Main Menu

Phone List?

Started by Mel, December 18, 2014, 11:12:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mel

Hey guys,

I think we need a phone list for the members that would like to be able to contact other members or be contacted themselves through texting or phone calls...strictly voluntary of course 8). I'll start off with mine and if others add theirs, maybe GM could then make a phone list link with all the numbers.

Mel 831-566-2337 cell

GreenMachine

Bad idea and I don't recommend others do so here either.

This is the Internet after all; used by the few and hacked by the many.   SSA is constantly being scanned and data mined.  You might as well post your celebrity cellphone nudy-cuties.  Because as soon as you post something on here, in our open areas, it's harvested.  

U.S. CONNECTS NORTH KOREA TO CYBER ATTACKS

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

dub

The North Koreans have just been waiting to get Mel's cell phone number. It's the lynch pin of their plan for world domination.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

GreenMachine

Funny, but not helpful.

Our site is accessible on the "Internet," a globally accessible Web site, so North Korea is but one of hundreds of countries that could be interested in Mel's and other members personal information, including all the information in that member's public profile.

For instance, right now there are seven scans going on from Tokyo Japan, one from Paris and one from Kiev.  I don't think they're on here to sign up for TB5's Sunday ride, but that's just a guess.  :|)

I recommend this thread for more information: YOUR ONLINE PRIVACY and account related settings

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

dub

Mel has posted his phone number (cell and home) on this forum 3 times prior to this one, as far back as August of 2012.

Mel, tell us about how your life has been ruined by exposing your phone number on the internet? Is it non-stop telemarketing calls and texts? How many times has your identity been stolen? Are you getting scam phone calls from Japan, France, and Ukraine? What other ill fate has befallen you?

I used to have my phone number visible on my FB profile. I got a few spam text messages so I took it down and they stopped. It wasn't the end of the world.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

Mel

I worked for a company for 12 1/2 years until July of this year designing military backpacks and equipment. I was also head of sales for the tactical division which I helped create and I had my number posted on the website, message board, and Facebook all those years so guys could reach me 24/7. In all those years, I've never had any spam,  virtually no telemarketing calls to speak of, and no scam phone calls from other countries. All my calls were from customers, future customers, or guys that just wanted info on our gear. I have posted my phone number numerous times on FB and most forums I have been on with no problems. I'm not saying it is not possible, but I'm the kind of guy that worries about NOTHING!

I raced dirttrack back in the old days when you were bumping and banging through the corners. I volunteered for Vietnam, hitch hiked around the country after getting out of the military, was a chokersetter in a logging crew for 6 years, was head of security for 17 years at Margaritaville, and was bat shit crazy in the twisties back in the day and still can be when the mood arises.

I never worried about getting hurt racing, getting shot or blown up in Vietnam, getting beat up or raped hitchhiking :), having a tree fall on me logging, getting stabbed or shot in a fight at Margaritaville, and never worried about a deer jumping out in front of me or is there gravel in the next corner when riding at a spirited pace for the last 5 decades on a motorcycle. Did I happen to mention I don't worry about things that may happen :) :) :)!!

Mel

GreenMachine

Okay, I see how passionate you two are about having your personal information posted on the Internet.  I can appreciate that.  It's probably why Fb is so popular with most people, while that whole trend escapes me.  And why I don't like the fact that my sisters posted our family tree on Fb some years back.  Too late to put the manure back into the horse after that, but that's their prerogative.  I just wished they would have exercised better discretion in making public, information that is private.  There are ways to do that without infringing on other people's (read my) right to privacy.

Don't know if it's a coincidence or not, but since that time, I now receive postal mail solicitations for all my family members at my house.  Granted, I'm the only one of me on the planet with my name, my last name isn't common at all, it's kind of an isolated family tree and yet, here I am getting solicitations for family members, some of whom are deceased.  I could do without all that unnecessary bullsh*t.  And that's just the postal mail.  I won't even go into all the SPAM/Phishing E-mail getting filtered into my junk mail folder.  I don't have the resources to even set foot into that area looking for stuff that is actually legitimate mail intended for me.

All I'm saying is, there are better ways to post such information.  I could have moved this thread to a less public area of the forum, taking the initiative to place some discretion on who could readily view such information, the ~3 billion Internet users/servers who have no business knowing that information or the SSA members who actually might have some use for such information, but so long as the SSA ToS aren't violated, I'm not going to make that determination for you.  I'll just express in the most thoughtful language I can, that there are dangers to doing so, much like someone saying don't eat lead paint chips.  You could say that eating those chips as a child didn't affect you at all, but it's still probably a bad idea and I'd want to make others aware of that.

So having a central SSA phone list, while seemingly a good idea on the surface, IMO having it posted publicly is a bad idea.  I prefer the discrete way of posting any such private information in a more private area of the forum, where SSA members will have no less access to that private information.  That, to me, just sounds like the wise thing to do.  That's how I would do it, if I were threading such a phone list.  ;)