Main Menu

Hello all - trackday questions from the newb

Started by rabbit, July 20, 2010, 04:53:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rabbit

Hello to all  ;D Just registered for the forum because I moved here from the east coast. My bike isn't even here yet, but I'm looking forward to hitting the track again.Forgive me if the info is here somewhere, but I can't find it. I have a couple questions that I couldn't find answers to (lots of dead links):

1. Do we pick our own group at registration, or are first time riders required to ride novice and get bumped?
2. Anybody have a track map? Is it run in different configurations or is it always the same layout?
3. Are numbers registerd to members, or is it first come first served at the track?
4. I saw something about the track requiring a competition license. Does that still hold? I'm not fast enough to ever consider racing, but I'm a veteran of the track.
5. Somebody give me a short summary on the situation at RFR? When I was checking out tracks before the move I saw it was shut down and up for sale.
6. I'm in Reno so RFR would be closest. Followed by Sears Point and Thunderhill. Any other tracks in that distance? Which ones are the most popular?

Sorry about all the questions, but the groups I rode with don't operate out here (Team Pro Motion and Sportbike Track Time). I tried hunting for answers, but this board isn't as active as the ones I'm used to - with lots of stickies and such for the newbs.

Jp_Rio

Quote from: rabbit on July 20, 2010, 04:53:53 PM
Hello to all  ;D Just registered for the forum because I moved here from the east coast. My bike isn't even here yet, but I'm looking forward to hitting the track again.Forgive me if the info is here somewhere, but I can't find it. I have a couple questions that I couldn't find answers to (lots of dead links):

1. Do we pick our own group at registration, or are first time riders required to ride novice and get bumped?
2. Anybody have a track map? Is it run in different configurations or is it always the same layout?
3. Are numbers registerd to members, or is it first come first served at the track?
4. I saw something about the track requiring a competition license. Does that still hold? I'm not fast enough to ever consider racing, but I'm a veteran of the track.
5. Somebody give me a short summary on the situation at RFR? When I was checking out tracks before the move I saw it was shut down and up for sale.
6. I'm in Reno so RFR would be closest. Followed by Sears Point and Thunderhill. Any other tracks in that distance? Which ones are the most popular?

Sorry about all the questions, but the groups I rode with don't operate out here (Team Pro Motion and Sportbike Track Time). I tried hunting for answers, but this board isn't as active as the ones I'm used to - with lots of stickies and such for the newbs.

Well, I'm a newbie as well but I guess I can answer some of those questions...

1. This one I'm not sure but I guess once seems to be your first time at RFR I would assume you have to go on Novice class at least the very first time (but I can be completely wrong and would like one of the veterans to answer that cause I'm also curious...)

2. You can go to http://www.renofernleyracetrack.com/images/RenoFernley_Racetrack_Config-1.gif  You will find all the configurations over there. They usually run the C configuration but a thread was posted to bring the question of different configurations up. But as far as I am concerned, C is the standard and they would announce far ahead in case other configuration would be ran at a certain track day.

3. Hun, that's an interesting question. But if I can share another assumption of mine, I would say that you can pick any number you want. Once the track day is not a race, there is no need for distinguishing riders (am I right?). But in the case of the race that is coming up (which you might have already seen somewhere and I'll tell you in a bit why) I have no idea how the number subject is addressed. This website www.ttpracing.com has all the information you need related to the upcoming race together with contact information of the organizers.  ;)

4. Here is why I think you saw something about the race. That was the only time I saw a competition license being required and I am not quite sure how that will work. But one thing I can guarantee: There is no competition license requirement for TRACKDAYS or I violated this law otherwise on last June 19th  ;D ;D. So the answer is no, you dont need a competition license.

5 and 6. These ones I'll let the veterans speak up...  ;)

And again, I'm a newbie here so forgive me if any of those answers are wrong. In that case, I'm pretty sure someone will come and correct the situation and I will have my own thoughts clarified.  8)
What?? Trackday?? I'm in!!!

reno240sx

Hello to all  ;D Just registered for the forum because I moved here from the east coast. My bike isn't even here yet, but I'm looking forward to hitting the track again.Forgive me if the info is here somewhere, but I can't find it. I have a couple questions that I couldn't find answers to (lots of dead links):

1. You pick your own group when you register. C group is the novice group, B is intermediate, and A is the advanced group. Usually you can switch groups if you go out there and feel you are either too slow or fast.

2. Like Jp said they usually run the C configuration.

3. No numbers needed. I know there are some trackday companies that require numbers to identify bikes, but none of the ones in northern Nevada/California do.

4. Not for trackdays. The competition license is required for some of the test and tune days, but if you have been to a few track days they usually waive that.

5. The track went bankrupt and I think it is still up for sale. The bank is operating it now while they try to sell it.

6. You are right with Thunderhill and Sears Point being the closest after RFR. Laguna is also pretty close. I think Thunderhill is probably the most popular, it is a great track and a little cheaper than Sears.

For the other tracks check out www.zoomzoomtrackdays.com, www.keigwins.com, and www.pacifictracktime.com
Hope this helps out, and welcome to Reno!

mikey

ducati brothers

916 (2wcp 955 big bore kit)

A DRAGON

Quote from: reno240sx on July 20, 2010, 08:57:16 PM
Hello to all  ;D Just registered for the forum because I moved here from the east coast. My bike isn't even here yet, but I'm looking forward to hitting the track again.Forgive me if the info is here somewhere, but I can't find it. I have a couple questions that I couldn't find answers to (lots of dead links):

1. You pick your own group when you register. C group is the novice group, B is intermediate, and A is the advanced group. Usually you can switch groups if you go out there and feel you are either too slow or fast.

2. Like Jp said they usually run the C configuration.

3. No numbers needed. I know there are some trackday companies that require numbers to identify bikes, but none of the ones in northern Nevada/California do.

4. Not for trackdays. The competition license is required for some of the test and tune days, but if you have been to a few track days they usually waive that.

5. The track went bankrupt and I think it is still up for sale. The bank is operating it now while they try to sell it.

6. You are right with Thunderhill and Sears Point being the closest after RFR. Laguna is also pretty close. I think Thunderhill is probably the most popular, it is a great track and a little cheaper than Sears.

For the other tracks check out www.zoomzoomtrackdays.com, www.keigwins.com, and www.pacifictracktime.com
Hope this helps out, and welcome to Reno!

Could not have said it better myself.

1. If you know your speed we can generally tell you what group to start in. Generally if your new to a track C group is a good group to start in. If your doing a lot of Track days. And your pretty comfortable going at a quik pace you can start out in the B group. We can always bump you up.  If you familiar to track days your not offended by this because you know how important it is. And you know we only do this for Safety. It's to easy to get hurt out there. We want to prevent that as much as we can. So please be patience with us. That's our goal.

2. We generally run the C configuration because it's the most popular. I'd like to run some of the others. But we try and do what our customers want as much as possible. After all Their the ones on the track.

3. As far a numbers. They are usually provided by the photographers. You can put what ever number you like on your bike. It's OK. 4Theriders  photographer will always pick you out and put you in the computer to make it easy to find your self. They are a nice thing to have on the track. But not required.  

4,5 and 6 are all answered very well. I just had to put in my 2 cents worth.

Rabbit. Welcome to the SSA. If you can't make our Track Day on  August 21 & 22 nd. Come out anyway. It's a pretty good time.
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

rabbit

Thanks for all the replies! I ran either intra-mediate or advanced back home, but I just looked at the track map and I think I'll run novice my first time out! That thing is a monster! Plus I'm guessing you left coasters are a lot better than me anyway since you have nearly year round riding weather.

Numbers were always required in the orgs I ran. It was just the easiest way of identifying you. That way if you pulled some bonehead move or had mechanical issues out on the track the marshalls or the CRs could pick you out.

Thanks again for all the help. Look forward to meeting you guys whenever I get my gear out here. I shipped my car here, but the trailer and bike aren't coming until we move everything else.

dragxs11

Welcome rabbit,
look forward to seeing you out there.  I'll be at RFR this Sat for a test&tune if you want to scope it out.  I'll be happy to help as much as I can with any ?'s to get you up to speed.  These SSA guys have done a superb job with their track days, I think you'll be pleased with that.

Team Gorgonzola

Rabbit, good to see you on the board, once you have RFRT figured out you'll have a blast, one of our instructors hold the lap record there and he is always available for one-on-one sessions at our track days.
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube.
-Hunter S. Thompson-

A DRAGON

Rabbit. If you need some gear. Let me know I might have some you can borrow. Or someone else on the site could hook you up. I'll be a the MotoGP this weekend.  If you can got to our thread of the Motogp and pick your 5 riders that you think would 1-5. There's a prize for that.
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

rabbit

Quote from: A DRAGON on July 21, 2010, 12:44:43 PM
If you need some gear. Let me know I might have some you can borrow.
Holy hospitality, Batman! That's mighty generous of you, but this isn't a matter of a back protector or extra pucks. I literally have nothing with me so I'll wait for my trailer to get here (whenever that might be).

On a side note, any GDC guys here?

jlavallee

Quote from: rabbit on July 21, 2010, 07:40:45 AM
Thanks for all the replies! I ran either intra-mediate or advanced back home, but I just looked at the track map and I think I'll run novice my first time out! That thing is a monster! Plus I'm guessing you left coasters are a lot better than me anyway since you have nearly year round riding weather.

Numbers were always required in the orgs I ran. It was just the easiest way of identifying you. That way if you pulled some bonehead move or had mechanical issues out on the track the marshalls or the CRs could pick you out.

Thanks again for all the help. Look forward to meeting you guys whenever I get my gear out here. I shipped my car here, but the trailer and bike aren't coming until we move everything else.

Glad to have another rider coming to support our track. I hope to pull a magic trick and actually make all the remaining 6 dates this year. High hopes but we have a good crowd and RFR is a fun track. You'll hear some complain about the pavement in areas but if you're from the east where frost heave happens you'll probably find it pretty good.

Your comment on the levels is correct in my opinion as there are way more fast guys out West. At an SSA day you'll probably be in a level similar to out east but if you do T-hill or Laguna it seems to be a step up because A group is almost all current or nearly current racers where out east it is a mix. RFR is a pretty big track too so it spreads us out making the gap between the really fast guys and low A/High B guys less problematic. Just start out where you feel comfortable and move up if you want more of a challenge.

Adiggity

Hey rabbit. Glad to have you aboard! It seems all of your questions were answered, I just wanted to welcome you. So, welcome!  :) And I'll also offer the suggestion A DRAGON did. If your stuff doesn't show up by our August trackday, you should come out anyway and check it out and meet some of us. It's good people and good times. Also, not sure if your a race fan, but another thing Jerome mentined is our Moto GP "pick your top 5" thread. If your a fan you should check it out. Here it is. http://www.sierrasportbike.com/smf/index.php?topic=2842.0 You just pick the top 5 riders on how you think they will finish. And Jerome put a twist on this one to include where you think the American riders will finish. Then also who will get the hole shot. Hole shot is the first rider to come out of turn two on the first lap. If you have any questions just holler.

Cheers.

Jp_Rio

Quote from: Team Gorgonzola on July 21, 2010, 10:30:55 AM
Rabbit, good to see you on the board, once you have RFRT figured out you'll have a blast, one of our instructors hold the lap record there and he is always available for one-on-one sessions at our track days.

What is that lap record, Alberto??
What?? Trackday?? I'm in!!!

A DRAGON

Yo Diggty I miss your posts.

Rabbit A Diggity is a pretty good guy to get to know. He's very knowledgeable.  You can always hang out in our tent. Plenty of room. Right Jlavallee?  Regina is going to be making fruit smoothies for the day to. I can't wait.
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

jlavallee

Quote from: A DRAGON on July 21, 2010, 10:55:21 PM
Yo Diggty I miss your posts.

Rabbit A Diggity is a pretty good guy to get to know. He's very knowledgeable.  You can always hang out in our tent. Plenty of room. Right Jlavallee?  Regina is going to be making fruit smoothies for the day to. I can't wait.

Yep, next time I figure I have to find a way to get Alberto to bring some of that turbo boost for me. Meatballs is it?