Main Menu

Route to Irvine

Started by live2ride, June 04, 2009, 11:23:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

live2ride

Hey guys was wondering if you could help me plan a route from reno to Irvine.  Im headed there in a week or so and was wondering the best route to take.  I wanted to stop in bakersfield since I have a place to stay.  Any suggestions?
I live life like the captain of a sinking ship

trent

There are really only 3 ways to get there. I go down 395 to the 14 to 5 to 210 to get to pasadena area. You can go 395 to 15 to 91 into irvine or you can go 80 or 50 over to the 5 and south but that is the long boring way. at least on 395 you get some scenery, mammoth etc..

Hope this helps
There is absolutely no good excuse for what Im about to do !

A DRAGON

I'm with Trent. 395 is the only way to really go. The views of the Mammoth Mtns are so Grand.

Stop in Bishop across from the Yamaha dealer at the Mexican Restaurant. The food is pretty good. Then the Swiss bakery for desert is pretty tasty. I think their lunch sandwiches are to expensive though. Have a good trip.
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

Justin

Are you riding this trip, or driving? just curious.
I have done both 395 - 210 and 80 - 5 on a bike.
I took 395 but rode through the mojave desert from 12 till 1400.  I cooked my brain and haven't been the same since.  It took me about 9 hours with stops in mammoth and bishop, and cruising around tahoe.
Bakersfield is too close to Pasadena to 'need a place to stay' but 395 to the town of mojave will put you close enough. 
I think you'll lose your mind of you take 80-5 on a motorcycle, rather, I know you will.
Take photo's and post them here if your riding down 395.

n10sive

Quote from: A DRAGON on June 05, 2009, 06:35:36 AM
Stop in Bishop across from the Yamaha dealer at the Mexican Restaurant. The food is pretty good.

I believe this is the same family that owns El Charo Evita in Carson City. The Bishop store is operated by the mom and carson city is run by the kids. Same award winning food. They are considered one of Sunset Magazines top 10 Mexican restaurants in the US.
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

live2ride

Well I originally planned on riding it.  I have taken 80-5 quite a bit in my car and know how boring that will be on a bike.  395 looks like the way to go.  I might take 178 to Bakersfield and go past Lake Isabella if time.  Other than a place to stay my 95 year old grandma lives in Bakersfield so I thought id visit before I head to Irvine for my sisters graduation.  And ill be leaving early afternoon so id figured about 7-8 hours to get to Bakersfield I would get in just before dark, stay the night, and then head to Irvine in the morning. 

I used to go to Mammath once a year to fish the multitude of lakes with my father and always stopped on the way back at the mexican restuarant in Bishop but that was when I lived in CA.  That sounds really good.  I'll have to do that.   If I end up going on my bike I'll try to take pictures as many as I can.  Thanks for the help guys.  Much appreciated.

I live life like the captain of a sinking ship

MotoPutz