Main Menu

Annual Coastal ride to Hwy 1 Aug. 7th and 8th 7:00AM departure North ride

Started by A DRAGON, August 02, 2010, 10:14:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

It looks like Trinie's out, but she's made available her GoPro, so I might have two for the w/e.  My bike's ready.  7:00 sounds alright with me, unless either of you wants to start at 5:00 or 6:00.  It don't matter to me.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

GreenMachine

Holy crap.  I thought the lost coast hwy was a joke.  It's not.  Oh yeah.  I'm bringing the GPS with me tomorrow.  We'll be hitting that road and visiting the Avenue of the Giants too tomorrow!  Nighty.  Nighty, SSA campers.

Trinie, yes leave the turkey GoPro.  Bring your rear mount though if it's hooked up.  It did a good job last w/e.

zzzzzzzzzz  8)
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

sparkygixxer

Great Ride this weekend boyz  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
:-[  Snow7, missed you today!!!
Riding was awesome, food was awesome, people were awesome. Did I say awesome?!?  LOL  Yes I had a blast, thank you all who came on the ride and let me have "my own bed!"  ;) 
:P Now I can't wait to see the pics  :P

GreenMachine

Snow7,

Waking up on the coast with the cool breeze and fog rolling over the mountains was indescribable.  The air was so sweet, temps were ideal, and the scenery between the hikes and two days of riding...WOW!

I hope you made it back okay Saturday.  As far as I know, we all made it home without incident.   We had a beer to celebrate me using one of my Jerome free LEO passes, Saturday.   We behaved after that, but skipped Eureka on this trip.  We stayed the night south of Eureka, in Garberville, because all the places we called up there were booked by the time we made Fort Bragg.  We found a nice quite place to throw our gear for the night.  The local Italian was pretty good, but Jerome said the food tasted bland, then asked if the restaurant was under new ownership.  Can't please some people I guess.

This morning, we headed out to the Avenue of the Giants.  We toured the area and headed up the Lost Coast Highway, but we only got about 5 miles in and couldn't take the bumps anymore.  However, we did set out on a hike and found a 363 foot Sequoia and the grove it calls home.

All said and done, ~900 miles, some great Thai food, videos, pictures and memories.

I'm so keyed up from being on point all day, I'm not sure I'm ready to call it a day yet.

Snow7

Great riding with you guys on Saturday! The northern sections of Highway 1 were incredibly fun. Lane splitting on I-80 to get past that accident was quite interesting as well. It felt good to be cold while wearing a full suit. Seeing that HA with a full face helmet and his pink clad fellow rider was weird.

I made it back with no problems or incidents to report. However, just east of Yuba City at about 9:30 PM, I was passed by another HA patched rider flying a big American flag, ape hangers, and wearing white gym shoes!

CA 20 from Ft Bragg to Willits was really good with lots of turns, elevation changes, and very little traffic. It was at least 20 degrees warmer inland! I had to stop and take out my jacket liner until I got to Nevada City. Once it got dark, I changed shields and just cruised. Traffic was fairly light and riding around Clear Lake was certainly scenic. BTW CA 20 has been freshly repaved from Nevada City to I-80, however very little striping has been done yet, so that section of road under the tress was very black!

Got home at 12:15. During the trip I must have reset the trip odometer, but retracing the trip on Google Maps, shows 670 miles.

I vote for a 3-day trip next summer! I'm sure I missed some very good roads on Sunday.

A DRAGON

Here's the link to all the pics I took.

http://s278.photobucket.com/albums/kk117/jeromesegar/SSA%202010%20Coastal%20Ride/

What a wonderful time at the coast. Great riding and good friends. All were eager to please. I'm always slow about going. Once I do. I just can't get enough and I'm so glad I did.  ;D ;D
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

sparkygixxer

Ohhhhh I'm an idiot.  <No responses necessary on that comment.>
I just realized that GMs Indian stature picture was the link to more pictures. :-\
I've been waiting for them, hahaha, and they were right there in front of me.  Good times, good times. 
I'm in CA visiting family again from Tues to Sunday so I'll miss the coming up weekend ride  :-[ :-[    I know, don't miss me too much  ;)