Main Menu

Michael's tire change ripoff price?

Started by aruz, March 20, 2009, 03:09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aruz

Turns out if you have your own tires and take them to Michael's to put them on your bike they charge $170.00 !!!

Is this a fair price? It seems to me a 'little' excessive...

Anybody here knows a another place to get the tires changed for a reasonable price?

Thanks in adavance!

Team Gorgonzola

Call back Michael, ask for John Giambastiani and tell him you're SSA. I don't think it will be more than $ 10/$ 15 per tire (don't quote me on that)
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube.
-Hunter S. Thompson-

jlag

Quote from: aruz on March 20, 2009, 03:09:43 PM
Turns out if you have your own tires and take them to Michael's to put them on your bike they charge $170.00 !!!

Is this a fair price? It seems to me a 'little' excessive...

Anybody here knows a another place to get the tires changed for a reasonable price?

Thanks in adavance!
Bring it to 2 wheel Custom Performance 775-303-1857.
The guys there are very nice and do an excellent job.

Yard Sale

Uh, no. I recall paying significantly less than that to have my slicks mounted on my 250 wheels. It wasn't cheap but it wasn't absurd.

By any chance does this $170 "tire change" include removing and replacing the wheels on the motorcycle?

aruz

Quote from: Yard Sale on March 20, 2009, 04:09:41 PM
Uh, no. I recall paying significantly less than that to have my slicks mounted on my 250 wheels. It wasn't cheap but it wasn't absurd.

By any chance does this $170 "tire change" include removing and replacing the wheels on the motorcycle?

Yeah the wheels are on the bike... I got a quote from 2WCP for $45 per tire, seems like Michael's wanted to punish me for not buying the tires from them.

SPL

170 dollars????????????? :-\

I dont know how they justify that crap.  If you have tires a realistic price is 80 to 95 bucks depending on where you go. Any more than that is a rip off. 

If you need tires changed take it to your smaller business that WONT rip you off on labor!
Like 2wcp and SPL.   Guys please support the little guys like us.

I would think by now that most people would figure out that dealerships will over price on everything including labor rates!!!

This is a prime example!
Building Dreams One Bike At A Time!  775-825-4457

Justin

Quote from: Team Gorgonzola VP on March 20, 2009, 03:50:23 PM
Call back Michael, ask for John Giambastiani and tell him you're SSA. I don't think it will be more than $ 10/$ 15 per tire (don't quote me on that)
what he said.
$45 per tire is the east coast dealership price for 'wheels on the bike' mount and balance, regardless of where the tire was purchased.

repsol71

There is a place right next to Savemart on Hwy 50 that does it for $44.00 Adventure sports is the name of it if I recall, or if you know someone in the automotive field and they have access to a tire machine then see if he/she will hook you up, I have been doing my tires on a automotive tire machine for years,just have to take one of the rotors off the front, maybe even check with les scwab or big o.
I am always ready to rip!!!

repsol71

And no that is not a fair price, here in the Sac valley at the dealership it is only $70 on the bike, and $44.00 if it is off the bike
I am always ready to rip!!!

Yard Sale

Quote from: aruz on March 20, 2009, 04:15:57 PM
Yeah the wheels are on the bike...
Well then it's not a simple "tire change" it's labor to remove and replace the wheels in addition to mount and balance the tires, and dispose of the old tires.

It sounds like they are charging one hour per wheel. (I think I saw a $85/hr labor rate when I was in there.)

The best thing to do in this not-quite-free-market of ours is to vote with your wallet and your feet and take your bike to someone who provides a satisfactory level of service at a fair price.

TWF

that is actually not unreasonable price for dealer with huge overhead.
it takes more than hour to do it so you get charged for 1.5-2 hours.
some bikes are easier than others. try taking wheels on/off on some cruisers with side bags, like gold wing :)
small guys can do whatever they want. from free to ??

oldBolt

They don't call them stealers for nothing.

Use New Shop- 2 Wheel Custom Performance :
"I have inhaled, exhaled everything." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

n10sive

Reno Motor Sports (RMS) just opened Carson Motor Sport (CMS). They are a new KTM dealer (posted the RC8) picture here. They work on all types of bikes and do tires...and are ready to deal. If you are in the South Reno/Carson/Douglas areas you might want to check them out.
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

Mike Cullen

I bought my own tire machine and balance equipment, it's all ready paid for itself...if you go through tires alot think about it.

aruz

Quote from: Mike C on March 22, 2009, 07:05:54 PM
I bought my own tire machine and balance equipment, it's all ready paid for itself...if you go through tires alot think about it.

Yep good idea, after some google research:

World's Cheapest Bead Breaker:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/bead-breaker/motorcycle-tire-bead-breaker.htm

Another bead breaker:

http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17182

Motorcycle Wheel Balancer:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Reviewed-motorcycle-products/balancer/

These can get paid by itself in one riding season!