Main Menu

Roll Call Downieville 05/10/14

Started by GreenMachine, April 30, 2014, 04:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

*** THIS RIDE HAS BEEN CANCELED ***

Saturday 05/10/14 SSA Group Ride

To attract as many of you as possible and be respectful to our mothers, we'll start our annual ride season going to Downieville.  I haven't been out that way yet this year, so I have no idea what to expect.

Post up if you plan on attending.  Start time is posted in the group ride schedule, unless otherwise noted.  This is only about a 4 - 5 hour ride back and forth, so brief by our standards.  I plan on leading this one.

All ride skill levels welcome.  We'll probably stop for lunch either in Downieville or Sierra City on the way back for chitchat and BSing.  I always have lots to talk about and it's always a fun ride!

After leaving Reno, well regroup on Sierraville, in case other riders get a late start or want to come in via Chilcoot/Loyalton.

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

dub

I could be a maybe.

Some NSC folks have been out that way already this season. James says 89 to Sierraville has continued to deteriorate; the cracks across the road are getting pretty bad. I wonder if they will seal it this spring? Oh well, that's not the fun part anyway, just a burn up north. He said 49 was in perfect shape, already swept. Gold Lake was still dirty, but will probably be swept my 5/10.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

RichVee4

Count me in,  always enjoy a stroll to Dville.   Wifey might join us also!
Live long and prosper \V/

GreenMachine

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

nvgixxer

Always has been one of my favorite rides! It'd be great to see a good turn out! I'm getting new rear rubber mid week and if weather is accommodating on Saturday, I'll be IN for this one!

Jimbo
2015 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2012 Kawasaki ZX14R (sold)
2009 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2007 Suzuki GSXR1000 (totaled)
2005 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2003 Suzuki GSXR1000 (sold)

dannysdaddy

Wish I could.  Stuck on deployment and wont be back until August....  I'll probably hit all of them from aug on.

GreenMachine

Be safe.  See you when you return!

GreenMachine

72 - 76 degrees forecast.  We'll see. 

I'm hungry already!

RichVee4

I'm looking forward to getting the riding season started.  It will be a tad chilly in the morning going through Truckee but weather looking sunny.   :)

dub

I'm out.

I'm heading down to do an epic Sierra Quad Pass ride with some SCR folks on Saturday instead.

Here's the route: Click for Google Map. Let me know if anyone wants to join; you could stay at my place on Friday night. Meeting the group in El Dorado hills at 730am, KSU from South Lake at 6am.

GreenMachine

I don't have to tell you to be careful, but still, be careful.  It just snowed up there so you have to figure some of the roads will be dirty.  

I'm concerned about Yuba Pass on Saturday.  I know exactly where the sand will be hiding at, but others might not.

nvgixxer

Real bummer! The forecast for Sierraville Saturday is rain showers with a HI of only 56. I'll hold off going out with you guys until next week.
  :(
2015 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2012 Kawasaki ZX14R (sold)
2009 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2007 Suzuki GSXR1000 (totaled)
2005 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2003 Suzuki GSXR1000 (sold)

GreenMachine

Good call Jimbo.   I think with the high only being 61 from Reno to Downieville and the threat of rain, plus we just had snow in the upper elevations...Caltrans sanding the roads, I'm going to err or the side of caution and cancel Saturday's ride.

Sorry folks.  There's always next weekend, which looks promising, if not ideal.

RichVee4

Sounds good.  Weather getting worse as we get closer.   Spring in Reno  :(

dub

Interesting. The NWS forecast for all points south where I will be is Sunny and 60-70*.