Main Menu

Pirelli Tire Sale

Started by slmoto, March 03, 2016, 10:45:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slmoto

I was just purchasing some new tires and thought this was a pretty good deal so figured I'd share the info for anyone else needing tires.

Perelli is running a mail in rebate for $40 if you purchase a set of street tires or $20 if you purchase a set of dirt tires.

On top of this Revzilla and Rocky Mountain ATV/MC already have Perelli tires on sale at about 30-40% off.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/l/2016-March-Pirelli-Rebate-Info?il_medium=Main-PirelliRebate&il_source=Home

http://www.revzilla.com/pirelli-motorcycle-tires

I'm sure there are other qualified dealers too, those are just the two I tend to purchase from when I'm not buying locally.

RichVee4

Oh great, GM can order some new dirt tires now.   
Live long and prosper \V/

slmoto

Quote from: RichVee4 on March 03, 2016, 05:01:24 PM
Oh great, GM can order some new dirt tires now.

Haha, yeah for sure. GM if you're reading this, do yourself a favor before you get back on your dirt bike and get a new rear tire before you re-injure yourself!!!! ;D

That's what I was ordering, dirt tires, going to try a trials rear tire. I should give my old tire to GM, it's worn by most standards but to him will look like it has 90% tread life left.

GreenMachine

I looked at your link.  There are pictures of the brand new tires.  They look like they have less tread than the ones I have on now.

You kids!
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

slmoto

Quote from: GreenMachine on March 04, 2016, 07:20:56 AM
I looked at your link.  There are pictures of the brand new tires.  They look like they have less tread than the ones I have on now.

You kids!

Shit, I have used street tires with more tread than your dirt tires!

dub

Trials tires are overrated for trail riding, IMO. There is like 10% of conditions where they are outstanding and can't be beat, but for the other 90% a knobby is better.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

slmoto

Quote from: dub on March 04, 2016, 09:12:40 AM
Trials tires are overrated for trail riding, IMO. There is like 10% of conditions where they are outstanding and can't be beat, but for the other 90% a knobby is better.

I'm skeptical but I've mostly heard good things, except for mud but good luck finding mud out here for the most part anyway. They were cheap enough so I figured I'd give it a try.

What tires do you like on your 300?

I have a Dunlop AT81 on there now. I don't dislike it but I'm no overly impressed. I felt like I had better grip with the Maxxis desert tires I used in the past. Although it may be hard to compare since this bike and my old one are so different. Even though the Dunlop feels like it breaks free easier I still have no trouble climbing now compared to my old bike. The KTM almost feels like cheating after coming off the YZ426.

dub

Go down to Sierra BMW and pick up a Sedona MX907HP. They are only like $65 and they are amazing in all conditions, not just the right ones. Tell Tom at the parts desk I sent you to drink the 907 Kool-aid.

I've heard good things about the AT81 RC, which is the desert version. I'd be willing to try it, but I just can't tear myself away from that Sedona 907.

dub

Here are some other thoughts:

This is a ride we did out at moonrocks last month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nL_7bupjdM

Everyone but the camera rider was on a knobby. He was on a trials tire and was really struggling. There was still some snow left and we had several real sketchy sections with snow and mud. The trials tire just gets packed and spins.

Think about what trials tires are made for: extremely slow technical riding, on rock/hard pack. That's why people like them, because when they encounter a difficult technical rocky section it gives them great grip. But they aren't made for drive off a corner, fast cornering, or hard braking. Need to crawl down a really steep loose hill? Good luck on a trials tire.
True, there isn't much mud out in the desert in the summer months. However between November and May I pretty much never do a ride without having to clean the mud off the bike afterwards.

Edit: On the plus side they last forever.

GreenMachine

I recognize that trail.  That a**hole TB5 took me on that right after I got his bike.  He thought it was funny.  What a workout!  On another ride, we came down that first hill climb.  It was all heavy sand, with almost no rear grip.  Going down was best accomplished as a controlled semi-slide, where you hoped the front wouldn't dump on you and you didn't have that little touch too much on the rear to send it around.

On another one of TB5's rides, he took me on the back side of that mountain, like the east route. It rejoined with one of the single tracks on the west side, which was more my speed.  Thank goodness I didn't tumble off the side or off trail on that one.  There really was no way up for the bike once you got off.  He always waited up ahead with his helmet off and smiling, while I struggled.  He said it made me a better rider.  Maybe, but whatever happened to just progressing at one's own pace?  :rant

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

slmoto

Thanks for the info on the 907. I'll give it a try if I'm not into the trials tire, the trials tire is already on the way so might as well see how I like it. I may just end up swapping tires based on conditions. I had to swap tires recently as I borrowed some DOT's to get my bike plated, it wasn't the most enjoyable job to do at home but the second time went much quicker and a little less painful so I'm sure I can get better at it. I surely don't want to give up riding in the mud, I really enjoy riding in muddy conditions but it does dry up really quickly out here. I was just out riding yesterday and the conditions are already getting dusty.

I have heard the trials are terrible on a loose decent and I have heard as you edited that they last forever but with the 907's being only $65 I could easily live with having to get new tires more often.

Nice video, looks like a fun trail, some of it definitely looks familiar. That's funny, we were out riding that same day and even touched upon the south end of Moon Rocks at some point. One of the guys was having a tough time on some relatively easy stuff so unfortunately we decided not to get into the Dogskin's area.

RichVee4

I've been looking at different tires to replace my dunlop MX71, hard terrain tire, that I'm currently using.  They are a vast improvement over the previous but willing to try something different.  The Sedona 907 sound like a good candidate and is less expensive so I'm sold.

Never been to that area of moonrocks but looks more fun than the heavily traveled areas.

slmoto

TRIALS TIRE FOR SALE!

j/k.

Seriously though, I went for a ride today with the trials tire and it pretty much performed exactly how Dub described. It was incredible for climbs in hard pack and over rocks, it was shit in sandy sections and spun like crazy in just a little bit of uphill mud. I also just didn't like the way it felt even in the flats, it felt like it was pushing my front tire around and my front tire is new as well so I shouldn't be having traction issues. I was starting to get used to it later in the ride and was liking it a lot in the sections where it really hooked up. I'm going to keep it and use it on dry days in areas like Peavine or Hunter Lake, that I know I'll encounter a lot of rocks.

I picked up a 907 on the way home and just finished installing it, going to give it a go this weekend. I'm hoping I'll like it because I sure do like the price, $68 out the door!

RichVee4

Now your one step closer to having a trials bike  :)   Really curious to hear how you like the 907.

dub

I know riders who keep a trials tire on  a second wheel to swap on when conditions are right for it.