Main Menu

winter activities

Started by RichVee4, January 09, 2015, 06:29:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichVee4

Here's a off season idea!!  Snowmobiles have come a long way since I was a kid!  Came across this is CL ad, could be yours for only $5825.  Looks like some serious fun!

Live long and prosper \V/

RichVee4

This is more like what I rode in the 80's at Tahoe.   A buddy of mine had a couple snowmobiles and we would rip around the neighborhood and back woods.   Even rode to HS in the winter a couple times.

GreenMachine

I have a buddy who has five of them down by Mammoth.  We rode for several years straight, but the last three years have been a bust.  His are all carbureted, so not sure the status of how old the fuel is in those things.  But he threatens me every Fall that this may be the year we could go riding again.

Here's to hoping we get some of that eastern weather still to come this Winter.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

Sub-Sonic

Quote from: RichVee4 on January 09, 2015, 06:29:52 PM
Here's a off season idea!!  Snowmobiles have come a long way since I was a kid!  Came across this is CL ad, could be yours for only $5825.  Looks like some serious fun!

Arctic Cat M8 set up for hill climbing.

Sledding is one of the things I enjoy in winter and one of the reasons I moved out here.  Didn't have time to get set-up this winter with a sled and trailer, hopefully by next winter.

RichVee4

I've rented snowmobiles a couple times in past years, fun, but a couple hrs doesn't quite satisfy the desire. Plus your limited where you can go.    There are lots of great places to explore in this area. One of my top picks would be Jackson Meadows, N of Truckee.  Its a fun road to ride in the summer and they don't plow it in the winter so good snowmobile area.  Mt Rose area is a popular spot, but we drove through there over Christmas break and it was a ZOO, never seen it so busy.

dub

I have friends up in South Lake that have snowmobiles. They spend all thier time sitting in the backyard under covers, or in a garage if they are lucky. I thought about getting a snowmobile a few years ago. Then I made a list:

Pros:
They are fun to ride.

Cons:
They are expensive.
They are heavy.
They are huge and take up a ton of space to store.
They are difficult to transport.
YOU NEED SNOW TO USE IT.

I got a dirt bike instead. No regrets.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

RichVee4

Just like a boat, its cheaper to know someone that has one than buy your own.   

Mel

It's even cheaper yet to use your own two feet :)!

RichVee4

Nice pic Mel.  Looks like an overnight trip.  Either that or you carry a lot a stuff for a day hike  :)   Backpacking is a close second to motorcycling for my favorite activity once summer comes around.  Nothing like getting off the grid and enjoying the beautiful country we live in.

My son and I on Boundary Peak last summer, tallest Mtn in NV. I hiked 4 mtns last summer.

RichVee4

I check some web cams at Tahoe from time to time and this view from Diamond Peak really got me thinking about skiing.  Even if you are not a skier you'll appreciate this shot.  I haven't skied for a couple years now, but have skied most of my life both cross country and downhill.  Tried snowboarding once and that was enough for me.   

Skiing has gotten expensive so I am more selective when I go.  Still waiting for good packed powder and no crowds. 

GreenMachine

This weekend is forecast to be near record highs and lows, almost 70° in the Central Valley.  Overnight temps are still around 10 - 15 degrees above normal, a big reason there's little to no snow anywhere.  I may break the road bike out for a trip to soak some of those rays up. :evil1  This could be the earliest I've ever ridden over Donner Summit, in the magnitude of months.  It used to be unthinkable to attempt going anywhere near there in the middle of January.  Now it almost seems ridiculous not to take advantage of our Spring-like weather.

Days are getting warmer and longer already.  I don't see any reason to ski or do anything winter related.  It feels like Spring, not Winter. 

I may have to add a couple months worth of rides to the 2015 SSA ride calendar.  How inventive can I be???
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

GreenMachine

Nice forethought Rich!

Mel, are you planning on hiking in just boots or were there snowshoes strapped on?

RichVee4

I am getting a little worried about this winter also,  the prerequisite for winter activities is WINTER.  Feb can be a good snow month but I agree it certainly doesn't feel like winter at this point.   If it keeps this up the SSA calendar will be 12 months long!!

RichVee4

Proof there is some snow on Mt Rose.  This is from Gregs hike last weekend on Mt Rose.   Told him snowshoes would be a good idea, but teen age boys know everything so went without.  He made it to the top but took a lot of effort.

GreenMachine

What?  Obviously you've never heard of reverse psychology. 

When it comes to teens, you have to out-think them if you want them to see their 18th birthday.