Main Menu

Email Notifications

Started by slmoto, October 17, 2014, 09:30:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slmoto

Does anyone use the "notify me of replies" setting? I was using it but it seems since the last update it has not been working, anyone else experiencing this or have a solution.

288RR

I use it.  I have also noticed that I no longer get the notices.  Maybe we have to hit the notify button again

GreenMachine

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

GreenMachine

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

GreenMachine

:dunno 

Personally, I'm happy it stopped sending me E-mail notifications.  You should see how many I was getting!  :-\  And I've never really relied on it anyway.  It was more of an annoyance to me. 

Dub's suggestion of using the 'Show unread posts since last visit' works perfectly for my needs.  Between that link at the top and the 'View the most recent posts on the forum' link at the bottom of the main page, it covers 100% of anything new.

Browser bookmarks do everything else.

Can you tell I'm not a mobile app user?

GreenMachine

I want to be sensitive about this though.  If you guys rely on notifications to keep in touch with the SSA forum, I'll spend the time to look into the matter.

slmoto

Quote from: GreenMachine on October 17, 2014, 11:04:05 AM
Testing.  Testing.

Still nothing. I use the other methods as well but then I find myself checking back more frequently than necessary, this is a bad habit of mine which happens with my email as well. I can see how you'd (GM) receive a ridiculous amount of notifications since you are one of the most active users.

If others find it useful go ahead and look into it but don't look into it just for me. Just thought I'd see if it was a quick and easy solution I wasn't seeing, I'll get by just fine.

dub

I use the email notifications only for ride planning threads so I make sure and see if there is a change in the plan.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

GreenMachine

As a Super Moderator I get notifications for every single post no matter which thread it's in.  Or used to anyway.  I enabled it for myself for the General Discussion area, when I posted those two tests, but I didn't receive the notifications.  So now I'm trying it just for the thread, which would be a PITA for marking every single specific thread I wanted to be notified about.  I'll see if that at least works.

GreenMachine

So far nothing.  Let me check another area.  I may have to see if there's a master account that controls the SMTP configuration, which is not something I can see by default.  I'll keep digging.

Maybe in my travels I'll run across the TAPAtalk fix too!  That would be good to get working.

slmoto

I just got a notification for this thread.

dub

Quote from: GreenMachine on October 17, 2014, 01:27:25 PMMaybe in my travels I'll run across the TAPAtalk fix too!  That would be good to get working.

I used to bug you about that one all the time. They turned that app into complete garbage by "updating" it and now I don't even use it anymore.

Also, I turned on notifications for this thread and they aren't working for me.

GreenMachine

Quote from: slmoto on October 17, 2014, 02:07:17 PM
I just got a notification for this thread.
Me too for your post.  Not for PMs though.  I don't think that's ever been the case, looking back through my notification E-mail.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention.  You get a gold star for the day.

GreenMachine

dub

OK, got notifications for those two posts literally right after posting that I wast'n getting them.

Aaaand time to turn it back off again.