Main Menu

I was going to post an impromptu ride last night

Started by GreenMachine, October 19, 2013, 09:37:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

But given where I was headed and how cold it gets after the sun goes down (and deer), I decided that gearing up and getting going was a far better use of time.

So instead, I'll talk about the post-ride conditions.  They're actually pretty good still.  We haven't had any precipitation lately, so no sand on the roads.  The route I took was Reno-VC, VC-Mt. Rose, MT. Rose to Kings Beach, over 267 and back on I-80.  About 120 miles.  I was intentionally making gaps (going only fast enough to stay in front of the pack behind me) in the straights, so that I could take the corners at my own pace.  It was probably the most fun I've ever had on Mt. Rose.

Slider tally:
VC, both sides
Mt. Rose, both sides, but not as smooth a blacktop surface as VC

Stopped at the bottom of VC and waited for a clearing.  Was lucky enough to get a really long one where I didn't have to slow down again until the mid-way lookout.  No LEOs out at all.  And I was able to gap traffic from VC back down too.  It was a really awesome ride from that standpoint!  On Mt. Rose, the fun started at the twisties below Reindeer Lodge and went all the way up to the summit.  I've always been caught out by slow traffic, but not last night.  :D  A bit chilly on the shady east slope, but it warmed up nicely once I got back into the sun on the other side.

Winter is just around the corner.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

RocketRider

Cold and dear? I was out on Sonora pass after 9pm friday night and then on it again saturday afternoon/early evening (around 4pm) :2cool
PIN IT TO WIN IT!

Please support my race team Rocket Pace Racing!https://www.facebook.com/RocketPaceRacing
We're accepting everything from Sponsors, to Facebook likes, to simple pats on the back :)

Thank you Apex-Speed and EBC Brakes for supporting our efforts to go faster!

GreenMachine

Quote from: RocketRider on October 20, 2013, 02:20:40 PM
Cold and dear? I was out on Sonora pass after 9pm friday night and then on it again saturday afternoon/early evening (around 4pm) :2cool
Did you ride it or drive it?   :pieface  I wouldn't do Sonora or Ebbetts after dark on a motorcycle even in summer.  I'd have to force myself to wait until a car came along and tail it for protection from deer.

I'll stick with cautious.  It has served me well. 

How's your thumb?

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

RocketRider

I rode it weiner, though VERY slowly. It was FREEZING, lol.

Thumb looks like a thumb :P
PIN IT TO WIN IT!

Please support my race team Rocket Pace Racing!https://www.facebook.com/RocketPaceRacing
We're accepting everything from Sponsors, to Facebook likes, to simple pats on the back :)

Thank you Apex-Speed and EBC Brakes for supporting our efforts to go faster!