Main Menu

Roll call for Auburn area casual, sniffing the flowers "C" pace ride

Started by GreenMachine, January 24, 2015, 08:35:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

RSVP so we know who to expect and whether we need to stick to the schedule are we can deviate.  If you don't RSVP, the ride may be canceled or the ride leader may not stop at the morning meet-up location.

10:00 AM North Route.  Meet at *bucks.

Oh yeah, I'm going there.  Don't expect excitement on this ride.  I did this last weekend too.  California is greening up and it's wonderful just to take it all in.  And yes, the cars will probably want to pass me and will, as I had happen to me last weekend.

So if you're a C pace rider who can ride at least the speed limit, which will be 35, 45, 55, and 65 for cars, I think you're going to enjoy this one.  Bring a camera.  We can stop along the way for photo ops.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

RichVee4

I drove over 80 today to Sacto and was beautiful in the foothills, quite a few bikes out and about.  I've driven over 80  three times in the last week so taking Sunday off.   Hit fog starting in Auburn on way down about 9am and Sacto was pretty fogged in to mid day.  Temps in Colfax on return this afternoon, 78!!  I like the idea of C pace outings.
Live long and prosper \V/

GreenMachine

Wow, 78°?  That's much higher than forecast and I'll take it!  If Spring comes in January, then I'm riding in January. 

Charging my camera batteries for the big day.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

GreenMachine

GreenMachine

True to form, the only people that I felt like passing today were dummies on the freeway.  :|)  It was even warmer than last weekend.  It's so warm up top, it reminded me of January in So. Cal, when I lived there.  Boreal's parking lot was nearly empty when I went by there about 11 AM.  Some diehard skiers no doubt.  Or people with season passes trying to get what's left of the snow for the season.  Spring-like conditions for that, for sure. 

I made a loop out to Wentworth Springs, which is open all the way through, but there are still slushy sections in the shadows up at the very top, so not spirted pace level yet.  Just the 2 or 3 miles of the summit area really, the rest is clear and clean.  The forest is mostly there still too, around WWS road anyway.  The fire crossed over between Stumpy Meadows Reservoir and UTC going northeast.  The entire canyon going all the way back to MRR and French Meadows it singed black to desert form.  Just bare hills with black leafless trees.  Everywhere else though is mostly untouched.  And the road itself doesn't look like it took any heat.

GreenMachine

I should mention too that 11 Pines road at WWS is closed to the public, it says.  I think they're going to lumber all the burned wood out and may not want us on that road for some time.  There's already a swath next to WWS they've felled that's ready for pickup.