Main Menu

The Joys of a Solo Ride

Started by Mel, August 31, 2014, 06:37:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mel

Hey guys,

I just got back awhile ago from a solo ride today and loved it. Groups rides can be fun, especially for the camaraderie, but there are times when solo rides can be a breath of fresh air 8)! When you're running solo you don't have to wait up or keep the pace down for slower riders if you're faster, and at the same time, you don't have to try and keep up with a faster rider or get left behind if you are slower. When you are riding solo you are the fastest rider and the slowest rider all at once :)! Also, when riding solo you can run any route you want or make it up as you go, make as many stops as you want, and eat wherever you want without having to worry about the group. You can also work on your riding technique at your own pace.

With that said, I had a great time on the goat roads today, and I'm betting I didn't have the traffic that the guys on the 3 passes ride had today :)! In fact, I pretty much had zero traffic on the roads I went on. I never saw a car on Norton Grade, one pickup that pulled over for me on Iowa Hill, and had no cars on Old Foresthill. Speaking of Old Foresthill, this road should be the standard for getting over to Cool and Hwy 93 to Georgetown instead of taking 49 through Auburn. I had the road to myself today with zero cars in my lane from Foresthill down to the bridge and the river at 49. Instead of going up 49 to Auburn, I turned around and went back up Old Foresthill, again with no cars in my lane the whole way. This would be a great road for those of you that like to do laps. It's only 3 miles long but heaven all the way with medium speed turns and guardrails GM :)!! Also, the climb back up is gradual, not like Geiger, so the bikes like the 250/300 Ninjas wouldn't have as hard a time on the climb up. I checked out one goat road off of Secret Town Rd and it started out great, but then a couple miles in turned into potholes and gravel! I was thinking the whole time riding in this nasty section that it would have been fun to have GM with me...that had me chuckling in my helmet LOL!!

Awesome "Mel roads", no traffic, no cops, and running solo...it doesn't get much better than that ;)!

Mel 

NevadaWolf

Sounds like a fun day was had.

I love riding solo for all the mentioned reasons. One always hears "Ride your own ride" when riding with groups, going solo helps you learn what your own ride really is.

GreenMachine

We were talking about a rider, a regional Triumph representative, who'd go off doing his own thing.  It was Déjà vu of Alan Porter's story and one many of us who like to explore are all too familiar with.  He didn't tell anybody where he as going, he didn't have his cellphone with him and his body was found about a week later by people who stumbled upon the carnage.

I know this would never happen to any of us, but it's food for thought.  If you can give someone a hint of what area you'll be traveling, it can help search & rescue parties in those precious immediate hours after one of us goes missing.  If there is a chance to save a life, time is critical.

But solo riding does have that mysterious fun flavor to it, like there's no other obligation in the world preventing you from doing any adventurous thing you want to do.  About the only limitations are daylight and how much gas you have.

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

Mel

I always have my cell phone with me and will tell my wife the route I am taking. I will call or text during the ride to check in periodically and also let her know if I plan on changing my route...just simple precautions learned from many years of riding ;).

"Mysterious fun flavor" for sure 8)!

Mel

Tahoebrian5

It's even better if you are somewhat lost for a bit. Adds to the adventure factor. That is always part of my dirt biking agenda. Mell, given your love for barely paved roads you should consider getting into a dirt bike. Also gives you something to obsess over when its raining.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

dub

Yeah, I'm surprised Mel hasn't fit dirt biking into his long, illustrious motorbiking career.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

Mel

Hey guys,

I would love to have a dirt bike, but the simple truth is I can't afford one. I've never had high tech, high paying jobs, so between my two passions, motorcycles and guns, I've always had to ration a bit to enjoy both ;)! One of these days before I'm too old, I might eventually get a dirt bike 8)!

Mel

dub

They can be had for pretty cheap.

RichVee4

This may be a good place to announce I am the proud parent of a new (used) dirt bike :)
Live long and prosper \V/

Mel

Congrats Rich, you will have a blast :thumbup!!

Dub, sometimes even cheap is just out of reach ;)!

Mel

slmoto

Quote from: RichVee4 on September 04, 2014, 06:49:44 PM
This may be a good place to announce I am the proud parent of a new (used) dirt bike :)

Congrats Rich, what'd you get?

I've been looking for some time now, hoping to pick one up this winter. See you in the dirt section when I do!

RichVee4

Used bikes are definitely the way to go.  When I first moved to Reno in 2000 I bought an older xt350 (86) for 1800 and sold it 12 yrs later for 300 less that what I paid.  Couldn't believe I sold it in less than a day.  Loved that bike, wish I never sold it!  The technology in the air cooled thumper motors hasn't changed much in the last 30 yrs so really don't miss out on much buying an older bike.  

Pic similar to my first dirt bike

RichVee4

Congrats Rich, what'd you get?

Got a great deal on a used Honda (of course) 250cc

dub

I have a 2001 xr250. Honda air cooled thumpers, man... Change the oil/filter, check the valve clearance and clean the filter. That's it and it will run for ever and ever. Sounds like a sewing machine and pulls like a tractor up the climbs.