Main Menu

Superbike Shootout

Started by dub, April 14, 2014, 04:01:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dub

This isn't exactly breaking news, but I don't think there is a thread here about it.

Link to original press release -> Pro Superbikes Return To Sonoma Raceway at SonomaFest

Here is the website for the series -> http://www.superbikeshootout.com/

Flyer for the Sonoma event:

Schedule:

Saturday, May 3rd

7:45   Riders Meeting
8:15   Practice Groups 1-5, (ROUND 1)
9:25   Pro Sportbike practice
9:50   Practice Groups 1-5, (ROUND 2)
10:55   Pro Superbike practice
11:25   Practice Groups 1-5, (ROUND 3)

12:30   Lunch

1:35   Pro Sportbike Qualifying
2:10   Practice Groups 1-5, short sessions (ROUND 4)

3:00   Mark grids, National Anthem

3:10   Formula Pacific
3:40   Afemme/Vintage/300 Prod/F-40 Light
4:05   Pro Superbike Qualifying
4:40   600 Superbike
5:05   F-50/Clubman Heavy/Clubman Middle
5:30 F2/ 650 Twins
6:00   Clubman Light
6:30   Done

Sunday, May 4th

7:45   Riders Meeting
8:00   Practice Groups 1-5
9:00   Pro Sportbike practice
9:15   Pro Superbike practice

9:30   Mark Grids / National Anthem

9:45   F3/450 Superbike/250 Prod
10:05   750 Production
10:30   250 Superbike
10:50   Pro Sportbike Race
Winners Circle
12:00   Lunch

1:10   Open Twins/Open Production
1:30   600 Production
1:50   Open Superbike
2:20   Formula I
2:50   650 Production/500 Twins/Singles
3:15   Pro Superbike Race
Winner's Circle
4:30   750 Superbike
4:50   Open Grand Prix/SuperDino
5:15   F-40 Heavy/F-40 Middle
5:35 F4
6:00   Done
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

GreenMachine

I'd like to go to that.  I always have a great time from the whole weekend of races and experiences.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

dub

GreenMachine

Next weekend.  Already!  Hey, I'm up for it.  Planning on going both days.  Who else?
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

dub

GreenMachine

That's one other person going.  I'll wave to you from the other side of the grandstands.  We'll be the only two there.  :D

BC-2

I went to the first one in SoCal at Autoclub Speedway.  Best Superbike race I've seen in a long time!  Really good turnout as well (spectators).  I wish I could be at Infineon this weekend.

dub

GreenMachine

AWESOME!

The SSA tent is up and the bike action and weather are terrific!  Haven't seen Dub yet, but it's still early.

GreenMachine

Tried to catch the attention of Cameron Barbier for an autograph: failed. Josh Hayes wasn't around at the time, but was on my way back through the paddock.  Both riders seemed very nice.  You can tell Cameron has the fire in his eyes.  Josh, doesn't need that, he has it already, but he's just an all around roll model.

I must have crisscrossed the paddock a good half dozen times and hung out in four different grandstands, but never once bumped into anyone I recognized. 

The event has a very relaxed atmosphere to it.  They really want to encourage the riders to come up through the ranks and fans to come out.  When I arrived this morning at around 8:30 AM, I was the only one at the main gate.  By mid-morning there were probably about 100 fans, which looks like a couple people here and a couple people way over there.  By lunch it was more like 1000 or more.  That's fairly typical I guess.  People don't really care about what goes into the preparation, just the race.

Having a good time so far.  I could just sit in the afternoon breeze and soak up the beauty that is Sonoma.   Green everywhere.  Paradise.

Wheelied something fierce leaving one of the stop lights in Fairfield. I'm sooo immature sometimes.  :-\ :P   True, they make you frustrated, always seeming to catch you just as you get there.  But the intoxicating  power makes up for some of it upon leaving.  Wasn't even the fastest bike on the road.  A HD blew past me on a two-lane when I was miles ahead of the pack.  I don't even know where he came from.

Bed, then up again to do it again for race day!   I may nap up on turn two for a portion tomorrow.  What a great venue!

dub

My put is in the 'main' section of the paddock (not behind the grandstands). Find the Ritz Racing/Texas Tea Oils pit and go down that row.

GreenMachine

Hiding out on the racetrack with your helmet on. Clever!  I may not have time this evening to stop by your pits, but I'll try. Snapped a few picks of U. Hope they turn out.

If i had known U were racing, I would have brought my good camera.

GreenMachine

Pictures unseen in the camera.  I'll post up what I have tonight.

GreenMachine

Pictures to come.  I promise.  Most of them turned out.  Only, my old abused camera kept resetting itself down from SHQ to a lower resolution.  It was making me crazy.  The pictures could have been better, but they're not too bad.

GreenMachine

Saturday morning practice.

One of the cool factors to these scaled down events was seeing some of the cool older bikes coming out.

And the sharp new toys.

Future World Champion Cameron Beaubier

Superbike embassador Josh Hayes.  And announcer we regularly see at Daytona.

A crash in Sunday morning superbike practice.  And a bunch of Dub in his F1 race.  Yes, that's him in 3rd place! 

The fourth place rider tried his best to get him back, but Dub kept him at bay until that rider faded or crashed. 

Going over the curb in turn1 and down the turn 6 carrousel.

Dub coming up the short chute under the walking bridge and up the hill into turn 2.