Main Menu

New to Dirt

Started by slmoto, September 19, 2014, 09:32:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slmoto

Looks like the dirt section is not used all that much but thought I'd post up anyway.

Just picked up a dirt bike earlier this week and have been piecing together the gear to go with it.
I'm totally new to dirt, haven't been on it at all yet but looking forward to putting in the time to get the hang of it. Any other newbies out there want to ride or anyone in general willing to ride with a less experienced rider hit me up, I'm anxious to get out there.

Cheers,
Scott

GreenMachine

That's awesome SL.  I think this section is going to get more use here shortly.  Winter or after a rain are prime times for dirt riding.  It's cooler and there's less dust.  I bought TB5's previous bike and Rich just picked up a 250 also.  Oh yeah, we'll be riding a lot this winter!

Do you have a truck to transport it?

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

slmoto

Quote from: GreenMachine on September 19, 2014, 10:11:08 AM
Do you have a truck to transport it?

I got a trailer that holds two bikes with the deal and I have an old truck that I've been storing in the Bay Area that I've sent to a mechanic to get looked over and buttoned up since it's been sitting for some time. I hope to pick up the truck in a week or two. Then I should be fully ready to go.

In the mean time I may just rent a pickup from U-Haul to tow the trailer to nearby trails if I get to impatient to wait two weeks to start riding (which is highly likely). They have the $20 in town rentals, if I keep it close it shouldn't be too much.

dub

Hell yeah dude, now you're talking, congrats. So much awesome riding in our area. I don't get bummed out when the street riding season winds down, because it means the dirt season is just about to start! I park the dirt bike all summer and only ride in the winter when it's nice and cool.

As far as gear, my one piece of advice is go all out with the boots. They are by far the most important piece of gear, imo. The good ones aren't cheap. In fact, they are pretty damn expensive. But it's worth it not break your foot by bashing them on rocks; which will happen all the time.

Riding dirt is totally different from riding street; the learning curve is steep. You'll have to get used to the bike moving around a lot and most of the direction change is done with body english and throttle, rather than just counter steering. But the skill set obtained will make you a better rider overall. Have fun!
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

slmoto

Quote from: dub on September 19, 2014, 11:07:48 AM
Hell yeah dude, now you're talking, congrats. So much awesome riding in our area. I don't get bummed out when the street riding season winds down, because it means the dirt season is just about to start! I park the dirt bike all summer and only ride in the winter when it's nice and cool.

As far as gear, my one piece of advice is go all out with the boots. They are by far the most important piece of gear, imo. The good ones aren't cheap. In fact, they are pretty damn expensive. But it's worth it not break your foot by bashing them on rocks; which will happen all the time.

Riding dirt is totally different from riding street; the learning curve is steep. You'll have to get used to the bike moving around a lot and most of the direction change is done with body english and throttle, rather than just counter steering. But the skill set obtained will make you a better rider overall. Have fun!

Thanks, I'm excited and looking forward to it.  Part of the reason for getting a dirt bike right now was to extend the riding season and another reason is to improve overall skill and of course it just looks like fun.

I figured the boots would be really important in dirt riding. I got some Alpinestars Tech 7's, not totally all out but hopefully will do me for now until I can upgrade in the future when I'm not spending so much money at once.

GreenMachine

SL, you're joining good company.
QuoteRossi hosts MotoGP champ Marquez, world-class riders at MotorRanch - 09/19/14

Following his victory at Misano on Sunday, Valentino Rossi invited MotoGP World Champion Marc Marquez and a host of Grand Prix stars for a day of riding at his impressive MotorRanch facility.

Rossi and Marquez were joined by the likes of Francesco Bagnaia, Leon Camier, Loris Capirossi, Luca Marini, Andrea Migno, Franco Morbidelli, Miguel Oliveira, Mattia Pasini, Tito Rabat and Bradley Smith for a day of dirt riding.

Just a few kilometers from Misano — the scene of Rossi's superb victory and the uncharacteristic Marquez crash which saw him end up 15th in the race on Sunday — the riders reconvened at Rossi's MotorRanch dirt circuit on the outskirts of his home town of Tavullia.

The nine-time World Champion regularly rides and trains at the purpose-built facility, which is also a training ground for the young riders of the VR46 Academy. Marquez is a keen motocross rider in his spare time and spent the day riding a Honda CRF 450 alongside Rossi and their racing colleagues. - Foxsports.com

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

RichVee4

Sl, congrats on the dirt bike.  We will definitely get out riding together.  I have a trailer that will hold 3 so can pick you up on the way out of town if you need.  I am hoping that my registration will be completed in the next week or so. I am on take two with the DMV, sort of a pain having to do all the paperwork via mail to DMV in Carson.  Was missing a OHV decal registration form last go around. 

I'm thinking my first ride on my bike will be up Peavine via the gravel road from Stead in the next few weeks.  I will post up when I go, you would like it. Its an easy ride and cool views.   Good introduction to what you got yourself into!
Live long and prosper \V/

GreenMachine

Quote from: RichVee4 on September 20, 2014, 07:11:59 AM
... Its an easy ride and cool views.   Good introduction to what you got yourself into!
Wrong!  The only proper introduction is scary death cliffs and rocky hills where if you crash you break an arm or something. Right TB5?  :|)

slmoto

Quote from: RichVee4 on September 20, 2014, 07:11:59 AM
Sl, congrats on the dirt bike.  We will definitely get out riding together.  I have a trailer that will hold 3 so can pick you up on the way out of town if you need.  I am hoping that my registration will be completed in the next week or so. I am on take two with the DMV, sort of a pain having to do all the paperwork via mail to DMV in Carson.  Was missing a OHV decal registration form last go around. 

I'm thinking my first ride on my bike will be up Peavine via the gravel road from Stead in the next few weeks.  I will post up when I go, you would like it. Its an easy ride and cool views.   Good introduction to what you got yourself into!

That would be great! I'm sorting out all the DMV stuff right now too. The bike I got was a California bike so I have to change the title on top of getting it registered in NV.

GreenMachine

Silly amatures! Should have bought TB5's bike. It's inclusive.  :chilling

RichVee4

Here's the link to NV OHV site, if you don't already have it.  The local DMV offices don't handle the OHV reg so you have to mail everything to Carson City.  I got my VIN inspection done at Big Valley Honda.

http://nvohv.com/

GM,  What bike is TB5 selling??  Thought you bought his old bike.

Live long and prosper \V/

GreenMachine

Yes, past tense.  It's in my garage. 

slmoto

Quote from: RichVee4 on September 21, 2014, 03:20:32 PM
Here's the link to NV OHV site, if you don't already have it.  The local DMV offices don't handle the OHV reg so you have to mail everything to Carson City.  I got my VIN inspection done at Big Valley Honda.

http://nvohv.com/

Thanks, I was familiar with it as well as the no DMV thing. Lame, would be nice to go down to the DMV or wherever and just knock it all out in one shot and walk out with a sticker.

Now I'm debating to just leave it a CA bike for the title. I still have an address in CA I can use and being an 01 should be able to get a green sticker for it. Either way I have to go get it inspected and I'm being held up by not having my truck here yet. I'm going to have to go get it sooner than later as I'm itching to get on the dirt!

Mel

That is so cool SL 8)! What these guys aren't telling you is that the learning curve in riding the dirt involves lots of crashing, so be prepared to get beat up a bit :)! Trust me, if they say they have never crashed, or only crashed a couple times, then they are still newbies in the dirt ;)!!

Mel

slmoto

Quote from: Mel on September 25, 2014, 10:55:47 PM
That is so cool SL 8)! What these guys aren't telling you is that the learning curve in riding the dirt involves lots of crashing, so be prepared to get beat up a bit :)! Trust me, if they say they have never crashed, or only crashed a couple times, then they are still newbies in the dirt ;)!!

Mel

I figured as much which is why I've been piecing together all the gear I can to minimize injury.