Main Menu

Thanks TB5 for showing me around some of the nearby trails.

Started by GreenMachine, March 08, 2014, 05:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

:cuckoo

I wasn't feeling it when we dropped the bikes off, but I'm winding down now.  I may be asleep here shortly.  Sleep sounds so good about now.

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

GreenMachine

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

GreenMachine

I ordered boots and riding outfit.  Just need to find the helmet and goggle combination.

Tahoebrian5

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

Tahoebrian5

You might want to stick with hiking boots for a few more rides. You don't get much tactile feel on the levers with riding boots.

Must have gear is a full upper body pressure suit and a good set of knee armor. I like the articulating type.

I don't think I can make it out tomorrow cause I'm overbooked with work, damn!

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

dub

IMO, good, high end riding boots are the most important part of an off road kit. I highly recommend Sidi Crossfires. I would ride in a cheap helmet and no upper body armor before I would ride in crappy (or hiking) boots.  Here's a good case study: http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=429849 (just read posts 2, 3 and 11 if you are in a hurry, then skip to the end to see how she is doing nearly a year later). I guess as always with any discussion of gear and crashing, it pretty much all boils down to the level of risk you are willing to accept and expense you are willing to incur to mitigate the rest. But I feel particularly strongly about the boots. My $.02.

As for knee pads, I got a pair of these and are absolute tits! http://www.leatt.com/shop/body-protection/knee-leg-guards-hard-shell/knee-leg-hard-adult/dual-axis-knee-guard.html
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

Tahoebrian5

I am a definite believer in good boots. I've fractured my big toe twice WITH riding boots on from not seeing rocks at speed, then wham your foot gets knocked off the peg. Without riding boots I would have no doubt have destroyed a foot.

My only point is its easier to ride at first when you can feel the levers. Also as a beginner you should not being going very fast. It's still a risk that you could tip over and twist an ankle or something but the added feel may prevent a crash also. Just my 2 cents, its a dangerous sport either way

GreenMachine

Quote from: Tahoebrian5 on March 29, 2014, 10:38:51 AM
Don't you have an announcement to make?!!
Not until I officially have the pink slip, Mr. Columbian Cartel man!

Tahoebrian5

I read through that thread. It's hard to understand how that happened at low speed doing drills. Jeez. I guess you never know when something is going to happen. It does seem though that I've never crashed hard when doing something risky or extremely difficult. I think in those moments your focus is such that you get away with it. It's the moments when you let your guard down that will get you.

Damn, I'm regretting my decision to work today instead of ride

dub

Quote from: Tahoebrian5 on March 30, 2014, 08:11:35 AM
I read through that thread. It's hard to understand how that happened at low speed doing drills. Jeez. I guess you never know when something is going to happen.

Yeah crazy huh? That thread is a good read because she is a very good writer.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

GreenMachine

Quote from: Tahoebrian5 on March 30, 2014, 08:11:35 AM...

Damn, I'm regretting my decision to work today instead of ride
Who cares about riding!  Did you make it up to the part where Chachi starts dating Joanie?  That's my favorite section.