Main Menu
  • Welcome to SSA Sierra Sportbike Association | Reno Nevada Motorcycle Trackday Weekend Riding Club.

1983 KZ750

Started by SaintMichael, July 12, 2011, 07:39:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SaintMichael

Morning Everyone,

I will be starting a KZ750 project in the next few weeks. If any vendors have a line on replacement parts/upgrades I would surely be interested in hearing about them. Also I am clueless when it comes to carbs. Tips/tricks/tuning kits would be much appreciated haha
2001 Yamaha R6

Die my dear? Why that's the last thing I'll do. - Groucho Marx

SaintMichael

Correction: build date 11/81
2001 Yamaha R6

SaintMichael

And just becuase I like to hear myself talk, has anyone run into a similar situation:

The bike was abandoned on our property at work. Been sitting outside for about a year and a half with the oirignal owner not returning calls to come get it. Has anyone been through the process to title such a beast? probably a question for DMV but I thought I would ask.
2001 Yamaha R6

Scott

what you need to do is call a tow yard, they will put a lean on the title (for a small fee) and then you wait the required amount of time for the registered owner to contact dmv to resolve the lean. If they dont then the tow yard now owns the bike and you can apply for a salvage title.
GSX-R600

n10sive

youngster on this forum should be able to help you with all that.
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

GreenMachine

So is it a 1982 KZ-750 then?

Anyway, I think I'm pretty good at tuning carburetors and owned that generation KZ.  So long as the previous owner didn't F-them up too bad drilling holes and cutting springs, it should be repairable.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

SaintMichael

We do some work with D&S Towing in Reno, so I got them to handle that side of it for me. I wont know how bad everything is for about a month or so, but I will keep updating. Being that it was outside for almost 2 years, tires are shot, brakes are rusted, wiring is questionable and the seat is done. Not to mention all the oxidization on the tank and two bits of plastic need some rubbing compound and paint (tank might need to be stripped, I saw some cancer).

Being the build date was late 81, assuming an 82 model year is probably right.
2001 Yamaha R6

cobra23

AHhhAHHAhHAHhHahhh!!!

I thought I was the only KZ addict!!

I just am busting with curiousity, what will you be doing? You may have seen the wonderings about the KZ 900 post...yes?

http://www.sierrasportbike.com/smf/index.php?topic=721.0

You need help just shout!!!

SaintMichael

I was cruising through that post yesterday in fact. It has been a few years since I took a bike down and restored it, but I am hoping to go to the frame with new paint and work back from there. The last one I did was a little KX80 and this will be my first time on a streetbike. I talked to the guys at 2WCP yesterday and got some goo starting tips (make sure it actually turns over, etc..). Not looking to go too radical but definitely going to take me some time to get her street worthy.
2001 Yamaha R6

SaintMichael

I am wondering if anyone has come across a digital tach/speedo combo thats not brand/model specific. Universal in other words
2001 Yamaha R6

n10sive

Quote from: SaintMichael on August 04, 2011, 04:48:23 PM
I am wondering if anyone has come across a digital tach/speedo combo thats not brand/model specific. Universal in other words

There are a bunch out there. Just google "Motorcycle Speedometer" and the shopping results will show a bunch. Once upon a time (and I think it was on this forum) there was discussions about putting a speedo on a SV650 that has had the GSXR front end mod. Can't remember the brand people were using though sorry.

BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

SaintMichael

2001 Yamaha R6

SaintMichael

I am picking her up from D&S Towing this afternoon. Pictures to follow
2001 Yamaha R6

Team Gorgonzola

Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube.
-Hunter S. Thompson-

SaintMichael

So apparently the Theird Reich limits our web access, no photobucket access. Photo uploads will have to wait until tonight.
2001 Yamaha R6