back and forth on the bars. Snug the pinch bolts back up and everything will be straight again.

slmoto

Quote from: dub on October 16, 2014, 08:46:22 PM
The bars probably aren't bent rather the forks are just twisted in the triple clamps. It happens often when you crash a dirt bike. Loosen the lower triple pinch bolts, hold the front wheel between your legs and wrench back and forth on the bars. Snug the pinch bolts back up and everything will be straight again.

Thanks, I'll try this out. This make sense as I kept looking to see how or where the bars were bent but couldn't figure it out so it's probably what you are saying.

slmoto

Thanks for the advise Dub, what you said worked! Saved me from getting new bars which wouldn't have solved the problem anyway.

On the throttle sticking it turns out that I cracked the throttle tube, looks like I'll have to get a new one of those.

Anyone use the aluminum throttle tubes over the plastic? Seems if I'm going to be dumping this thing often the aluminum may be more durable, any downsides to them or reason to use plastic instead (other than the price)? Seems pretty straight forward but this is all new to me so who knows what I may be overlooking.