Main Menu

Roll Call - Downieville 09/28/14 9:30 AM start

Started by GreenMachine, September 22, 2014, 06:07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichVee4

Quote from: GreenMachine on September 27, 2014, 06:22:34 PM
Saw some HDs going up into it.  What a drag for them!

Conditions this weekend must have been brutal for the HD crowd.  On our way over the hill Fri saw 100's of HD on their way up not knowing what they were getting into, high 30's and rain in Truckee.  Wearing half helmet's and sweatshirts, not the best gear for cold and wet. Even today, bikes leaving town in a steady rain.  The summit must have been freezing. 
Live long and prosper \V/

RichVee4

GreenMachine

A bit chilly here in Reno tonight.  Not my kind of riding conditions for the street.  Better though for dirt.

As for those tough guys on the bikes, that's part of their mystique.  Torturing themselves for the nostalgia of it.  8)
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

Mel

Yeah, after seeing those guys I realized that I'm getting a little soft in my old age :)! I do remember though living and riding in those nostalgia days when it was real without any modern gear...just work boots, levis, and sweatshirt with an old Army field jacket. You would be soaked to the bone and freezing your ass off in the rain and pull into the first coffee shop you found coming out of the mountains to warm up and drink hot coffee 8)!

Mel

A DRAGON

Yeah funny how we figure thingo out later.   That riding in the rain. I'll pass. If I have a choice NO.  If I get caught in it. OK  I'll deal with it.

Thinking about heading to HWY 1 ON THURSDAY till Saturday.  Get one last trip in before the snow flies.
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

GreenMachine

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

GreenMachine

Okay, so Dragon's headed for the coast right now for a weekend full of coastal riding.  I'm thinking Downieville still, but for Saturday.  Get a lazy meet-up of 9:30 and KSU of 9:45 AM or maybe 9:45 with KSU at 10:00?  Temps are above normal by 5 - 7 degrees in the morning every day for the foreseeable forecast, so that ought to take the edge off, which will mean it'll be warmer earlier at the higher elevations too.

RichVee4

I'm afraid I'd overheat and melt riding in these high temps above 40deg.  Actually, wish I could go Sat it looks like a beautiful day for a ride on 49, but need to stay close to home for work. 

GreenMachine

Funny guy!

Hey, if we get an extra two weeks or a month out of a riding season from these warmer temperatures, I'll take it.  You my not have been here 20 years ago, I used to wear long-johns and a wool London Fog overcoat for our winters.  Anymore, you can just about get away with blue jeans and a relatively warm overcoat. 

From various Web sites I've been on, freezing morning lows could come as early as October 22nd.  I don't think it's going to be anywhere near that for the next week or so, actually 48* on Saturday morning and 83 degrees for the high.   That'll be downright pleasant.

Mel

So, will there be any goat roads on this ride :rotflmao!!

Mel

GreenMachine

For determining departure time, just to be tricky, I'm going to leave it up to the weather and whether or not it feels better to get rolling at 9:45 or 10:00 AM.  And of course, if nobody RSVPs about this ride before tomorrow, I may just take off at 8:00 AM.  :dunno