Main Menu

Open ride roll call 07/05/15. Sponsor a ride of your own...again

Started by GreenMachine, June 29, 2015, 07:53:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

Historically the weekend of July 4th is one that most SSA riders spend with their families and few venture out for rides.  That being tradition, I left the weekend open for riders who would like to schedule something and have others join in.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

dub

I'm supposed to
Quote from: GreenMachine on June 29, 2015, 07:53:08 PM
Historically the weekend of July 4th is one that most SSA riders spend with their families and few venture out for rides.

I'm supposed to do what? I'll be at the racetrack.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

flamecrow

I'm going to be taking a break from last weekend's ride but was curious if anyone has done this road:

Highway 89 Lassen Peak

Is it twisties worthy or just scenic/tourist/traffic?

:grnbike

GreenMachine

If I'm not mistaken, the posted speed limit through the national park is 35 - 45 MPH.  I've done that route once in a car just after dawn and there was still traffic.  I'd avoid trying to get your thrill on that route.  That is, unless your handle begins with Tahoe.  Then it's whatever you can get away with.

If you're looking for potential roads, check out the roads southeast of there, the one that wraps around Eagle Lake.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

slmoto

I rode through Hwy 89 Lassen Peak last year on my to Mt. Shasta. In terms of scenery/views, beautiful. In terms of riding/driving, horrible. Lots of tourist/traffic, I don't know if the speed limit was even as high as 35-45. Even if you pass you're right on top of someone again putting along at 15mph.

Quote from: GreenMachine on June 30, 2015, 07:00:39 AM
If you're looking for potential roads, check out the roads southeast of there, the one that wraps around Eagle Lake.

I rode Eagle Lake Rd. last year on my way to Portland, OR. It was fun and worth getting off 139 for a bit. Almost no traffic to speak of and the roads were in good condition, twisty's were mild compared to most of our other rides but still fun.

dub

slmoto

Quote from: dub on June 30, 2015, 10:41:47 AM
Is that road in the park fee area, like Tioga pass?

Yeah, I think it was about $15 on a bike. And it was good for a few days, I could have gone back through there after the weekend of camping but choose not to due to the slow traffic.

GreenMachine

I'm thinking of a very early AM run on La Porte and maybe one other, via Yuba.  Back home by 2 PM, at the latest.

:evil1  I got my family reunion out of the way last weekend.  And nobody's on any of these roads in the AM hours from what I've experienced in the past.

GreenMachine

Quote from: dub on June 29, 2015, 11:23:06 PM
See?  You're doing it. 

At the track with your extended family.

dub

Quote from: GreenMachine on July 01, 2015, 09:43:15 AM
Quote from: dub on June 29, 2015, 11:23:06 PM
See?  You're doing it. 

At the track with your extended family.

Dammit, you tricked me.

flamecrow

Yes! Thanks for the helpful responses, knew it would be worth asking you guys =P

RichVee4

Quote from: GreenMachine on July 01, 2015, 08:30:49 AM
I'm thinking of a very early AM run on La Porte and maybe one other, via Yuba.  Back home by 2 PM, at the latest.

An early ride Sunday sounds fun.   I am good with anytime after 7.  I'd be happy with Yuba

Live long and prosper \V/

GreenMachine

RichVee4

Interesting July weather, cooled off nicely today and nice to see some rain.  Tomorrow is supposed to be nice so will check in bright and early to see what conditions look like.  I don't think you've set a start time yet, so how does 7;30 sound?
Live long and prosper \V/

Bigcat

I might be game. what's the planned destination? Did I see LaPorte?