Main Menu
  • Welcome to SSA Sierra Sportbike Association | Reno Nevada Motorcycle Trackday Weekend Riding Club.

Tires

Started by mase, April 08, 2012, 08:18:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mase

What is a good guess at the shelf life of a new tire sitting in the closet inside the house.  I have a set of Q2 that I have had for about 1 year.  I bought them from a friend who had them in his closet for about 1 year.  Never been outside, never sat on the pavement.  Should I put them on or are the oils going to be no good?
Sean Mason

GreenMachine

IMO, I wouldn't be concerned.   Like you, I have about 4 sets sitting in a closet at my house.  I individually shrink wrap them and store them in the box they came in.  The oldest is about 2 years old now, but slated to go on my bike this month.  That doesn't include how long they may have sat at the retailers warehouse.

Maybe if they were 4+ years old, I'd be getting worried.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

mase

Cool, Good to know.  Will the oils raise to the surface and make them slick right out the gate?  Other than tire warmers is there a way or should they be heated up in case?  I've never had a set of tires sit; I've always bought them and put them on.
Sean Mason

n10sive

they have a coating on them that forms during the manufacturing process that makes them slippery, and help preserve them. All you have to be aware of is that they will need scrubbing in. So be careful of on/off ramps on the highway and take it easy for a few miles.
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike