Main Menu

2 cruiser fatalities this weekend

Started by Tahoebrian5, September 04, 2012, 11:18:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tahoebrian5

I have a hard time feeling bad for people that choose to ride bikes that don't turn well over mountain rodes with inadequate gear... but somehown I still do. I rode by the mt. rose one.. it was the first hairpin if traveling towards reno just past sky tavern. the rider obviously came into the turn 2 hot and blew the double yellow.. head on'd into a burning man RV. I pasted the article below

Nevada Highway Patrol troopers are still investigating two fatal crashes on Northern Nevada roadways over the Labor Day weekend.

On Sunday at around 3:13 p.m., troopers responded to U.S. 50 and Logan Creek Drive near Glenbrook for a motorcycle accident. During a preliminary investigation, troopers determined that a 2004 red Harley Davidson with a driver and a passenger had been traveling eastbound on US 50 when it missed a turn in the road and drove onto a dirt shoulder, hit a sign and came to rest on it's side, NHP spokesperson Barb Stapleton said.

The passenger, Jennifer Lyrea Leonard, 50, of South Lake Tahoe, was ejected from the motorcycle and later died from her injuries. The driver, Charles Gilbert Leonard, 53, also of South Lake Tahoe, was air transported to Renown Regional Medical Center with unknown injuries.

Witnesses or anyone with additional information should contact Trooper Hildebrand at (775) 721-9034 regarding case number 120903281.

A second fatal crash occurred on Monday at around 3:25 p.m. on the Mount Rose Highway west of Sky Tavern when a motorcycle and a motor home were involved in a collision, Stapleton said.

A 2006 Yamaha motorcycle driven by Patrick Zielke, 66, of Fallon was traveling east on the highway and a 1985 Ford motorhome driven by Michael Lee of Anchorage, Alaska, was traveling west. For an unknown reason, the motorcycle crossed the double yellow centerline and struck the motorhome head-on, killing Zielke, Stapleton said.

The Major Accident Investigation Team (M.A.I.T.) is investigating the crash. Witnesses or anyone with additional information are encouraged to contact Sergeant Farmer at (775) 315-1561 regarding case number 120903297.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

n10sive

I was friends with Chuck and Jen. I worked with Chuck for a couple of years. They have a young boy.

I am speculating that there might be a medical condition involved in his crash as he had a heart condition, and has been riding those roads for years. The corner he died in is nothing. There was no reason to straight line it if you are conscious.
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

Bigcat

Very sorry to hear this. Our best to the families.

GreenMachine

As much as HD riders don't acknowledge non-HDs, I've always been unrestricted to open conversations with their riders.  Riders are riders and we all share the same risks.

Very sad to here about all the accidents this weekend, all in one day.  I know of one more that day that I cannot find any information on.  It was another HD v. car accident on hwy 40/Donner Pass road, in Kingvale.  There was the appearance that Burner traffic had turned I-80 into a parking lot and hwy 40 was the route for those clever enough to know about it.  I know there were CHP and ambulances.  Just don't know the outcome.  Hopefully good.

On a side-note, I was driving to a client for work and stopped last Wednesday here in Reno where an HD rider was pushing his bike down the street.  Obviously something wrong with his bike, so I offered assistance, which was appreciated but graciously declined.  His house was just down the street.   It made me feel good to offer help that would most certainly complicate my day, to help out a fellow rider.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.