Main Menu

Roll Call - Sat. 08/31/13 La Porte AM ride

Started by GreenMachine, August 26, 2013, 08:23:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

If you plan on attending, this is the thread.

Wentworth Springs & Ice house were scheduled, but venturing into a fire zone is a terrible idea.  Let the fireman and crews do their duty without weekend pleasure riders interfering. 

So La Porte road will be the ride, moved ahead eight days on the SSA calendar.  And instead of waiting until Sunday, let's go Saturday and stick to an early 8:30 AM departure.  Temps will be ideal, so no problems there.  We can figure out where we want to stop for lunch/fuel along the way.

I fully expect many of you to have plans with your families for the three-day weekend, which we fully support.  By all means.  If I'm the only one who commits to the ride, I'll take in La Porte via Markleeville/Downieville/Oroville/Hwy 36.   :D
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

288RR

I wish I would be in town,  but I will be doing my ride though  nevada to no were Belmont, Nevada.   For me it will be straight roads with nothing to see, as for you will have all the turns and sights.   Have a great ride.

nvgixxer

Hey GM-

If I recall there is a goat trail with lots of pot holes and places that aren't even paved close to the town Challenge. Is this included in your La Porte ride route?
2015 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2012 Kawasaki ZX14R (sold)
2009 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2007 Suzuki GSXR1000 (totaled)
2005 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2003 Suzuki GSXR1000 (sold)

GreenMachine

No goat trails included on this ride.  However, the road you're referring to between Challenge and Forbestown has been repaved.  The waving section northwest of Forbestown that leads to Oroville remains, but we're not taking that route.  I much prefer riding the new section of La Porte which starts about half way in and goes to the T at Grass Valley Road, near the town of La Porte.  We can decide on where we want to go from there.

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

nvgixxer

Sounds good to me bro! I HOPE the smoke subsides a bit by the weekend.
2015 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2012 Kawasaki ZX14R (sold)
2009 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2007 Suzuki GSXR1000 (totaled)
2005 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2003 Suzuki GSXR1000 (sold)

Bigcat

You guys have fun. I have a tourney in Roseville.

RichVee4

Wife and I are planning to ride.   Good idea changing routes. That should give us the best chance for some fresh air, other than heading to the coast!! 
Live long and prosper \V/

GreenMachine

Mel

Sounds like you guys are going to have a great ride! You might run into me somewhere up there on Saturday as I want to explore some new roads. I probably won't be joining you as I need to kick my heels up a bit, so will be on a solo mission 8)!

Mel

RichVee4

Mel,  I guess we'll have to wait to see which Fz6 is fastest, the blue or red :) :bluebike

Mel

So, are you all still meeting up at 8:30am at Starbucks? If so, I'll probably ride on over there just to meet everyone and say hi, then split off when you guys head up 89.

Mel

RichVee4

We will see you at starbucks at 8:30.  Great day to ride!

dub

I'm certain I saw you guys just outside of Quincy.  I was on the way home from Klamath Falls.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

GreenMachine

Quincy was our hub today.  We were going towards it from Gaeagle at around 10:30-11:30, then back into town for Hoggies at 1:00 PM, then returned from Oroville, sometime later. 

Mel, I hope you made it out and back okay.  The three of us even took a tour inside the La Porte miners museum, in downtown La Porte.  Didn't think we'd see you again.

Lots of people out enjoying the smoke free skies today.   At lunch we came up with the bright idea of doing some action shots, where two bikes would do their best in a corner, while the other person snapped pictures.  That worked out pretty well. 

Hwy 49 on both sides now needs a shower, as in rain shower to clean off the gutter work dried mud on the road surface.  Gold Lake was crystal clear beautiful today.  Quite a splendid day of riding with Richman and company. 

Beer time!

RichVee4

Perfect day, just what I needed.  Lots of sweeping corners, blue sky and good people.   Only downside is now my rear tire needs replacing :) Worth every mile! 

360 miles! two beers for me