Main Menu

Ride the Goats! 8/10/13

Started by Mel, August 08, 2013, 03:56:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mel

Hey guys,

As the title says, this is a goat road ride on Saturday. Take a break from the regular routes and enjoy some twisty fun roads in the backcountry. No newbies please as the pace will be spirited at times and on roads that demand your full attention. We will slab down to Colfax and then head into the mountains, eventually ending up south of Placerville before making our way back. If you're an experienced rider, but haven't really spent a lot of time on goat roads, then this is a chance to broaden your riding skills and have some fun while doing it 8)! Meet up at the Starbucks on N. McCarran by IHOP off of 80 at 8:30am.

Mel

Mel

Mel

This would make a great warm up ride the day before the VC/Tahoe ride 8)!

Mel

dub

I'll be out of town this weekend.  I was out of town last weekend.  I'll be out of town for the last two weekends in August, too.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

Mel

Well that sucks Dub! Sooner or later we'll have to get together and have some fun on the goat roads :)!

288cbr, how about you? Wanna sharpen your skills on the goats?

Mel

dub

Oh, nothing about it sucks.  Just because I'm not around for SSA rides, doesn't mean I'm not riding.

Last weekend I was racing w/ AFM at Thunderhill.  This weekend I'm riding down to see a friend in Alameda and we're going to sail his boat over to McCovey Cove for the Giants game.  The last two weekends in August I'll be on a road trip; riding from Tahoe up to the San Juan Islands in Washington.

But yes, sooner or later you will show me your latest and greatest goat roads.

Tahoebrian5

Yo wiles..How'd you do at T-hill? Place? Fast Lap time? I'm jealous!

So Mel.. I'm considering blowing off work one day this weekend to ride. So how much goat are we talking about? I can only handle so much time on slow bumpy stuff before I start suffereing on the CBR. Now Mesquito ridge type goat is no problem but the eleven pines link to WWS is what I'd consider more of a goaty road.

Also I'm probably going to do a quick run this evening. I've been leaving around 4 and heading towards Dville but just been doing laps up and down the east side of yuba and heading home instead of going all the way into dville because the road down farther is dirty from cleaning of the ditches. I'll post a new thread but thought I would mention here as well.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

dub

Quote from: Tahoebrian5 on August 09, 2013, 11:53:12 AM
Yo wiles..How'd you do at T-hill? Place? Fast Lap time? I'm jealous!

I did respectable for my first time out.  I finished higher than I started in every race.  Best lap of 1:59.6.

Tahoebrian5

Nice job! How'd it feel safety wise being in close quarters with other racers? I've been very curious about giving it a try at some point.

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

Mel

That's cool Wiles and great job first time out! Racing can be very addictive with that adrenalin rush and it does teach you to get comfortable in close quarters. I got used to that early on back in my dirttrack days racing the ovals and TT's, and am very comfortable riding nuts to butts or handlebar to handlebar even on the street with guys I trust 8).

Brian, let's meet up in the morning at Starbucks and I can make it less goats for you along with some other less traveled fun roads ;)!

Mel

Bigcat

That's awesome Dub, congrats. I look forward to hearing all about it.. ;D

Tahoebrian5

Sounds good Mel, see you in the morn

Mel

288RR

Sorry Mel mi will also be out of town for atleast tomorrow but hoping to be back Sunday

GreenMachine

With all the classic car traffic and congestion in town, I'm considering riding somewhere today.   The bike hasn't been prepped for the street yet, so I have to put it back to street legal and its rear tire is well worn on the left, but great in the center and right.  So circumstances dictate that I look for keeping the bike more on the superslab or some known road like Yuba and just cruise. 

Same goes for tomorrow's ring of Tahoe ride.  I should probably ride sweep until such time as I have a normal tread pattern for tires.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.