Main Menu

Roll Call - Wentworth Springs/Ice House 06/01

Started by GreenMachine, May 27, 2014, 11:27:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

Post up in you're interested in participating in this epic ride.  

This is a B skill level ride.  Icehouse has unprotected corners with steep drops and some uneven pavement.   There's usually a fair amount of slow camper traffic that refuses to be courteous.  There are passing zones, but pass only when it is safe to do so.  Your ride leader will give you hand signals if it is safe or unsafe to proceed, but you are responsible for your own safety and it is your call to pass safely.

This is a south route ride, taking us through S. Lake Tahoe, down Hwy 50 towards Sacramento.  We'll stop in Fresh Pond at the Chevron to fuel up and freshen up.  Fresh Pond is about 2 miles west of where Icehouse road begins.  In the past, we've had riders who became detached from the ride group and missed Icehouse and missed Fresh Pond.  We always try to keep the group together at a pace that affords us the best gap from slow or fast traffic.  We want to arrive safely.  

Icehouse road is joined by Wentworth Springs road about 10 miles north of hwy 50.  WWS road is an East/West directional road that winds back to Georgetown, which is between Placerville and Cool.  We can lunch there and determine our path home or we can venture off to MRR via 11 pines and lunch in Foresthill.  Both are quaint.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

dub

Quote from: GreenMachine on May 27, 2014, 11:27:55 PMWe'll stop in Fresh Pond at the Chevron to fuel up and freshen up.  Fresh Pond is about 2 miles west of where Icehouse road begins.  In the past, we've had riders who became detached from the ride group and missed Icehouse and missed Fresh Pond.  We always try to keep the group together at a pace that affords us the best gap from slow or fast traffic.  We want to arrive safely.

It's actually 5.4 miles from Ice House to Fresh Pond. That's 10.8 miles out of the way r/t. I believe I've said this before, and I'll say it again here. I think it's dumb to go down to Fresh Pond for gas. It's a waste of time and like you said, has been known to split the group apart in the past. It's easy for the group to get strung out on hwy 50 as some riders make it past cars in the passing zones and others don't; it's happened to us with as little as 3 riders in the group.

Instead, why not stop for a break and fuel at the Silver Fork 76, just 8 miles prior to Ice House, right here?

I guess it's not up to me, I wont be leading the ride. I wont even be on the ride, just my $.02.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

GreenMachine

Never really thought of it that way.  I always thought Fresh Pond was closer.  Oh well.  But that would be a better choice for sure.

We'll see if anyone's interested in going first.  I'd fall out of my chair if ADragon posted about going.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

slmoto

I'm new here and looking forward to meeting some of you and getting a ride in. I'd be interested in this ride if it pans out.

dub

Quote from: slmoto on May 29, 2014, 08:48:53 AM
I'm new here and looking forward to meeting some of you and getting a ride in. I'd be interested in this ride if it pans out.

Right on, it's a good one. WWS is one of the best motorcycle roads that I've ever ridden. Ice House aint bad either.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

Mel

It's hard to pick between Wentworth Springs and Intersate 5, but WWS has just a little tighter turns but not by much :justkidding...kind of :)! Yes the goat road man is back lol!!!

Mel

GreenMachine

Conditions were ideal a couple weeks ago when I was up there.  The thing I noticed the most was all the little pine trees filling the roadway sides, like hall walls. They're getting taller and not so cute.  Good hiding areas for deer and other fauna to spring out into the roadway.

nvgixxer

I'm thinking most guys will be doing the Sierraville/Downieville annual John Petty memorial ride on Sunday. I have other commitments that day so I'm heading for a short jaunt up Monitor way this morning. And an extra thanks to GM for the heads up on the new tar snakes up there; I intend to be extra cautious of road conditions. I always stop for a break in Markleeville and maybe I'll see at least one or two other sport bike types there. It seems to me we're a dying breed, nothing but Harley and touring bikes on the road anymore. I wonder why?   
2015 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2012 Kawasaki ZX14R (sold)
2009 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2007 Suzuki GSXR1000 (totaled)
2005 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2003 Suzuki GSXR1000 (sold)

slmoto

Checking to see if this Wentworth Springs/Ice House ride is going to happen tomorrow 06/01?  If it is I'll be there.

GreenMachine

Quote from: slmoto on May 31, 2014, 10:28:50 AM
Checking to see if this Wentworth Springs/Ice House ride is going to happen tomorrow 06/01?  If it is I'll be there.
Good question SL.  Whomever lists a ride is responsible for for keeping everyone informed as to the status of the ride.  In this case, that person is me. 

For your own knowledge, a ride may be canceled or changed as late as several hours before the ride, but that's usually due to a decision made about weather conditions. Sometimes if there's lack of interest, I'll cancel a ride too, just so there aren't spoiled expectations.  Tomorrow's forecast is supposed to be splendid! 

This ride should not be canceled.   C U in the morning.  We leave at 9:00 AM from the Geiger Grade Maverik Country Store. 

GreenMachine

Quote from: slmoto on May 31, 2014, 10:28:50 AM
That's understandable.  We'll be thinking about you.  Probably talking about you too.   :P

GreenMachine

GreenMachine

Quote from: GreenMachine on May 31, 2014, 09:58:17 PM
...a ride may be canceled or changed as late as several hours before the ride, but that's usually due to a decision made about weather conditions...
Or if I have a case of poison ivy/oak from today.   :o  I don't think so yet.  I'm not itching and I don't have a rash, yet.

GreenMachine

GreenMachine

Got a call from one of the founders.  He and some other riders are doing VC this morning 30 minutes prior to our departure from the same location.  They're going to try to change start points over to ours so we can chit-chat and say high.

Can't wait!!  It's been a long time.