Main Menu

Another tire discussion

Started by Timex, June 03, 2009, 07:46:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timex

I hate to bring this up again, since there is no one answer.  But here it is.  I need to put new shoes on my 07 R1.  I ride 80% street and 20% track.  A friend who I trust says that the Battle Ax is the best rear he has ever had, although it sucks for the front.  So he recomends the Battle Ax for the rear and the Dunlop Sport Max soft compound for the front.  Any thoughts?

yzinger

wow. you knew what can of worms you were opening yet you STILL opened it!!! your one ballsey mo-fo! My 07 R1:
NO complaints with the dunlop qualifier soft thingy im running on the front now, but will be switching back to my michelin pp race when it is toast. not too happy with the diablo rosso so far, although it is still a great tire. would go back to the pp race on the rear if I could afford it

Timex

I know...I know...Let me appoligize in advance.  I curently have the diablos and didn't like them very much..very slippery.  I'm thinking of the PP because those tires seem to get the most positive comments.  Are the qualifiers a sticky tire?  What I want to do is work on getting the "wussy stripe" off my rear tire this summer at the track.  But what I've had so far, I don't trust.

trent

Here is my standard answer to this question.. If youre riding 80% street and 20% track you should definately check out the pilot power 2CT's they are great on the street and track. The dual compound gives you street miles in the center and a nice tacky side for track days and canyon carving. I love these tires and have riden on them on the street and track and I know they work. I had them on an 01 R1 and currently have them on a 06 1000rr. Hope this helps..
There is absolutely no good excuse for what Im about to do !

yzinger

go to the PP 2ct's then. I ran those on my R6 and nothing but good things to say. GL getting rid of the strips too...I was draggin some knee on wentworth last week and STILL have them. but looking at Justin's race bike...he has little baby ones too, so I guess liter bikes don't use the whole tire.

Timex

Thanks guys.  This is definately helping.  It looks like the 2ct's are the way to go.

live2ride

(Not to dissuade you).  I currently run the BT-016 (battlax tire) and had the BT-014 before.  The main difference I noticed was the center tread wear, the 16 lasting way longer before you saw the flat spot.  I rode thru mt rose and around lake tahoe last week and I noticed the 16 being a lot stickier on the side and performed very well for me even with it not being so hot and I definetly had some spots were I counted on the tire sticking.  I havent done a track day yet so  I cant tell you how well they perform in that aspect.  I have heard nothing but good things about the 2cts and they will pry be my next set.  I dont think you can go wrong with either the 2ct or battlax for 80/20 riding.  The only thing for me was the price difference me being a poor college student the battlax was way cheaper than the 2ct but I will soon see the difference in performance once I try the 2cts, if any.  Just thought i'd give you my 2 cents on the battlax tire.

Heres a comparison from sportrider testing street/track use tires to help you.  http://www.sportrider.com/gear/146_0904_street_track_tire_comparison_test/index.html
I live life like the captain of a sinking ship

Justin

I do whatever SPL tells me to do. You know I ride a 600. When I was observed by Joe (4theriders) sliding both tires in the same corner over a few laps, I dropped the stock Q's and went with Power Race.  Russ (now in texas) rode the same speed (low2:50's) with 2ct's on his liter bikes and I believe he he happy.
Well . . . He looked happy at least:)

cburow

I dont trust anything but a good race DOT anymore because it is the only tire I KNOW will hook up. You can get a good pair of take offs so much cheaper than a set of new street tires so who cares if they dont last as long. Its all I have used on my street bike for years and I've found that even worn out bald race DOTS hook up better than the best new street tires. Just my $0.02

SPL

Quote from: Justino on June 05, 2009, 07:40:36 AM
I do whatever SPL tells me to do. You know I ride a 600. When I was observed by Joe (4theriders) sliding both tires in the same corner over a few laps, I dropped the stock Q's and went with Power Race.  Russ (now in texas) rode the same speed (low2:50's) with 2ct's on his liter bikes and I believe he he happy.
Well . . . He looked happy at least:)

I found this amusing...  :)     Guys we have plenty of take offs to if your looking for a cheap route. Just call the shop and ask.  I know we have a few lying around.
Building Dreams One Bike At A Time!  775-825-4457

Timex

OK. Whats a "take off" I've never heard this before.

yzinger

A "take off" is exactly as it sounds. It is a used tire that was taken off of a rim before it was completly used. Take offs can vary considerably in quality, from barely used to completly toast. Like buying used tires for your car.

Timex

ChrisM

i'm loving the bt016s. i've been through 5 sets of qualifiers on my old 636 and loved them as well.

MotoPutz

I'll probably try 2ct's on my next go around, haven't heard a single bad thing about them...