Main Menu

Laguna Seca to Big Sur & back 07/19/13

Started by GreenMachine, July 11, 2013, 07:07:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

I'm finally back!  The racing, riding and comradery were awesome.   I predicted the victors of both main events.  A well deserved fun vacation.  But...

I didn't leave the race track until 8:40 PM, waiting for spectator traffic to clear and only made it 10 miles before stop-n-go.  Pulled off.  Waited another hour, which amounted to about 3 miles down the road before stop-n-go, then finally to my turn-off into the Central Valley.  I made it to my destination at 12:20 AM.  Normally I can make that run in around 2 hours.

Really, REALLY tired.

Yes, I have pictures, but I have to sleep.  I left for Reno this AM at 3:30 AM.  Not thinking very clearly.  So there is a price to pay.  I'm sure I'll go again next year.  There's a  bunch of really good guys that RG knows..."Mr. Personality." 

An hopefully then, we can get a group of riders and have a successful ride of more than two.   :P  I did make up for one of you though.  I made two hwy 1 runs.  The second was the better of the two and was really really really spectacular!   
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

GreenMachine

Quote from: RenoRider75 on July 21, 2013, 02:50:20 PM
Marquez's pass on Rossi was amazing!  I wasn't sure he'd catch Bradl, but man....  what a race!  Marquez leaning to 63 degrees too...  That kid is crazy!

Awesome.  I CANNOT wait for next year - trying to reserve a camp spot as early as I can!  Hope you guys got some great photos, I'm very jealous.  Thank goodness SPEED aired the race.  :)
Watching every one of the best-of-the-best riders in the World trying to keep up with Marqeuz was amazing alright!  Most of the front-runners were really pushing their bikes to the limit, especially going into turn 5, from the infield dog-leg straight.  The fast boys were consistently topping 155 MPH going into that turn, whereas the AMA bike of Josh Hayes could only muster about 145 MPH.  That's a substantial amount of HP difference between his bike and the factory prototypes.   I saw some 157s and 161 MPH detections displayed, but I think those were very brief errors, because the speed didn't go up consistently.  It went from 148 to 161 or 151 to 157, then immediately back down.  So probably random detection errors from having several bikes hitting the trap at the same time.

It was obvious with the way Marquez was riding and crashing during practice and qualifying that he was testing the limits of every corner.  And the way he hangs off, all the front runners too!  There must be something to that elbow dragging that presents an advantage.   I heard some armchair quarterbacks saying the Rossi wasn't pushing it, but I'd say that was complete nonsense.  Rossi was on the limit himself.  He was carrying the same 155 MPH down the same straight as MM, lifting the rear off the ground going into the corner, squirming the rear tire.  Every race lap his motor was running the rev limiter.  It was clear that MM had the field covered Sunday.

Ow.  My ears are still ringing.  :'(
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

RenoRider75

Glad to hear you made it home safe!  Looking forward to pictures.  I'd also like to get a group together for the race next year; if we coordinate and reserve early, we could probably get a few camp spots together.  "The SSA at Laguna Seca".  Sounds pretty bad-ass.   :D

288RR

I ended up doing the parade laps,  and I must say a track day would be great there.  The corkscrew is a great turn, 
Here is my video from the laps     http://youtu.be/MSkdxt-i3XQ
We got to do 2 laps which was a lot of fun.   They said there was around 280 doing the parade lap

GreenMachine

Rwarner56

Shit. I'm already here. Hopefully someone else shows up
Probably posted from the restroom at work

GreenMachine

It was a pleasure riding with you today RW.  Was Six Mile Canyon the right choice going back to hwy 50?