Main Menu

2012 group ride desitnations and distances. What would you like sheduled?

Started by GreenMachine, January 31, 2012, 09:54:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

Taking ideas on what to schedule for the 2012 group ride season and I'd like your input.  This is your chance to shape the rides we schedule for 2012.  If you don't see what you're looking for or have thought of other destinations you would like to perhaps lead a group on, post up.

One of my goals before the season starts is to buy a trailer for doing mid-summer overnight rides out of state.  Personally, I'd like to venture off to far off destinations, slow the pace a bit and take as much in as possible.  Less slab and more quality curves.

:thumbup
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

KKM

For me it seems like most of the time the rides of 250-350 miles is the norm. If you have the whole day it seems a waste to get all dressed up and only go 150 miles. You dont want to burn out on the nice local roads either. The foothills on the Calif side have nice riding. The coast range is good also. I am also looking at putting the bike in the toy hauler and heading to some place like Redding or what ever and doing day trips from there. I can load three bikes easy in it so thats a thought. I was down at T-Hill last friday getting measured for a two piece suit and I asked them about the local riding , it seems they spend there time in the coast range. Hwy 36 ect. We have to ride 36 this summer as it has been seven years since I have been there.
Kevin
2009 Aprilia RSV1000R
2012 KTM990R ADV
2013 KTM 500XCW

dub

I really enjoy the rides up in the hills to the NW.  D-ville, Gold Lake, Quincy, Oroville, La Porte etc.  You know, those parts.  250-350 mi seems like the sweet spot for a nice, long all day Sunday ride, IMO.  I'm still new enough that I'm not burnt out on any of that stuff yet.  There are some routes I've done infrequently enough that I probably couldn't lead myself.  Like Bucks Lake, didn't even get to ride it last summer.  I also rode the out Ebbets, back Sonora route at the end of last season and definitely want to ride that again this season.

I would love to get out and ride some of the stuff between the valley and the coast; 36, 299, 162 for instance.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

oldBolt

Would the Markleeville ride include the VC/truck route?  Maybe I just don't remember where Markleeville is.

That's the one with waitress?

F@#!  I am getting more senile every year
"I have inhaled, exhaled everything." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

GreenMachine

Quote from: KKM on February 01, 2012, 06:20:19 AM
For me it seems like most of the time the rides of 250-350 miles is the norm. If you have the whole day it seems a waste to get all dressed up and only go 150 miles. You dont want to burn out on the nice local roads either. The foothills on the Calif side have nice riding. The coast range is good also. I am also looking at putting the bike in the toy hauler and heading to some place like Redding or what ever and doing day trips from there. I can load three bikes easy in it so thats a thought. I was down at T-Hill last friday getting measured for a two piece suit and I asked them about the local riding , it seems they spend there time in the coast range. Hwy 36 ect. We have to ride 36 this summer as it has been seven years since I have been there.
Kevin
:thumbup  With a GoPro and plenty of stops for pics.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

GreenMachine

Quote from: dub on February 01, 2012, 09:14:36 PM
I really enjoy the rides up in the hills to the NW.  D-ville, Gold Lake, Quincy, Oroville, La Porte etc.  You know, those parts.  250-350 mi seems like the sweet spot for a nice, long all day Sunday ride, IMO.  I'm still new enough that I'm not burnt out on any of that stuff yet.  There are some routes I've done infrequently enough that I probably couldn't lead myself.  Like Bucks Lake, didn't even get to ride it last summer.  I also rode the out Ebbets, back Sonora route at the end of last season and definitely want to ride that again this season.

I would love to get out and ride some of the stuff between the valley and the coast; 36, 299, 162 for instance.
Last season, Bucks Lake had road construction near the lake for quite some time and a portion of lower 162 washed out.  I still don't think that's been repaired.  So what you thought you were missing wasn't really that great.  You know.  Which is why I love Wentworth Springs Rd so much.  If the LEO presence wasn't so heavy, it would be much better too.

36, 299, & the coast.  Plan it and let's make it happen!  I can't imagine me not going at least twice this year again.  I know I did it at least twice last year, plus we road over and back to Moto GP, including going a good ways past Big Sur.  That was some amazing road too! You'd love it. If I could overnight it, I'd probably come home with a couple citations and feel like it was totally worth it.   :D

GreenMachine

Quote from: oldBolt on February 02, 2012, 06:43:26 PM
Would the Markleeville ride include the VC/truck route?  Maybe I just don't remember where Markleeville is.

That's the one with waitress?

F@#!  I am getting more senile every year
We did about half and half last year, adding VC to the south route rides.  I think it mostly depended on whether A Dragon or TahoeBrian came along. 

And let me refresh your memory.

Ms. Jolie

Tahoebrian5

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

cobra23

I have not ridden a single SSA ride to date. I never seem to get the time, this year I hope to make a couple. I have done the SSA track days.

Sunday is the better day, but my vote should be taken with a grain of salt due to the lack of attendance.

A weekend ride (2days) is not out of the question.

I have a track bike this year,is there anything (thunderhill) scheduled for that?

Ted

gen2rt

How about an overnight trip to the Quail Motorcycle gathering on May 4-5.

GreenMachine

dub

"The Quail" is a prominent historical car show; just like the Concours d'Elegance in Pebble Beach.  The only reason I know that is from watching 'Chasing Classic Cars' on the the HD Theatre channel.

This is, apparently, a motorcycle version of "The Quail".  http://www.quaillodgeevents.com/pages/home.cgi?srvid=15

Quote from: gen2rt on February 26, 2012, 05:00:47 PM
How about an overnight trip to the Quail Motorcycle gathering on May 4-5.

Nice first post.  Are you a spam bot that crawls discussion forums looking for group ride threads to advertise on?
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

KKM

I dont know about everyone else but I am looking to start the riding season ASAP. There should be some nice days over in the foothills very soon. Thinking of hauling the toy hauler over the hill and start from there. I see no reason to ride in the sand for half a day just to get there. Come time I will post here if any body wants to come. I can haul three bikes safely.
Kevin
2009 Aprilia RSV1000R
2012 KTM990R ADV
2013 KTM 500XCW

gen2rt

No, not spamming or anything.  I moved to Reno last April but spend alot of time in Sac, so only got one group ride in at the end of the season.  Don't remember if it was this or the other Reno sportbike group.  I ride a BMW R1100S, Ducati Monster S4RS, MV Agusta.  The bikes are faster than I am.....

GreenMachine

Quote from: KKM on February 27, 2012, 06:53:27 AM

I dont know about everyone else but I am looking to start the riding season ASAP. There should be some nice days over in the foothills very soon. Thinking of hauling the toy hauler over the hill and start from there. I see no reason to ride in the sand for half a day just to get there. Come time I will post here if any body wants to come. I can haul three bikes safely.
Kevin
:rainday  In case you missed it somehow, Winter has arrived.  Like your enthusiasm though and may go riding with you when it does get nice out soon.