Main Menu

Understanding stickers for California riding before purchase

Started by GreenMachine, March 10, 2012, 11:29:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

Any advise for someone looking to buy a model year 2006+ dirt bike for riding in Northern Nevada/California?
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

dub

Go to BARF, go to the dirt biking sub forum.  There will be a sticky at the top explaining everything.  You shouldn't have any issues riding in CA w/ a 2006+ bike.

You gonna get into dirt biking?  I just went out for my first ever ride yesterday.  Today I'm sore as hell and I can't wait to do it again.

Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

n10sive

BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

GreenMachine

Quote from: dub on March 12, 2012, 03:10:52 PM
Go to BARF, go to the dirt biking sub forum.  There will be a sticky at the top explaining everything.  You shouldn't have any issues riding in CA w/ a 2006+ bike.

You gonna get into dirt biking?  I just went out for my first ever ride yesterday.  Today I'm sore as hell and I can't wait to do it again...
Why not!  It looks like yet another way I can scare the heck outta myself.  :D  May I ask how much you spent for yours?  That looks like a CRF450x.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

dub

Mine's a 2001 XR250R.  It was a good deal from a friend at $1200.

GreenMachine

Quote from: dub on March 12, 2012, 03:10:52 PM...I just went out for my first ever ride yesterday.  Today I'm sore as hell and I can't wait to do it again...
I've called several sellers on CL and none of them answer or return phone calls.   :-\  Been vacillating between several different bikes and models, but haven't ridden any of them and wouldn't be able to really tell a good running bike from a bad one. 

TahoeBrian rides too.  He and his group have green-sticker non-street legal enduro 450s.  Trying to get one, but have also been looking at 300 & 400s.

Justin

In the region we reside and ride in, the sticker color doesn't make a difference.
Some places restrict when a 'red sticker' bike can be ridden.

dub

Quote from: GreenMachine on March 10, 2012, 11:29:13 AM
Any advise for someone looking to buy a model year 2006+ dirt bike for riding in Northern Nevada/California?

Quote from: Justin on March 19, 2012, 10:45:45 PMIn the region we reside and ride in, the sticker color doesn't make a difference...

It does if you plan on venturing but a few miles West.

Justin

Quote from: dub on March 20, 2012, 01:14:40 PM
Quote from: GreenMachine on March 10, 2012, 11:29:13 AM

Quote from: Justin on March 19, 2012, 10:45:45 PMIn the region we reside and ride in, the sticker color doesn't make a difference...

It does if you plan on venturing but a few miles West.
Despite Wiles assertion to the contrary, sticker color doesn't make a difference in this region.
http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=21928

dub

Well look at that, all the Tahoe areas are year round. 

It also occurs to me that GM will have a bike owned in NV and will receive a non-resident OHV sticker from CA.  Do they give out different colors for non-resident stickers like they do for CA registered bikes, or is it just one flavor?

n10sive

I believe Testa Motorsports sells them in Gardnerville if you ever need to pick one up while you're riding down here.
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

dub

Quote from: dub on March 21, 2012, 11:11:27 AMIt also occurs to me that GM will have a bike owned in NV and will receive a non-resident OHV sticker from CA.  Do they give out different colors for non-resident stickers like they do for CA registered bikes, or is it just one flavor?

I answered my own question.  http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=26294

As an NV resident, you must have a California Non-Resident OHV Use Permit to ride in CA.  Said permit is not restricted to the red-sticker riding season.

So, it doesn't matter what bike you buy, GM, you will be able to ride it in CA whenever you please.

Quote from: n10sive on March 21, 2012, 03:24:32 PM
I believe Testa Motorsports sells them in Gardnerville if you ever need to pick one up while you're riding down here.

True