Main Menu

Track day tire usage

Started by Justin, March 08, 2009, 10:41:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin

I was online and noticed a few 'track tire specials'
"two rears and a front"
Is anyone switching out the front with every other rear swap?

I toss them both and start fresh. . .
curious if you do the same.

Justin

phdean

On my RC I could have probably gotten 1 front to every two rear but always changed them in pairs just be safe. It always made sense to me that tires were alot cheaper than new bodywork and or parts.

Yard Sale

That's part of the Great Tire Conspiracy.

- sell you warmers and a generator because of "cold tires" and "heat cycling"
- sell you more tires before your current  tires are worn, because of "heat cycling"
- sell you a pair of tires because "they should be replaced as a set"

Horse droppings! Cow flop!

Replace a tire when it is worn out or when it loses grip.

My 600 still has the same front I put on it before Miller and it has many, many days left in it. I'll probably go 3:1 for a ratio of rears to fronts.

Here's a tip: Get a Michelin S1246A front and you'll need 1-2 per year and you'll probably think it's the best tire you've ever ridden on.

phdean

Well there ya go. That should put an end to the questions about tires!

JeffW

I agree with what others have said. I go through 2 or 3 rears for each front. I'm running Dunlop GP-A tires on a 2001 Honda 600. I usually replace the front when I feel "guilty" about keeping it on there so long. I usually replace it after about 10 trackdays.

Yard Sale

QuoteI usually replace the front when I feel "guilty" about keeping it on there so long. I usually replace it after about 10 trackdays.
Heretic! You probably don't even have tire warmers, do you?

knucklehead

When in doubt....

Adiggity

Quote from: Justino on March 08, 2009, 10:41:44 PM
I was online and noticed a few 'track tire specials'
"two rears and a front"
Is anyone switching out the front with every other rear swap?

I toss them both and start fresh. . .
curious if you do the same.

Justin
I am part of the deaf, dumb and gullible crowd that replaces both front and rear at the same time. Oh, and I even have tire warmers! I must be REALLY stupid!  :D

repsol71

I also replace both at every interval, usually 2-3k miles and they are cheater slicks at that point, but I agree with the statement, when they are worn out and lose grip, CHANGE them..
I am always ready to rip!!!

Yard Sale

QuoteI must be REALLY stupid!
or really fast

Hopefully you give your fronts to those poor, less fortunate souls who wait every third rear to replace the front.

Justin

The no nonsense 'straight talk' is much appreciated. Thanks everyone

Adiggity

Quote from: Yard Sale on March 11, 2009, 08:33:31 PM
Hopefully you give your fronts to those poor, less fortunate souls who wait every third rear to replace the front.
I actually usually sell them as a set of good take offs. I have been known to give them away at times though.

MotoPutz

Quote from: Adiggity on March 12, 2009, 09:05:37 AM
I actually usually sell them as a set of good take offs. I have been known to give them away at times though.

Wouldn't hurt my feelings to pick up some of those, I'm too broke to buy new tires...

Yard Sale

QuoteI actually usually sell them as a set of good take offs.
My point exactly. You are replacing good tires. They are still good for trackday riders who aren't in danger of coming close to record lap times.

Adiggity

Quote from: Yard Sale on March 12, 2009, 10:08:30 AM
My point exactly. You are replacing good tires. They are still good for trackday riders who aren't in danger of coming close to record lap times.
Point taken. I was just being a smart ass. It's the way I am, just hard to express through a forum sometimes I guess. No need to defend yourself. Don't mind me.