Main Menu

Im baaaaaaack!

Started by RocketRider, June 18, 2015, 05:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RocketRider

Its not quite uh....running perfect. Long story short I think ive got piston slap but for now it runs and into the ground it shall be ran! New kid makes it hard to go out on long rides but I'll be around :)
PIN IT TO WIN IT!

Please support my race team Rocket Pace Racing!https://www.facebook.com/RocketPaceRacing
We're accepting everything from Sponsors, to Facebook likes, to simple pats on the back :)

Thank you Apex-Speed and EBC Brakes for supporting our efforts to go faster!

288RR

About time. Glad to see you have her back together!  To bad about the possibility of a piston slap.    Do you think you might be with timing and its pinging?   Just thinking out loud here.  I'm sure you have thought of all of that

RocketRider

Long story short, this is the second build of this engine, the first one overheated when it blew the head gasket (no clue why). The first build ran perfect before it overheated. Tore the engine down again, lightly sanded scoring off the pistons, rehoned the sleeves, and replaced all the gaskets. Sanding and honing mustve removed just enough material on one piston. No head leaks but ticking now. All evidence points to piston slap. Loud when cold, quieter when hot. Checked cam clocking, thats all good. Engine feels normal and doesnt blow smoke. Just has that damn tick.

The only other possibility is valve clearance. It was set first build but with valves and seats freshly cut I suppose I could be out of spec already. Its on my list to check after break in oil change.

Ill be lurking for ride!
PIN IT TO WIN IT!

Please support my race team Rocket Pace Racing!https://www.facebook.com/RocketPaceRacing
We're accepting everything from Sponsors, to Facebook likes, to simple pats on the back :)

RichVee4

Welcome back.  Was going to ask if w/turbo but looked at the pic and answered that question.  Still have the noise without boost?  would think that would exacerbate the noise if its piston slap.  My dad has a mid 2000's chevy pu that has had piston slap when cold from when it was new and hasnt caused any issues.   
Live long and prosper \V/

RocketRider

Im sure it exists on power but it quickly disappears behind engine noise even under light engine load :)
PIN IT TO WIN IT!

GreenMachine

Between the Mun and a new baby (congrats, BTW!), how do you find time for a Turbo engine project?   :|)
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

Tahoebrian5

Have you tried running a little bit of ATF in the oil for a little while? This can help break in parts. I have good luck using that on engine builds before although not on a bike.

Congrats!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.