Main Menu

Miller motorsports to close

Started by Tahoebrian5, May 08, 2015, 10:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tahoebrian5

Sad news

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=34564450&nid=148&title=lhm-to-cease-operation-of-miller-motorsports-park-in-october&s_cid=queue-1

Im going to make a point to get out there for a track day this summer.

Hope another investor does something with this facility.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

dub

How about Apex Trackdays, Perimeter course, 7/24? I'm putting a road trip together to do that trackday on friday, then race the USBA Masters of the Mountains series that weekend.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

dub

Quote from: Tahoebrian5 on May 08, 2015, 10:13:54 PMHope another investor does something with this facility.

That would be good, but outlook unfavorable. MMP was basically a passion project of Larry H. Miller. He died in 2009. It loses money and his family doesn't want to deal with it anymore. Due diligence from any prospective buyer will easily uncover the fact that money making prospect is not so good. Really, MMP is just a much nicer version of RFR. It's a seasonal track about an hour into the desert from a population center not large enough to support it.

Tahoebrian5

I don't understand how any of them stay in business. What boggles my mind is that thunder hill is expanding and it seems to be more out in the sticks than miller. SLC is a pretty large population base

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

GreenMachine

Different priorities perhaps?  I don't see any new motorcycles in there.

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

Tahoebrian5

They are probably going to turn the place into a huge Mormon church compound

Tahoebrian5

Is  anyone interested in doing a track day there later this summer?

rg500nut

Yes on Track day this summer............

rg500nut
2 strokes always...............

Tahoebrian5

Right on, they have the full course offered on sept 7th. I won't have a truck then because my wife will have it at burning man. July 24th is the perimeter course. What sounds good? You want to carpool? We should probably book the days sometime this month before they get booked up. Awesome!!!

dub

Quote from: Tahoebrian5 on May 09, 2015, 06:41:11 AM
I don't understand how any of them stay in business. What boggles my mind is that thunder hill is expanding and it seems to be more out in the sticks than miller. SLC is a pretty large population base

SLC = 2.4 million people.
Bay Area = 7.5 million people. And that doesn't even include the rest of Northern California. Yeah, Thill really seems to be doing something right. But, there have been many other tracks in California that had their heyday then shut down.

dub

Quote from: Tahoebrian5 on May 09, 2015, 08:49:14 AM

First reply in this thread:

Quote from: dub on May 08, 2015, 10:27:31 PM
How about Apex Trackdays, Perimeter course, 7/24? I'm putting a road trip together to do that trackday on friday, then race the USBA Masters of the Mountains series that weekend.

Tahoebrian5

Quote from: dub on May 09, 2015, 03:26:30 PM
Quote from: Tahoebrian5 on May 09, 2015, 08:49:14 AM

First reply in this thread:

Quote from: dub on May 08, 2015, 10:27:31 PM

My bad, I missed your entire post. Rickdiculous is going to be there on 7/23. I'm trying to talk dr grass into staying for the 24th and riding with me. He's on the fence but if you are going also I will just have to book it. Maybe I'll stay to watch the race too

dub

Quote from: Tahoebrian5 on May 09, 2015, 10:06:19 PMI'm trying to talk dr grass into staying for the 24th and riding with me. He's on the fence but if you are going also I will just have to book it. Maybe I'll stay to watch the race too

That's an excellent idea.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I have this feeling we aren't the only ones with this idea and the remaining Apex Trackdays events are going to start filling up. I'm gonna book soon I think.

Tahoebrian5

I was thinking tgat very thought. I'll try to decide in the next 7 days if not sooner

Tahoebrian5

I just signed up for July 24th, A group (better get my chops up!). Starting to see chatter about this on other forums. Better sign up soon!