Main Menu
  • Welcome to SSA Sierra Sportbike Association | Reno Nevada Motorcycle Trackday Weekend Riding Club.

Trackdays! Why once a month??

Started by Jp_Rio, August 03, 2010, 09:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jp_Rio

So here is my question which is part curiosity (70%) and part complaint (30%):  ;D

Why does SSA only organizes 1 trackday event a month?

- Is it a money issue? Like the number of people attending to more than one event would be too small that wouldn't be able to hold.
- Is it lack of dates on RFRT?
- Is it because takes a lot of effort to organize the event?
- Is it because riders like to attend to other tracks and that would decrease the number of participants?
- Is it... i dont know...

What would be the reason? Have you guys ever tried to organize it more than once a month? If so, what were the bads that made you decide to leave it alone?

What about the one in July? I remember my president saying that was too hot. Is that a problem only for the riders (like on the paddock area, riding on the hot) or would that prejudice the bikes and gears as well (I dont know...thats why I am asking). Was ever a vote made, like lets say: who wants a track day on July? Please, voice here! And seen how many "yes" votes we could get. Have you guys done it on the past and realized that was actually waaay too hot to keep doing it?

I am asking all those questions because as you can see, I am a track lunatic (already) and the only reason that would stop me from going on the track out of all above would be money, other than that, I would basically attend to a track day every weekend. Dont know if would make both days though,  ;D but I would be there. But that would be another extreme and maybe just me, but like twice a month should be something to think about, shouldn't it??

Alright guys, what do you think??

And again, this is not to start any trouble, is just so I know better this group that I have so much to thank already.
What?? Trackday?? I'm in!!!

dub

I think it's probably a combination of the reasons you listed above.  
As you can see here RFR is pretty booked up (which is a good thing).  Just a guess, let's see what the powers that be say.

Between the clubs, the for profit track time companies and the 4 tracks within easy driving distance you could easily ride the track every weekend if you wanted to.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

n10sive

JP, in past years we have had several trackday providers coming to RFR...Z2, Kegwin's, Pacific and an occasional other. There were actually months when you could ride 3 weekends of the month. However, the numbers started to drop off due to several factors and those providers no longer find it profitable to run trackdays here. If we are lucky, things will go back that way some day.
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

Adiggity

Yes, the problem is that there just aren't enough people in the area or surrounding areas that agree with your stance...or at least that are willing to commit to coming if we had them. The biggest issue would be getting them to fill up. (money being probably the biggest reason)

As for the July trackday issue, the answer is yes to a lot of your questions. It is too hot for most. Too hot for being in the pits, too hot for any of their friends/families to come out and watch and some would say too hot to ride. I'm not sure if you've ever tried to ride in 100+ degree weather, but you can definitely loose focus easier when your trying to ride at a higher level. And the tires are gummier which some people don't like that feeling.

I like where your heads at though JP.  :) And remember, you can always go over the hill and do a trackday. RFR has test n tunes you can do too.

jlavallee

I too agree that the money is probably the biggest factor for most. If you're running in the C or slower B group it is basically just the fee as the bike is on road tires. As you progress, you start going to increasingly sticky rubber that lasts only for 2 maybe 3 days and all the other components wear faster along with increased risk of crashes.

A track weekend is say $250 in fees if you pay early with SSA, $400 in tires, then you have gas, meals etc... Even a "cheap" weekend at RFR can be $750 without any issues. Not many have disposable beyond that kind each month.

I hope we can get back to having multiple providers for more flexibility as I would likely only do one day at a time but more often if I could. I'm too out of shape to fully enjoy a full weekend. Hell, I can't remember the last time I rode every session in a day.

All in all, I like the current schedule as it gives you something to aim for. I've always had trouble making dates as I am not one of those union guys that can schedule when they want.

A DRAGON

Well I couldn't have said it better myself.  ;)
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

Team Gorgonzola

I simply could not attend a track day every weekend, even if it was free. I am busy on weekends and have to make special arrangements for me to be off on the weekends. Also if I had more time I would travel to T-Hill for some different riding and even Miller would be a choice.
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube.
-Hunter S. Thompson-

Jp_Rio

Thanks for all the replies guys. They helped me to have a better understanding of why only one trackday a month.

Some of the points I completely understand, or should I say I understand all of them, but some of them are isolated cases (or maybe not - but at least nobody else said it) like Jason's and Alberto's. I'm pretty sure that there might be more people that could not make 2 or more weekends because they are busy prepping some good pasta or because they are at a level where it is just to expensive to do a trackday. But I would say that at least the "higher level" situation is not the case for, if not majority, at least half of the people I saw riding on June 19th (again, all this is being said with just one trackday experience, so this is a newbie perspective).

I am neither too busy (on the weekends  :D), neither a hell of a good driver that needs slick tires every weekend and I am pretty sure that there is a lot of people that fits in this situation, but then comes the issue that prevents a lot of people from doing a lot of stuff: money.

Even I, if I had the chance to do a trackday every weekend, I wouldnt be able too due to money shortage. But I could probably do around 3 days without a problem and I guess I would rather do one day a weekend than spending two consecutive days (never done it, lets see after August what I think about two days in a roll) and then having to wait the rest of the freacking month to go and smell RFRT again! The only reason why I didnt really get upset about not having a trackday on July was because I crashed!  ;D ;D So I couldnt go anyway, but I am telling you that waiting for this long to step on the track again, at least for me, is being the biggest torture ever.

Trying to prevent this from getting any longer, I saw suggestions about going to other places and everything should be fine. I agree, but in my case, lets compare:

1) I dont have a car
- RFRT -- Rideable
- Other tracks -- I would either have to ride there (little madness) or have someone towing my car, which reduces my 'free will'

2) The cheapest ones I found were around 170 bucks a day! I know its zoom zoom or whoever, but i dont see anything wrong with the SSA folks. Heck, Dave Moss is coming to our trackday, so that should say something!  8)

3) Place to sleep
-RFRT -- Live 40 minutes away. Can easily come back home
- Other tracks -- Would have to either camp (again, ask for more people's help) or stay at a hotel (hostel) = More $$

4) The track lines itself - I just loved RFRT and for a beginner, nothing better than hitting the same track all over again (at least this is how I see it) so you get more confidence and are able to increase your speed at a faster pace.

Anyways, as I said at the beginning, this was more curiosity than a complaint, but I would really like to see RFRT hosting more than one trackday for bikes a month. I dont know you guys but wait desperately for 5 weekends out of 52 that we have in a year doesnt sound like fun!

And Mr Adiggity, unfortunately, I cant make to the Test n Tune days, just yet. But here stays the promise: I'll ride along you at one of those days in the future!!

Team Gorgonzola

For the two days debacle, I can help you get there, bike and all, with my truck and trailer, and take you back at the end of the day. Next morning I can drive you out there and bring you back when the weekend is over. I do that with Andrei all the time, is nice to have company and I am going there anyway.
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube.
-Hunter S. Thompson-

Jp_Rio

Quote from: Team Gorgonzola on August 05, 2010, 09:53:42 AM
For the two days debacle, I can help you get there, bike and all, with my truck and trailer, and take you back at the end of the day. Next morning I can drive you out there and bring you back when the weekend is over. I do that with Andrei all the time, is nice to have company and I am going there anyway.

I dont remember saying that anywhere  ;D ;D, but I was actually gonna start asking around if someone could give me a ride and tow my bike or just bring my stuff to the track and I would ride over there, because I dont think my friends will go this time. But once you offered, heck yeah that would be awesome!!! Would that include some free pasta for breakfast too??? hahahah Just kidding my friend. We'll talk more about it at the bike night right before the trackday!

Thanks Albertoni!  8)

Jp_Rio

And I know is off topic but I guess I can do it once I created the topic, right?? I wont complain about myself I guess...hahah

Anyways, I just RODE MY BIKE to downtown yesterday. PHOENIX is back, and so is her rider! There is still some stuff missing, which havent gotten here yet, but it will be more than ready for August (Considering that nothing extraordinary happens!  ;D ;D)

Cant wait!

Is it 21st yet??  8)

dub

Quote from: Jp_Rio on August 05, 2010, 10:06:37 AM...
Anyways, I just RODE MY BIKE to downtown yesterday. PHOENIX is back, and so is her rider! There is still some stuff missing, which havent gotten here yet, but it will be more than ready for August (Considering that nothing extraordinary happens!  ;D ;D)...

Sweet, Phoenix rises from the ashes.  Glad to see your back in action.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

sparkygixxer

Quote from: Jp_Rio on August 05, 2010, 10:06:37 AM
Anyways, I just RODE MY BIKE to downtown yesterday. PHOENIX is back, and so is her rider! There is still some stuff missing, which havent gotten here yet, but it will be more than ready for August (Considering that nothing extraordinary happens!  ;D ;D)

Whoohoo, great to hear it!!!  See you at the track :D

A DRAGON

JP. I do have plans for next year. Your going to be alright. I'd like to go over the hill for a thunderhill day. I just have family stuff right now. I usually buy a 10 pak from Keigwin. I won't be able to do that for a couple of years from now. I think I'll wait until age 3 or 4 then I can take him with me.
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

Jp_Rio

Thanks guys! It feels really good to be back! No idea!

But when you guys mentioned going over the hill was it about Infineon or Thunderhill? Or both? Is there any other track less than 3 hours away!?