Main Menu
  • Welcome to SSA Sierra Sportbike Association | Reno Nevada Motorcycle Trackday Weekend Riding Club.

King Fire

Started by NevadaWolf, September 18, 2014, 10:28:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NevadaWolf

Are you guys watching the spread of the fire?

Looking at InciWeb's map, last night's 10 mile run sent the fie straight towards the area between Hellhole and French Meadows Reservoirs and covered a lot of 11 Pines Road and some of Wentworth Springs Road.

http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/4108/#

I really hope the firefighters continue to save the houses up there and no one is injured or killed while fighting this beast.

But man, glad I managed to get up there and ride the area a few times this year while it was green.

dub

It's a pretty bad one. It tripled in total size under unfavorable conditions just last night.

Here's another site to get updates, blog style. http://yubanet.com/nevada/King.php

The landscape is gonna look a bit different up there for our Ice House/WWS rides for the next few years.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

NevadaWolf

SacBee has an article reporting there's been an arrest, for arson!

dub

Quote from: NevadaWolf on September 18, 2014, 12:16:14 PM
SacBee has an article reporting there's been an arrest, for arson!

If that guy is guilty I think they should take him up in a helicopter and just drop him right down into the fire.

Mel

I agree Dub! What sucks is that shitbag is from my neck of the woods back on the coast >:(!

Mel

GreenMachine

That caught up to that guy fast! 

He's a convicted felon too.  In Santa Cruz County he has been convicted of assault with a deadly weapon and in Plumas County on property theft charges.

I'm sure at one time somebody thought he was a beautify baby, so he's got that going for him, which is nice.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

RichVee4

Thanks for the link showing fire location.  Amazing how much its grown in the last few days.  This will be going for awhile.  Impossible to make a perimeter in that terrain and these conditions.   

NW Reno has been smoked in most of the week,  Bikes are slowly being cover with ash in the garage.    Cant fathom why someone would do this intentionally. 
Live long and prosper \V/

flamecrow

agreed, it's horrible out there and the wind is brining it closer and closer towards us

dub

If it reaches the wester edge of desolation wilderness it will run out of fuel.

NevadaWolf

Finally found the map I had been looking for! The GeoMAC viewer shows the MODIS Thermal Satellite data layers for the portions of a fire that are actively burning, were burning within the last 12 hours, and were burning within the last 24 hours.

I like it as it allows for zooming in on an area without losing the resolution and you can view it with a topographic background to see why the perimeter is the way it is.

http://www.geomac.gov/viewer/viewer.shtml

GreenMachine

Is it me or does the perception appear that the file has slowed quite a bit?  One thing for sure, it's still smoking up a storm.  * cough * cough *
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

GreenMachine

A visual. 

You can see it burned right through the WWS section.  Icehouse appears to be untouched, so far.

NevadaWolf

I think it did slow down a bit with the decrease in winds and temps and the increase in humidity over the weekend. But there is a Red Flag Warning for this afternoon through tomorrow evening, bringing with it increased west-southwest winds and lower humidity. Last night's smoke in Carson and Dayton was nasty!

The good news is the containment nearly doubled over night from 18% to 35%. Go fire fighters!!