Main Menu

Motorcycle Industry Article

Started by RichVee4, October 07, 2014, 08:15:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichVee4

Live long and prosper \V/

RichVee4

Thinking about this article reminded me of 4 sport bikes I saw in the last couple weeks around town doing wheelies.   

In one instance I was driving 395 N thru S Meadows area and had two bikes coming up fast in my rear mirror.  Once they caught up to me traffic got more congested so they slowed to normal speed, but one rider got board and decided to do a wheelie at 75mph and accelerate from their, tee shirt flapping in the wind all.   He dropped the front hard when almost hitting the back of a minivan he was following. Luckily he didn't crash but I was tell myself I didn't want to see this guy go down in front of me at that speed with no gear.    He looked back at his buddy following like aren't I cool brah.  His buddy was more sensible and shock his head like your an idiot.

Unfortunately, riders like that reinforce the negative motorcyclist stereotype.   

GreenMachine

Were you riding at the time and thus, that's another potential reason for the wheelie silliness? ...to impress you.

There's a guy or two riding on Longley, out by Double R Blvd that do wheelies and top speed runs between the lights during the work week.  I hate it, but you have to know that based on what the article said, this is the right bike for this individual or individuals.  It's what they want, it meets their needs and I'm sure they're quite proud of all the looks they get while getting from point A to point B at some ridiculous speed.

Getting back to the article though, I agree with about half of what he mentioned and found humor in much of the blatant honesty.  I was conjuring up our rides and thinking about many of you on the bike that you love.  If you're faking it, you have me fooled. 

I know from my perspective, I'm quite happy with the bikes I have, both discontinued models.  Which plays right into the 'buying the bike that you want' article title.  Once I found the bike I wanted and seeing what compared to it for the required capabilities on my list, I had to have a second as a backup.  Price wasn't a big consideration, but it turned out to be another positive.  8) 

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

Mel

Yeah, I know what you guys mean. I just hate it when I see guys on their sportbikes dragging knee up on the mountain roads making us all look bad in front of the pour tourists on the road that are just out to enjoy the scenery, go camping, and boating :)!

Mel

GreenMachine

Is that what those obstacles on the road were?   :rotflmao  I always wondered.  Glad Mel was at the back of the pack riding behind them responsibly.  ;)
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

Tahoebrian5

Highly opinionated article. Was amusing but I seriously doubt his assumptions are shared by most people. I am excited about what is happening in the motorcycle industry. In the last 5 years high performance anti lock brakes and traction control have become almost mandatory on high end bikes. Also I think it's the Beemer sport tour bike that now comes with a built in air bag. Cool things are happening and I think its awesome. Biking as a commute vehicle? Not for me. Who wants to show up to work in full leathers? It's a hobby but that doesn't make it a bad thing.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

dub

Quote from: Tahoebrian5 on October 08, 2014, 07:40:14 AMBiking as a commute vehicle? Not for me. Who wants to show up to work in full leathers? It's a hobby but that doesn't make it a bad thing.

There are other pieces of protective gear you can wear on a bike besides a full leather suit, you know. I commute on the Tiger every day. It may be a just a hobby to you, but in much of the world it's a primary means of transportation.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

dub

PS, didn't read that article. I can tell it's trash just by the URL.

GreenMachine

Why, what's in the URL that tips you off that the article is trash?

GreenMachine

I'm more in TB5's boat.  I'd love to commute with the bike, but it's just not practical.  Between the gear, messy hair, sweating, leaving the bike unguarded in the Sun and the exhaust smell I take with me on my clothes, the times I have tried it my clients noticed.  So riding is mostly a hobby or just for distance occasions where I can get away with it.

That won't stop me from looking for other solutions though.  I see those electric powered bicycles zipping down the road at 35 MPH and think, I should try that.  If only there was a convenient way to lock it up or take it with me inside.   :|)

slmoto

Quote from: GreenMachine on October 08, 2014, 11:03:33 AM
I'm more in TB5's boat.  I'd love to commute with the bike, but it's just not practical.  Between the gear, messy hair, sweating, leaving the bike unguarded in the Sun and the exhaust smell I take with me on my clothes, the times I have tried it my clients noticed.  So riding is mostly a hobby or just for distance occasions where I can get away with it.

That won't stop me from looking for other solutions though.  I see those electric powered bicycles zipping down the road at 35 MPH and think, I should try that.  If only there was a convenient way to lock it up or take it with me inside.   :|)

I agree when it comes to the Reno area. I've had to commute the past couple months because my car died and I was lazy about getting my other truck from the Bay Area here, which I'm finally going to get this weekend. It sucks, I only have a 7 min drive to work and getting all the gear on to go such a short distance gets old fast, especially when I have to run errands and I'm on and off with the helmet, gloves.. each time I have to run in somewhere. When I don't have running around to do I just ride my bicycle but in the heat of the past months I show up sweaty. Not a big deal for me because I don't deal with the public or other employees but I can see how it'd be a problem if you do. But when it comes to commuting in places that have much more traffic like the Bay Area I can see getting a commute bike, it can save you a lot of time even if you only have 10-20 mile commute considering traffic is so bad there but that's CA I guess other states wouldn't make much of a difference not allowing lane splitting.

Mel

Scott, you seem to be the perfect candidate for a 50cc scooter...no helmet needed, cheap on gas, and fun as hell around town :)!

Mel

dub

Quote from: GreenMachine on October 08, 2014, 10:56:49 AM
Why, what's in the URL that tips you off that the article is trash?

lanesplitter.jalopnik.com

Everything on the Gawker Media Network is trash. Sensationalist, inflammatory, speculative. They are basically professional trolls.

Quote from: GreenMachine on October 08, 2014, 11:03:33 AMBetween the gear, messy hair, sweating, leaving the bike unguarded in the Sun and the exhaust smell I take with me on my clothes, the times I have tried it my clients noticed.

I don't deal with any of those problems.

Quote from: Mel on October 08, 2014, 12:14:21 PM
Scott, you seem to be the perfect candidate for a 50cc scooter...no helmet needed, cheap on gas, and fun as hell around town :)!

Mel

Why the hell would he not need a helmet for a 50cc scooter. Will he suddenly be invincible against spaced out texting morons who will plow him down in their SUVs?

RichVee4

All journalism these days needs to be taken with some skepticism.  The writer obviously has some biases and opinions but some good arguments are presented.  Even if you don't agree with the source, other people are reading it and making judgments.  

I doubt anyone would disagree that MC education in the US is seriously lacking.  Helmets are not even required in all states.  I know in Florida if you want to ride without a helmet you are required to have $10K medical ins to cover your funeral I guess.   I am glad to be in the US and can buy any bike I want but new riders are able to go by a Hayabusa the day after getting their license and ride off without a helmet (in some states).  Not saying this is always bad but more experience wouldn't hurt and other countries have stricter limits for new riders.  

The media is extremely quick to publish anytime there a MC incident and that influences peoples views.   The majority of non riders are so brainwashed into the dangers of MC's that they would never consider riding.

I would think a safer more educated riding population would be good for the sport and sales.

I second the scooter as a blast to ride.

Good discussion.

RichVee4

If commuting via bike was an option for me I would without hesitation, not 100% but a portion.  Nothing like a ride to forget about all the joys of work.