Main Menu

Group Ride Speeds?

Started by Dandelion, October 13, 2008, 05:06:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandelion

When you go on a group ride what speeds do you expect to travel at?

repsol71

I think it really depends on where you go, take the truck route for instance 70mph up to 135 on the straight if you are felling froggy, but then again if you are on Mt Rose maybe just 10 to 20 over. Now over on Wentworth Springs road thats a place that you can bring it on, it has it all, triple digits down to 35, thats just what I am thinking
I am always ready to rip!!!

repsol71

Now mind you that  I am not one to speed in town or to the destination, there is always a time and a place for speed, in town is not it, I can say thay I have been ticket free for over 15 years, knock on wood. :P
I am always ready to rip!!!

Adiggity

Quote from: repsol71 on October 14, 2008, 01:53:13 PM
I think it really depends on where you go, take the truck route for instance 70mph up to 135 on the straight if you are felling froggy, but then again if you are on Mt Rose maybe just 10 to 20 over. Now over on Wentworth Springs road thats a place that you can bring it on, it has it all, triple digits down to 35, thats just what I am thinking
Quote from: repsol71 on October 14, 2008, 01:54:44 PM
Now mind you that  I am not one to speed in town or to the destination, there is always a time and a place for speed, in town is not it, I can say thay I have been ticket free for over 15 years, knock on wood. :P
Completely agree. And that goes for any town. Not just Reno and Carson.

Justin

I ride my own ride, and travel at the velocity i feel up to.  Group rides I've been on are NEVER triple digit EVER.
I ride quicker when alone, because I feel the responsibility to lead by example.

MotoPutz

Quote from: Justino on October 14, 2008, 08:01:55 PM
I ride my own ride, and travel at the velocity i feel up to.  Group rides I've been on are NEVER triple digit EVER.
I ride quicker when alone, because I feel the responsibility to lead by example.

I do believe I recall you blowing past me in triple digits once... 
(don't play holier then thou with me ;))

Resistor

I voted for the second option.

Over the last 5 years, 40K+ miles, I've never received a speeding ticket nor have I ever been pulled over for speeding (knock on wood).  Why is this so?  I think it's from my riding style.  I tend to go slow in the straights (where cops lurke) and pick up the pace through the turns.

As for the group rides, like Justin said, just ride your own pace.  This last season I've lead and swept a couple of rides.  No one was EVER left behind, we always regroup and recount the bikes.
2005 GSXR-600

Justin

Quote from: Putz on October 15, 2008, 08:56:30 AM
I do believe I recall you blowing past me in triple digits once... 
(don't play holier then thou with me ;)

Ahh yes.  You are correct!  I know where you are talking about.  Each time (3 times) I am on that road (past the farm south of carson) I have done WELL over triple digits, for 1/2 mile. . .  Four digits I think. . . . let me go check my computer.

YUP !! Mach 1.75 as indicated on the speedo ( I don't have a speedo healer and it's NOT GPS verified)
Sorry about the sonic boom, even though you looked like you handled it well.

Mike Cullen

I think now that more and more SSA members are taking it to the track the group ride speeds are down from where they were a few years ago. There were too many times in the past that we were picking people up from the road or pulling them out of trees due to peer pressure to ride over their heads or the fact they just didn't know what their skill level was until they pushed it past it's limit. I ride at speeds that are comfortable for me,  "the pace" that I set is usually in the double digits but  holding that pace thru the twisties is where it gets fun. Sonora Pass, Monitor, Hwy 4, etc.... these are my own little Isle of Mann and Sachsenring Circuits, and I really enjoy them at a comfortable pace for me. The idea here is to have fun, enjoy the ride and I always remind those riding with me that they must ride THEIR pace not mine, have fun enjoy the day, whether their pace is faster or slower than mine. If they want to see how fast they are, lets go to the track, but on the road there are way too many other factors out there that will put the best riders in the bushes. Stay in your own lane, late apex, look way thru the turns and ride at your skill level....stay alive.

A DRAGON

Ditto Mike. That's what I think. We can take it to the track now. It's much better than before. And alot safer. 
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

z1rider

Sunday ride = Fun ride
Trackday = Balls to the wall

Johnny

Quote from: z1rider on October 16, 2008, 12:06:21 PM
Sunday ride = Fun ride
Trackday = Balls to the wall