Main Menu

Just got a dirt bike and have no fing idea where to go

Started by CptnHornblower, June 05, 2011, 01:51:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CptnHornblower

After another weekend of road biking washed (rained/snowed) out I broke down and bought a new to me dirt bike. Never been on one before and have no clue where to go for some good newbie (do you call them squids in dirt biking too?) riding. If anyone wants someone to follow them around, shoot me an email. I should be ready to go by next weekend. Maybe Saturday incase Sunday is actually ridable on my road bike?
Earnest Hemingway : There are only 3 sports, Bullfighting, Motor Racing and Mountain climbing. All the rest are games.

GreenMachine

Great idea.  There are miles and miles of open trails all around Reno/CC.   You can see them all over the surrounding communities flying in and out of here. 
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

cobra23

I come from Washington. I thought riding in the woods was the thing. 45 mph through the trees ooohhhh yea!!

I come to Reno....

You can ride the desert, the dunes, and the woods, all within a 75 mile radius. This is great dirt biking territory. I would suggest  Pea Vine, but watch for other riders (it's a popular place). I ride just south of my house in Fernley. I would be happy to show you around there but the scenery is basically desert. If you have not ridden (dirt) much it would be a good area to get familuar with the bike.

Of course, I do have titanium in my skull from the last ride....heee heee. Actually the next  ride and every one after that will be at "old man pace" as I am done with risking another "big one". Celebrating your 50th birthday in the hospital is not fun.

Be safe get some gear.

edmunsan

Holy cow ! Activity in the dirt section! I ride Pine Nuts (Douglas Co.)or ANYWHERE. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qv3SLrzxKk&feature=related
I am also at old man pace 50 yr old. I use Leatt neck brace, Asterisk knee brace, Bohn padded shorts, Pressure suit, roost guard plus the typical dirt riding gear. Please invest in good riding protective gear. Ride with experienced riders whom are willing to help you develope and survive the learning curve.
MOTOISM my desease from wich there is no cure.

n10sive

BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

edmunsan

Yea about $1500 worth of armadillo crap on my ass! Gives me confidence when doing this

or if I decide to jump over the road

Maybe if it get's cold

GreenMachine

Ed, $1500 for gear?  That's for berming and jumping like you're doing.  What about just trail riding?  Or is it one of those things where everyone starts off just saying "trail riding," but then gets crazy and starts jumping without the proper boots & gear?

I'd like to take a crack at an occasional dirt bike ride, but don't want to sink a ton into gear that I'll use once or twice.

It looks like you're having a blast!
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

edmunsan

Must know yourself! How many times have you wrapped your hands around a throttle and took it easy the whole entire ride. Ive seen you wring the crap out your throttle. Same will happen on trail rides. Trail rides can be most challenging decipline. Cheaper alternatives to type of gear I have are available. I just encourage neck brace, knee brace, elbow, torso protection, as a must. But then again thats just me I wear an air bag on my stree bike.

cobra23

The second pisture (middle one) looks like what I was doing right before "lights out", then hospital.....   I can't look.