Main Menu

Best Biking Roads

Started by Mel, August 19, 2014, 11:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mel

Hey guys,

I thought some of you would enjoy this link showing roads to ride all over the country, especially the ones over the border in California.

http://www.bestbikingroads.com/motorcycle-roads/motorbike-rides-in-united-states-/California_-670.html

Mel

dub

I see a bunch they missed. Kingsbury, La Porte, Ice House, WWS, Truck Route/Geiger just to name the first few I noticed.

I wont be sending in a correction.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

Mel

I'm sure they can't possible get all the roads, and from what I can figure out after looking at the site closer, it's individual riders that post up the roads/routes. So you guys on here can post up your favorite Nevada/California road that hasn't been posted yet to make the site even more complete!

Mel

GreenMachine

The best road in Cali I can think of, is Mulholland drive down south.  That and Hwy 299 up north.  Oh and Interstate I-80 from Reno to Sacramento.  All great roads, but not necessarily in that order.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

GreenMachine

:rotflmao   Highway 20 is listed as excellent?  Is that a joke?  Oh yeah, that long straight going from Yuba City west is freakin awesome!  That's got my vote.  :evil1
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

Mel

GM, I'd rate Iowa Hill as excellent and that ain't no joke baby :)! What's that they say, one man's pleasure is another man's pain LOL!

GM, you have to look at it in context. I don't think he was talking about Hwy 20 from Yuba City to 5. That's just like saying I like Hwy 50 (through the mountains from Sac to Tahoe), but someone says "Is that a joke? Oh yeah, that stretch through Kansas is awesome" LOL!!!

Mel

GreenMachine

:evil1  You should list it on there as excellent.  There's truth to that, in that you believe it.  Make sure when you do, that you say that it's most fun going north and not really that fun going south.

I get the distinct impression though that this map is more for the Goldwing & HD guys.  Sure would thin the herd, but mess up the hillside.  

E18 Near New Melones too.  Give me a break, that road is terrible!  Potholed, uneven, narrow, 35 MPH max speed (if I remember correctly) and tons of local traffic.  I give it a 2 out of 10: avoid if at all possible.

Hwy 36 is suppose to be nationally the best of the best.  Not anymore it ain't!  It's past its prime.  SL and I rode it a few weeks ago.  A lot of it is okay, I'll give it that much, but there's one stretch in the middle that is/was terrific and it's all uneven HMA patch now.   Just poor quality repair work.  Until they chip seal or replace it completely, it's not a destination road at all.

example

Mel

That E18 sounds pretty cool, because if you give a goat road a 2, then it's at least an 8 for me :) :)!

Mel

GreenMachine

I don't think you like traffic congestion anymore than the rest of us, but if you want to check out your "8" road, be my guest!

How most of us will read the above: Same as above.

How Mel will read the above: I don't think you like traffic congestion blah blah blah blah. GM doesn't know what he's talking about, this is going to be one road I'm going to have to try!!!

GreenMachine

Quote from: Mel on August 19, 2014, 01:29:36 PM
GM, you have to look at it in context. I don't think he was talking about Hwy 20 from Yuba City to 5....
Mel
Then the map is lying.  That's what's on there, including the stretches of city traffic in YC & Colusa.   I didn't read much of what was written about the roads.   I'll keep this map for potential advisement, but I'll trust Pashnit or some sportbike site's impressions over anything written on here.

p.s. hwy 96 is a red!?  Hwy 3 too?  I have not been on hwy 3 much, except for a short spell that DR and I did on the 96 connector, but between sketchy moss covered roads to rock slivered cliffs, no thanks!  I can get all that on MRR.  Why would I travel an extra 200 miles to cut a tire or slide out?

I-395 from Susanville to Reno is an "excellent" too!   :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao   This just keeps getting better and better.

NevadaWolf

Reminds me of this site:

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/

A start, but could use a lot of TLC to get more roads listed.

flamecrow

lol Susanville to Reno is torture

Mel

Damn GM, I just put this link up so guys could see some roads, but you really got into it ;D! At least I got you posting more LOL!!

Mel