Main Menu

Track day tire usage

Started by Justin, March 08, 2009, 10:41:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adiggity

Quote from: Putz on March 12, 2009, 10:06:22 AM
Wouldn't hurt my feelings to pick up some of those, I'm too broke to buy new tires...
Well, maybe if your a good boy this year Santa will bring you something reeeaaalll special.  :)

Yard Sale

Quote from: Adiggity on March 12, 2009, 12:19:55 PMPoint taken. I was just being a smart ass. It's the way I am, just hard to express through a forum sometimes I guess. No need to defend yourself. Don't mind me.
Also, I just realized this is a thread about track days, but it's in the racers section. Different contexts. I was of course talking about track day riding not racing.

I blame the pink baby-doll shirt wearing thread starter.

Justin

!!!!!! HEY  !!!!!!!
Pink was the new black. . . So really it was a black baby doll shirt I had on. It was more of a midriff, really

It's better to ask an amateur racer about tires, because you push limits more than I do.
I don't want to ask less experienced or more conservative riders for advice on traction.

!!!!!!

Yard Sale

I checked and the front tire on my GSXR has about 1000 miles on it. Brand new, then 420-430 miles at Miller in half-hour sessions, the rest at Fernley in 20-30 minute sessions. Works out to 60-70 heat cycles. Soon to be making a sketchy inside pass at a track near you!   ;)

Justin

cool. Michelin 1200's. . . I'm on it.

risinson18

Well what about shinko tires?
they are very good tires and a lot of dragracers swear by them. and the best part is that for the cost of a rear tire of a big name brand tire you can get a set of the Shikos.
check out their site.

http://www.shinkotireusa.com/about.php

the 003 tires would be a good bet as well as the 008's

Yard Sale

How much throttle do the drag racers apply while leaned over? How hard do they trail brake into bumpy corners?

They may be "very good tires" for drag racing, but there is little evidence to support they are worthy of track riding. Get thee to Google.

trent

Quote from: risinson18 on April 27, 2009, 04:14:42 PM
Well what about shinko tires?
they are very good tires and a lot of dragracers swear by them. and the best part is that for the cost of a rear tire of a big name brand tire you can get a set of the Shikos.
check out their site.

http://www.shinkotireusa.com/about.php

the 003 tires would be a good bet as well as the 008's

Ive read reviews on the Shinko slicks as I was going to purchase a set because the price is right. The reviews are NOT GOOD. They are hard even in the soft compound. A lot of the super moto guys said they have crashed because of these tires. I decided not to buy them..
There is absolutely no good excuse for what Im about to do !

Yard Sale

I finally retired my front Michelin S1246A slick from my GSX-R600. Brand new before Miller last year, rode there and Fernley. Seen 104 F ambient temperature maximum, 29 F minimum, while out on the track, and ridden in light rain on a damp track. Stored for six months. Never used with a tire warmer or cover.

1,621 miles
12 days
84 sessions (heat cycles)

The wear dimples are only half worn but it developed a gutter near its edges.

Amortized over the life of the tire, the $180 or so it will cost you from SPL is peanuts.