Main Menu

Ride to Berlin 03/26/16

Started by GreenMachine, March 23, 2016, 01:17:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

Thinking the weather should be favorable for such a ride.  I've been wanting to see the ichthyosaurus for several years, but didn't plan it out right.  Berlin is the ghost town and state park, just east of Gabbs, NV.  There are tours for both the big dolphin and the mines, but only at certain times.  I'll have to check on those.

There's really not much to see and it's a long ride.  The last mile into the park is gravel/dirt.  I just want to do it while the weather is still nice. Oh, and they don't have water there, so packing water would be a good idea.

I'll post more details later, probably schedule the ride to correspond to the tour times.  Just opening it up to people who might want to ride 6 hours on the highway.  I know, when you put it in those terms, it doesn't sound appealing.

If you're interested post up.  Pace will be freeway C level speeds. 
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

nvgixxer

That last mile into the park would kill it for me. Oh my, the dust and flying rocks..........what a nightmare!  ;D
2015 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2012 Kawasaki ZX14R (sold)
2009 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2007 Suzuki GSXR1000 (totaled)
2005 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2003 Suzuki GSXR1000 (sold)

GreenMachine

Have you been out there?  I have no idea what I'm in for.  How bad can it be, right?

I can handle a little dust.  Just no sharp rocks to cut my tires up.  That would suck.

Here's a slideshow of the Diana Mine.

State park amenities and rules.*
QuoteVisitors are responsible for knowing all park rules and regulations in effect. Detailed rules and regulations are posted at the park.
Picnicking: A day-use picnic area with tables, grills, drinking water and restrooms is near the Fossil Shelter.
Group Use: No formal group use area is available. Groups may use the picnic area for day or overnight use with advanced reservations. Please contact the park to schedule group tours.

User Fees: An entry fee is charged. The park accepts cash and checks only. Fees are also charged for camping, tours, group reservations and commercial photography.

Services: Local service information is posted in the park for gas, food and phone service. Services are available in Gabbs. No services are available at Ione.

Berlin Town-site Tour: This is a self-guided tour.

Fossil Shelter Tour: The Fossil Shelter tour is 40 minutes and is available Memorial Day through Labor Day daily at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m., with a noon tour added on Saturday and Sunday. From the third Saturday in March to Memorial Day, and from Labor Day to Sunday October 26, Saturday and Sunday times are at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.

Diana Mine Tour: The mine tours are available May 1 through September 30 on Friday, Saturday and Sunday at 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. Reservations are required.

REMINDERS

Please observe a few simple rules to make everyone's visit, today and in the future, more rewarding and enjoyable:
    Removing, disturbing or damaging any historic structure, artifact, rock, plant life, fossil or other features is prohibited. State and federal laws protect this area and its artifacts.
    All pets must be kept on a leash.
    Drive on established roads with licensed vehicles only.

Fires are permitted only in designated areas or in commercial stoves and fireplaces.
    Please dispose of garbage in the trash cans provided throughout the park for your convenience.

* Park is subject to unannounced seizure by armed militiamen, so this trip may be canceled without notice.  :P
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

Mel

Wow GM, you must have come out of your shell for wanting to do dirt roads :)!! I remember you coming to a crawl on a goat road with just a little dust on it hahaha!

GreenMachine

Not really.  This one has a few less potholes than the one we were on in Amador county.  It could have been my imagination, but some of them it seemed were big enough to swallow the bike whole.

RichVee4

Its been years since we went and explored that area, its a ways out there.  Took my daughter when she had her permit and needed some driving hrs.   I remember there was a dirt road getting into the park but dont remember it being overly difficult.   Cool bit of NV history.   

Best pic I had showing the dirt road.

Were out of town this weekend.
Live long and prosper \V/

GreenMachine

Oh, there's no way I'd make it on that road! :o

j/k

Have a great time over on your trip this w/e. 

slmoto

I just got back yesterday from 1300 miles of highway riding so another 6 hours on the highway does not sound too appealing to me at the moment.

Good luck if you do end up going.  :D

GreenMachine

Would love to hear all about it.  Perhaps over beer Saturday evening?

slmoto

Perhaps, I don't think I have much going on other than catching up on work since I got stuck on the other side of the pass an extra day due to weather.

I'll shoot you a message so as not to get your Berlin ride off topic.

GreenMachine

Quote from: RichVee4 on March 24, 2016, 07:20:25 AM

I think I'm going to get a selfie of me in that old truck that's on the right.   :D

GreenMachine

GreenMachine

Warning to anyone heading a long ways east of Fallon, like today's ride.  Gas up there and plan where you know there will be another fuel stop.  Gabbs has one station, but it's the old self-serve style w/o credit card access and it's only open M-F.  On a Saturday, the nearest one to Berlin is > 70 miles.

Vegasrider

All this time, I thought you were talking about Berlin Germany.