Main Menu

Ride to Virginia City

Started by Vegasrider, July 19, 2015, 09:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vegasrider

What a great ride! The road was relatively clean and the overall condition of the highway was great.  The highway reminded me of the Old Spiral Highway in Northern Idaho, right outside of Lewiston.  With all those bars and different places to drink, I was wondering how many crashes and fatalities that this highway has had due to riders having a drink or two.  FYI....I enjoy having a cold one, but I never drink and ride.  If I know I'm drinking, then I know I'm not riding.  

RichVee4

That is Geiger grade and is a very enjoyable MC road.    However your intuition is correct, there is a higher percentage of MC incidents on that road than anywhere else in the area so keep that in mind.   We lost a fellow rider this year on that road due to weekend racer over shooting a DY resulting in a head on.  The unfortunate part is that happens quite frequently.   If I ride Geiger I try to go early in the day before the traffic gets heavy. 
Live long and prosper \V/

GreenMachine

Rich's advice is spot on. 

Always ride safe, don't endanger others, stay in your own lane and be mindful of vehicles that may be coming around corners too fast. 

As my private pilots instructor would drill into our heads, always be looking for your way out while flying; emergency landing strips or best possible avenues to go where, if the engine stalls, you may live to fly another day.  You never know when you'll need to act on it. 
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.