Main Menu

VR's adventure taking delivery of new MTS

Started by Vegasrider, November 14, 2015, 09:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vegasrider

Left Thursday Morning out of Reno-Lake Tahoe Int'l Airport for:

Here's my ride once I arrived curbside at Sea-Tac, along with a hot latte for me in the van. 

Inside the showroom floor.  My new 2014 MTS ST with 4 miles on the clock.

You damn right it's sold.

Purchased the bike over the phone and via email.  I got a great deal on a left over 14 which retailed for $19,995 back in 14.  I essentially got it for $16k, financed the bike through them with zero down.  I ended putting on some extra accessories which ran it up another 1k.  Bad news, I have to go to the DMV and pay the sales tax and register the bike. 

After a quick tutorial on how to operate the bike, I was on my way back to Reno that afternoon.  Just my look, the largest and strongest Pacific Storm for the NW was just arriving once I hit the freeway.  For the next 225 mile ride down to Salem Oregon where I planned to spend the night, it was a torrential downpour with horrific winds.  Here's how hard it was raining, my Frogg Toggs failed, my Daytona Roadstar Gortex boots did not stay dry, nor my gortex gloves.  Some of my hair got wet inside my helmet, must have been from the ventilation.  However, the bike handled great in the very wet conditions. 

My parking spot at the hotel. 

I left Salem at 0730, and arrived in Reno 10 hours later.  Logged 525 miles the 2nd day.  It was relatively dry, but just damn cold.  Experienced some nasty cinder that they used to sand the highways down around the passes.  And ran into freezing fog around Klamath Falls which was the worst because my shield got all frozen up.  I just stopped for fuel and had nothing to eat or drink along the way.  Not a single sip of water which I found amazing. 

It's overdue for it's first service and it really needs a wash! It's a tall bike, I find myself towering over traffic with that bike, so I have great visibility.  I rode the FZ this morning, and it felt like it was a mini-bike, it was so small! But I'm still keeping it, it's still my primary bike.

slmoto

Congrats on the new bike. Sounds like a hell of a first ride, you should have borrowed that Ducati Seattle van for the ride back.

GreenMachine

Going full on Mel's garage!  Glad we won't need to worry about you riding in icy/snowy conditions anymore, now that you finally have four wheels.

Plan on doing more adventure touring?
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

RichVee4

Very nice bike.  Good choice for a sport tourer.   Sounds like you already had your first adventure on it also.   Does it at least have heated grips?
Live long and prosper \V/

Vegasrider

Thanks everyone, 

Yes, it comes with heated grips.  Where I don't fly, I ride so this bike will get me from point A to B. Only complaint I have is that it has a short fuel range, under 200 miles.  And it's a very heavy, and tall bike, it will take some adjusting for my small ass 5-8 frame.  It's currently set up at the default suspension, which is usually for a rider around 190lbs, so I will try to figure out reducing the suspension/sag for my weight.  It's so computerized it's scary. 

GreenMachine

If you wanted all that, you should have just got a VFR, NC700X, or F800ST.

Light weight.  Check.
Good range.  Check.
Lower ride height.  Check.

Any of those would have been a better sport-touring/adventure replacement for the FZ, but I don't get the impression that was your goal.

The Multistrada S Touring at 1200cc has to be somewhat beefy to support what it's carrying, which should be at least one rider and their gear stored in the saddlebags.  It has to have the power to lug all that stuff around too.  Give it some time.  I'm sure she'll grown on you.

As for a similar bike to replace the FZ, the NC700X is the current undisputed efficient-bike champion of that category.  It gets over 70 MPG and was designed by Honda to be that way.  The BMW F800 series bikes also boast superior MPG numbers, but I'm not sure of each bike's range.

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

Vegasrider

Agreed to everything you mentioned, but the MTS has been my dream bike for the past five years, the only bike that became close to consideration was the new BMW 1200RS, but it's a new production and not discounted at all.  The only regret that I had was that I should have waited another year for the 15's to get discounted. But who know's if Ducati would have offered the same promotion, even though I have seen it for the past few years.   It actually has a lower seat height, with better fuel efficiency to extend the range, despite having the same tank size.  But I believe I got the best price which was too good to pass up, even if I had to go to Seattle to pick it up.  In my opinion, bikes are meant to be ridden, not shipped, trailered or hauled.  You will never see me trailer a operational bike unless I'm moving or not capable of riding.

I'm itching to ride it again, but I need to go get it registered and get the 1st service out of the way.  And it's dirty!

dub

Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019