Main Menu

Shakedown Run

Started by Mel, July 26, 2013, 08:49:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mel

Hey guys,

After almost 9 months off the bike due to work and other matters, I finally went out yesterday for a shakedown ride. I covered 372 miles and was a little stiff when I got back after such a long layoff, but was surprised at how quickly I got comfortable again on the bike. I found some cool new roads and of course lots of goat roads :)! I'm back on track now for the rest of the season.

Hey Dub, I remember last year when you did Rock Creek and Mosquito Rd and said that it was way too bumpy and you had to keep the pace down because your SV beat you to death and was thinking about that when I was on those roads yesterday. My FZ6 loved those roads and stayed on track over the bumps even at a very spirited pace :)!

I'll have to put up a ride in the future to include the route I did yesterday on the roads less traveled  8)!

Mel

dub

Whoa, I didn't realize you weren't riding for so long.  That must have sucked.

Post up a ride, I'll rip some more goaty roads with you.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

Mel

Sounds like a plan Wiles 8). Stay tuned!

Mel

GreenMachine

That explains it.

We have some new faces on here, some new blood for the club.  

Hope to join one of your rides.  But don't be offended if I ride around the goat roads.  I had my share of them this weekend.  It was awful! ...the goat trails I mean.  The rest of the experience will be treasured for a lifetime!
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

Rwarner56

I'm a newb, what's a goat road?
Probably posted from the restroom at work

Mel

Rwarner56,

A goat road is one that is usually narrow, bumpy, and without a center line.

GM,

Are you talking about Nacimiento/Ferguson Rd from the coast over to King City? I love that road :thumbup. We need to get your suspension setup properly for the street and not how the suspension gurus at trackdays set it up. A race track tuned suspension is totally wrong for the street where most of us here ride the majority of the time.

Mel

dub

It's just slang for a very windy, technical, narrow road.  They are usually out of the way and don't see much traffic.  The pavement is often in very poor condition and sometimes there are no lane markers at all.

The most important thing to remember when riding goat roads is to ALWAYS stay on your side of the line; especially if there is no line.  The roads are often very narrow and sometimes you will go miles upon miles without seeing another vehicle.  These two things can easily lull you into complacency until  you find yourself apexing a left hand corner on the left edge of the pavement.  Always hug the edge of your side of the road in a blind corner, especially right handers because this is when the car coming the other way will be cutting into your lane.

Here's a thread that attempts to define goat road and has some great pictures:  http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26965

edit:  gah, mel beat me to it.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

Rwarner56

Got it. Thanks guys. I've seen enough YouTube videos to know to stay on my side of the road and the military beat into me that complacency kills. I'm always vigilant and looking for a way out of any situation.
Probably posted from the restroom at work

GreenMachine

Quote from: Mel on July 26, 2013, 03:17:54 PM
...GM,

Are you talking about Nacimiento/Ferguson Rd from the coast over to King City? I love that road :thumbup. We need to get your suspension setup properly for the street and not how the suspension gurus at trackdays set it up. A race track tuned suspension is totally wrong for the street where most of us here ride the majority of the time.

Mel
That's the road alright!   :P :-\  It wasn't really that bad compared to the one leading from hwy 101 back to Carmel Valley, CA.  I got beat up badly on that one!  You can see it in this <linked thread.>  No way I'm changing my suspension.  This bike's too heavy and ill suited for riding those types of roads.  I'd rather be on my mountain bike, if I'm going to do that.  But it's good to have you back active on the forum.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

Mel

I understand GM, I just like razzing you about goat roads cuz I know you don't like them ;). That would have been Carmel Valley Rd you were on, another fun road! Goat roads are probably my favorite, but I love all types of roads as long as there are plenty of corners!

I see there is a ride posted for Sunday on the schedule. Are you leading this ride?

Mel

GreenMachine

I won't be leading Sunday's ride.  I wasn't going to ride today either, but it's just an out and back to VC, plus it includes the Jerky Company for BBQ.  I have to eat anyway, so I'm not losing out at all!

Just trying to save some tire for RFR next weekend.