Main Menu

Geiger Grade Crash!

Started by Mel, January 19, 2015, 06:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mel

Hey guys, 2 bikes down one dead up on Geiger this evening😞 Hope it's not anyone here on SSA!

288RR

Well that is bad too hear that news. 

flamecrow

Mel

There will be a report from the scene on channel 2 news tonight at 11:00pm.

GreenMachine

Wouldn't think it would be anyone from SSA, simply because it would be out of character with most of our rider's riding window; most ride weekends.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

GreenMachine

KTVN says that two motorcycles collided:

The Nevada Highway Patrol says one person has died and another is hospitalized after their motorcycles collided on Geiger Grade.

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

GreenMachine

I answered my own question.  It's taken from the lookout, facing north. 

Can rule out dirty conditions, because it's clean.

wills

This seems to be a common scenario "motorcycles collide" which means someone was on the wrong side. My friend who owns the VC Jerkey Co saw the same thing last year at the bottom. Some just should not be on this road if they can't stay on their side.
Stop Global Whining!
2015 1200RS
2018 H2 SE
Old Sprint Back East

Mel

Saw in the news cast that it was a Harley and touring bike that collided when one or the other crossed over the centerline into the other lane. The odds are astronomical that they just happened to be passing at the same time when one drifted over the centerline, it was almost a sure thing that the one that crossed over did so because of target fixation, the most common novice mistake.

GreenMachine

Someone had commented on KOLO that about an hour earlier they had seen a HD with two on board that was weaving dangerously in and out of traffic on Pyramid hwy, like the rider was riding angry.  I don't think there was a passenger involved in this particular incident, so probably coincidence.  However, Smurf rides that road on his BMW.  I really hope that wasn't him.

The more I hear about the circumstances, the more I think of some of the few faster HD guys.  I don't think it would have been one of them, but rather, someone who was perhaps biting off more than they could chew trying to emulate them.  That's conjecture on my part, or course.  But HD's have very little ground clearance and there's every indication that the collision occurred in a corner.  I'm picturing an HD being the one going westbound, has something that tri-pods the wheels either causing a low-side or a major correction & cross-over and the touring bike in the wrong place at the wrong time.

:terrified :ohno

GreenMachine

Quote from: wills on January 20, 2015, 07:19:37 AM
This seems to be a common scenario "motorcycles collide" which means someone was on the wrong side. My friend who owns the VC Jerkey Co saw the same thing last year at the bottom. Some just should not be on this road if they can't stay on their side.
It reminds me of another incident I heard about many years back through a business acquaintance.  I suppose the only oddity is the frequency of MC & MC incidences as opposed to what you'd think would be the more common MC & vehicle incidences.

GreenMachine

Only a little more info, but no names given for the rider hospitalized or the one who was killed.

Gibson (NHP) said two motorcycles were driving in opposite directions when one crossed the center line and collided with the other.

GreenMachine

My assumptions may be partially correct.   ???

The 2014 HD was minding his own business riding downhill safely, while the 2003 HD rider going uphill was the one who crossed over the line.  That 2003 HD rider, who died, was not publically identified, but the (apparently) innocent 2014 HD rider who was careflighted to the hospital was.

----------------------------------------------------------
The accident occurred about 4:15pm when two motorcycles collided south of Loftis Dr.

An investigation by the Nevada Highway Patrol indicates that one of the motorcycles, a 2003 Harley Davidson was heading southbound when it crossed the center line and collided with a 2014 Harley Davidson that was traveling north.

The northbound motorcycle was operated by 35-year Jerald Allen Bailey. Bailey was taken by ambulance to Renown Regional Medical Center with non-life threatening injuries.

The operator of the 2003 Harley Davidson was taken to Renown by Care Flight and was pronounced dead. The cause of the accident remains investigation.  - KOLOTV.com

VIRGINIA CITY, Nev. (MyNews4.com & KRNV) -- Nevada Highway Patrol officials have identified the man who survived Monday's motorcycle crash on Geiger Grade.

NHP officials say a 35-year-old Reno resident (who's name is being withheld until next of kin has been notified) -- was traveling southbound on SR-341, crossed the center lane line and collided with a 2014 black Harley Davidson motorcycle traveling north. The Harley was ridden by 35-year-old Reno resident Jerald Allen Bailey. Each rider was thrown from their bikes.

The unidentified victim was transported by Care Flight to Renown Regional Medical Center and was later pronounced dead. Bailey was also transported to Renown by ground ambulance for non-life threatening injuries.

One motorcycle came to rest in the northbound travel lane and the other on the eastside dirt shoulder. NHP officials say the determining factors that caused the crash are unclear at this time. The investigation is still ongoing. The area of SR341 has one lane in each direction and is a 45 mph speed zone and there is no roadway lighting.

Trooper Doug Hildebrand of the Nevada Highway Patrol's Multi-Disciplinary Investigation and Reconstruction Team (MIRT) is investigating this incident. Those who may have witnessed this incident or who may have information related to this incident are encouraged to call (775) 689-4623 or email dhildebrand@dps.state.nv.us regarding case number NHP-150101437.

VIRGINIA CITY, Nev. (MyNews4.com & KRNV) -- A motorcycle collision on SR-341 has left one rider dead.

According to the Nevada Highway Patrol, a motorcycle traveling up the hill on Geiger Grade towards Virginia City veered out of the lane and struck a motorcyclist traveling downhill. The unidentified driver of the motorcycle traveling uphill was pronounced dead at the scene.

NHP Trooper Karen Garretson said this time of year as an especially dangerous one on that road. "We have a lot of tourists in town for the holiday season just always take it easy because there's a lot of turns and curvatures on this road and if you're not familiar with it, then just take it slow."

We are told the driver of the other motorcycle involved in the crash was up and walking around after the incident. That person was transported to Renown with minor injures to their leg and is expected to be fine.

Sub-Sonic

Quote from: GreenMachine on January 20, 2015, 01:35:24 PM
My assumptions may be partially correct.   ???

The 2014 HD was minding his own business riding downhill safely, while the 2003 HD rider going uphill was the one who crossed over the line.  That 2003 HD rider, who died, was not publically identified, but the (apparently) innocent 2014 HD rider who was careflighted to the hospital was.

The accident occurred about 4:15pm when two motorcycles collided south of Loftis Dr.

An investigation by the Nevada Highway Patrol indicates that one of the motorcycles, a 2003 Harley Davidson was heading southbound when it crossed the center line and collided with a 2014 Harley Davidson that was traveling north.

The northbound motorcycle was operated by 35-year Jerald Allen Bailey. Bailey was taken by ambulance to Renown Regional Medical Center with non-life threatening injuries.

The operator of the 2003 Harley Davidson was taken to Renown by Care Flight and was pronounced dead. The cause of the accident remains investigation.  - KOLOTV.com

VIRGINIA CITY, Nev. (MyNews4.com & KRNV) -- Nevada Highway Patrol officials have identified the man who survived Monday's motorcycle crash on Geiger Grade.

NHP officials say a 35-year-old Reno resident (who's name is being withheld until next of kin has been notified) -- was traveling southbound on SR-341, crossed the center lane line and collided with a 2014 black Harley Davidson motorcycle traveling north. The Harley was ridden by 35-year-old Reno resident Jerald Allen Bailey. Each rider was thrown from their bikes.

The unidentified victim was transported by Care Flight to Renown Regional Medical Center and was later pronounced dead. Bailey was also transported to Renown by ground ambulance for non-life threatening injuries.

One motorcycle came to rest in the northbound travel lane and the other on the eastside dirt shoulder. NHP officials say the determining factors that caused the crash are unclear at this time. The investigation is still ongoing. The area of SR341 has one lane in each direction and is a 45 mph speed zone and there is no roadway lighting.

Trooper Doug Hildebrand of the Nevada Highway Patrol's Multi-Disciplinary Investigation and Reconstruction Team (MIRT) is investigating this incident. Those who may have witnessed this incident or who may have information related to this incident are encouraged to call (775) 689-4623 or email dhildebrand@dps.state.nv.us regarding case number NHP-150101437.

VIRGINIA CITY, Nev. (MyNews4.com & KRNV) -- A motorcycle collision on SR-341 has left one rider dead.

According to the Nevada Highway Patrol, a motorcycle traveling up the hill on Geiger Grade towards Virginia City veered out of the lane and struck a motorcyclist traveling downhill. The unidentified driver of the motorcycle traveling uphill was pronounced dead at the scene.

NHP Trooper Karen Garretson said this time of year as an especially dangerous one on that road. "We have a lot of tourists in town for the holiday season just always take it easy because there's a lot of turns and curvatures on this road and if you're not familiar with it, then just take it slow."

We are told the driver of the other motorcycle involved in the crash was up and walking around after the incident. That person was transported to Renown with minor injures to their leg and is expected to be fine.

Can anyone tell which bike is which by the photos? (2003/2014) The 'big' one has the low 'floorboard' that would bottom out with minimal lean angle.

Also, naïve comment by the cop.  Both of those guys are from Reno, so they weren't tourists unfamiliar with the road.  How about something applicable, like if you have a big heavy bike that can't corner, stay off this road.

RichVee4

This story caught my eye on the news also, early in the year for a MC fatality.    This is at least the third incident on Geiger (that I know of) of a HD not able to maintain his/her lane resulting in a head on with another cyclist.   I am starting to think HD riders pose more risk of crossing the yellow line than cars.  
Live long and prosper \V/