Main Menu

Justin Mestaka

Started by stevewaclo, August 12, 2014, 09:46:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevewaclo

Hello everyone,

Back in 2007, I rode close to 200 miles at RFR under the tuteledge of Justin and I remember him as an intelligent, knowledgeable and patient instructor. We had a wonderful day and when my bike ran out of fuel (who knew I'd only get 20mpg at WOT?) he threw me a line and towed me back to the paddock and shared fuel he brought for himself. I still recall standing trackside on the front straight watching him go past at what had to be the neighborhood of 150.

I joined this group in an effort to contact him, but a search only brought up a disturbing post from 2011 about a fund raiser to assist with his medical expenses.

What happened?

Best wishes.

GreenMachine

I only knew of Justin, but I haven't heard much news about him since the charity trackday.  From what I remember, he had his surgery and was still out and about.  It's hard to tell though, because RFR and TTP events are virtually nonexistent. 

You can check his page Fb page here:

Justin Mastalka

Probably your best bet would be from speaking to the racers, like Dub or Brian over at SPL.

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

dub

I don't know him well. I think the last time he raced with AFM was 2008 or 09. We was fading from the track scene just as I was starting out and that's when he got sick. IIRC he had a form of cancer. It was tough on him because he was self employed. A charity trackday at RFR was organized to raise money for him. As far as I know he's doing fine these days; I haven't heard different. He doesn't turn up at trackdays or races anymore. I don't have his number. Call Brian at SPL 775-825-4457, he can probably give it to you.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

stevewaclo

Hello again!

Thanks for the guidance.

Brian (#2) at SPL told me it's been a long time since Justin has been heard from. I left a message on Justin's Facebook page for him to call, and if has no objection, I'll leave an update for old friends who may have lost touch.

Chatted with Brian (#2) for a bit and was troubled to learn new management at RFR has put the road course on their back burner (turned waaaay down) and has not been doing very much maintenance out there. Apparently the dirt track is now their focus.

I wanted to contact Justin because he an I had such a great time at RFR that long ago day and I was hoping for a repeat. A bit more expensive than a group track day, but endless laps made it a hoot!

Anyone have ideas along those lines?

Best wishes and I'll check back in later.

GreenMachine

Looking forward, yes.  The post above yours is the man you want to ride with.  Not sure if he's going in the capacity of a rider or an instructor for the upcoming T-hill event, but there are other days you can ride there too.

See here > T-hill

I mostly know Dub from our SSA group riding days, where he rides often.  He races and instructs at the track too, so he's a busy man.   And I've ridden with him at the track too, T-hill just this past Easter holiday.   If you want to relive those RFR memories by riding at the track with someone who can show you the track and give you pointers, session after session, he's your man!
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

rg500nut

I'm not shy about creating new threads."
2 strokes always...............

dub

Quote from: rg500nut on August 13, 2014, 11:52:11 AM
I'm not shy about creating new threads."

OK, posting a bunch of nonsense in that other thread is one thing, but why would you come in here and post that?
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019