Main Menu

The Little Dragon, Hwy 49

Started by NevadaWolf, September 28, 2014, 04:21:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NevadaWolf

Has anyone here ridden the section of Hwy 49 between Coulterville and Bear Valley?

Here's some pics from my ride yesterday.

Here's more if curious: https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?p=928123#post928123

RichVee4

Wow, we just missed each other.  Monica and I rode 49 South from 80 to Oakhurst on Friday for a Yosemite ride Sat .   I was most impressed with the non existent traffic.  After following slow traffic most of 49 I was surprised to find such a nice mc road in CA with no traffic.   By the time we got there we were a bit tired to fully enjoy it but it was a highlight.   Sort of surprised there were so many 15-25MPH corners with no signage or guard rails. 

Nice pics.  I know exactly where you took the second pic.  We pulled off there to read the plaque and noted the view of the road up the canyon.

Live long and prosper \V/

NevadaWolf

Hahaha that's cool.

We would have been easy to spot. Group of five white and green Ninja 250's and 300's.

We were up at the top overlook at noon and I know we got into Yosemite around 3 for lunch, and left just as the sky opened up.

I think once all the traffic reached Moccasin they turned and followed 120 into the Park. It was great having so little traffic going on that road!

GreenMachine

I've done that road and the one that leads up to it out of La Grange more time that I can remember, but I never cared much for the 49 section.  It's far too tight for my present bike, which I've ridden on that stretch, but more suited for my 70's 400cc.  I'd think the 250's and 300's had a blast.  There's a cool sweeping stretch that goes in a similar direction east of Snelling (Hornitos & Old Toll Road), just before McSwain Reservoir.  Also fun for blasting slow vehicles on and somewhat scenic. 

La Grange has an uptight Sheriff who polices that section religiously.  And both sections occasionally have cows that make their way out onto the road.   There have been a couple of resulting MC fatalities that I know of.   And now that I recognize the conditions ripe for why cows park themselves on roads, I know to scale back my pace if I cannot see up ahead a fair distance.  There are several blind rises on these roads too, which didn't help those riders any in avoiding the livestock.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

Sub-Sonic

Quote from: NevadaWolf on September 28, 2014, 04:21:30 PM
Has anyone here ridden the section of Hwy 49 between Coulterville and Bear Valley?

Yep, been there once or twice..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imy6NrWq314

flamecrow