Main Menu

Honoring those who got us into MOTORCYCLES (for Hog-Honey)

Started by Justin, January 11, 2009, 12:55:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D1NO

Our sincere condolences Sharon. Our thoughts are with you and your family...

Hog Honey

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR SUPPORT AND STORIES.
I just got back last night from New Orleans and to come home and find such wonderful stories and support is amazing. This will be a tough road to ride but having friends like all of you will smooth out some of the bumps.
I will be back on this thread to share a story as soon as I can. Right now, well its just hard  :'(

I hope you don't mind me sending this link to my brother so he can also share in the comfort I find here.

THANK YOU ALL ONCE AGAIN, and keep the stories coming! Hog-Honey

Hog Honey

One of the best memories I have is my dad teaching me to ride our Honda 150 (I think) dirt bike. He took us out to the alley behind the house, got the bike out, showed us each how to turn the gas on, and start it. He then showed us the front brake and the throttle, the two items we needed to know about. One at a time we got to give it a try, now this was back in the days of no helmets, or much else for that matter. We did have to wear long pants and tennies though. Well it seemed to take forever for me to get my turn, I am sure it was only a matter of minutes.

I mounted the bike, I thought to myself, at least I can touch the ground, got it started, so that was another point in my favor. I slowly twisted the throttle and released the front brake ...................... oh hell ............. was my next thought! As I started moving and getting scared the harder I twisted the throttle. Next thing I knew, the front tire was off the ground and the bike went VERTICAL   :o

Well I will be damn if I was going to be the first one to fall and hurt that bike, so like an idiot "I HUNG ON FOR DEAR LIFE" ..... :o :o...... so as you may guess, the more I hung on, the more the throttle turned! At some point, I am not even sure how ............ I found myself holding the handle bars tight with both hands and there I was RUNNING BEHIND THE BIKE as it roared down the alley. I do recall some laughter from my dad at first while I was still on the seat of the bike. Once I was BEHIND the bike running to keep up with it all I heard was him yelling at me to LET GO, LET GO OF THE THROTTLE AND THE BIKE WILL STOP.

I can't remember how long it took me to let go, it seemed like an eternity at the time. So at some point I must have let go, but I just don't remember. I know my dad was smiling and laughing at me when I made my way back to the garage (walking next to the now stalled bike) where my brother and sister were waiting, I am pretty sure they were all laughing at me then  ;D. My dad put me right back on that bike and told me to ride it, and off I went! It took me until my 50's to get my own bike, a nice little tricked out Sportster 1200 Low.

Little did I know; that my dad was so proud of me for getting a bike, so much that it seems he talked to his nurses from Hospice and told them all about me and my bike. Going to the service in Louisiana on Friday I was able to meet his Hospice nurse and the first thing she ask was if I was the one with the New Harley? That one question alone made my heart smile knowing that dad must have talked about it.

I will take a ride this summer for my dad, and one for my mom! I know they will be there to watch over me and guide me through the twisties. For all of you that still have your parents, please take a moment and let them know you love them! I know its been said time and time again, but trust me, after loosing both my parents and both of my husbands parents in a 2 year period, there is no time like the present to let your loved ones know that you love and appreciate them.

GOOD BUY DADDY, I LOVE YOU. RIDE SAFE ON YOUR FINAL RIDE.

(your Little Miss In-Between)

HOG-HONEY

Adiggity

Cool story.  :D  Thanks for sharing. I'm glad you found some comfort from this thread. Keep your head up girl.

Justin

Quote from: Hog Honey on January 18, 2009, 07:00:04 PM

Little did I know; that my dad was so proud of me for getting a bike, so much that it seems he talked to his nurses from Hospice and told them all about me and my bike. Going to the service in Louisiana on Friday I was able to meet his Hospice nurse and the first thing she ask was if I was the one with the New Harley? That one question alone made my heart smile knowing that dad must have talked about it.
This is my favorite part.
ps. I agree with Adiggity (4x)