Main Menu

Laguna Seca to Big Sur & back 07/19/13

Started by GreenMachine, July 11, 2013, 07:07:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

See tentative schedule in July 17th post below.
Rg500nut, myself and probably TB5 will be riding to Big Sur on Friday (TB5 may do it on Thursday instead, not positive).  Going for the fun of riding the coast, which is spectacular!  No definite plan as to when we'll return and/or if we'll park in Monterey for bike night.  May do that too briefly.

Just throwing that out there if anyone is going to be in the area, looking for other SSA members to hang out and ride with.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

288RR

Ill be riding down from Reno on Friday morning,  im not sure what time ill get in.

Tahoebrian5

I might be game for both days. Whenever motogp morning practice is done I could probly be persuaded. Riding hwy1 on Friday will be an excersize in lane splitting with hordes of sport bikers heading to the race. Not for the faint of heart!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

GreenMachine

The date is quickly approaching.  My plan at this point is truck our bikes to the track and be there as the gates open on Friday.  That'll give me time to unpack and not miss any of the action.  RG will already be there and he's all for the idea.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

RenoRider75

My wife Sara and I are both headed down there this weekend.  Probably going to drive the truck, her bike is currently being repaired (don't ask).   :-X  Riding Highway 1 would be AWESOME!  I may bring my bike in the truck and 2-up it with Sara.

Is anyone planning to camp in the campground at the track?  Trying to figure plans out now, the date really snuck up on us.  :)

Tahoebrian5

Turn 11 camping for me. I'm all the way up top past the showers, turn left, white tundra with a truck tent. Heading there Wednesday morn
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

GreenMachine

Quote from: Tahoebrian5 on July 15, 2013, 08:12:49 AM
...white tundra with a truck tent...
and yellow hornet parked outside.

288RR

Quote from: RenoRider75 on July 14, 2013, 09:40:54 PM
My wife Sara and I are both headed down there this weekend.  Probably going to drive the truck, her bike is currently being repaired (don't ask).   :-X  Riding Highway 1 would be AWESOME!  I may bring my bike in the truck and 2-up it with Sara.

Is anyone planning to camp in the campground at the track?  Trying to figure plans out now, the date really snuck up on us.  :)

If you say dont ask. You know someone will ask.   What happened?

GreenMachine

Definitely riding Friday, at this point.  If you're going to be in the Monterey area and wish to ride with us, I think the easiest way is for us to coordinate using this thread.  Otherwise, it'll be like herding cats with text messages and calls and what a nightmare!

The idea is to ride, but not miss out on some of the cool practicing going on, especially the MotoGP stuff.   AND I personally don't want to ride hwy 1 in the AM hours, simply because of the marine layer and moisture.  So figure on some time after MotoGP free practice session 1 ends at 11:10 AM  

Let's say meet at the Chevron on Hwy 1 & Rio Road (3645 Rio Road), Carmel, CA at noon.  <WWW Link> Kickstands up at 12:15 PM.

RenoRider75

Quote from: 288cbr on July 16, 2013, 09:42:40 PM
If you say dont ask. You know someone will ask.   What happened?
She crashed her bike.   :(  Nothing serious, fortunately, but she's out of commission for another week or two.  Got scared in a turn and froze up.  So now I need to figure out a good (and safe) place for her to practice turning once I have her bike back together.

Anyhow, don't want to derail the thread - I didn't realize just how busy it would be down in Monterey this weekend.  Please forgive my noob-ness, but MotoGP is exciting and apparently Laguna Seca is really popular.  I don't want to spend $400 on a hotel room, so I think we're making plans for the 2014 race now (I want to reserve a camp spot as early as possible).

Have fun, and ride safe!

288RR

I'm staying up in watsonville.  Its about 30 min from the track.  And the room are a Mich better rate there.

GreenMachine

I apologize to 288 and anyone else who was at the Chevron at noon yesterday. One of the two riders I was riding over with didn't realize we were on a tight schedule, meeting other riders there and the other had a drive-train malfunction, both of which delayed us over an hour.

We did make it though, having lunch at the River Inn in Big Sur. we rode a little further down to a military reserve, looking for some good roads, but they were just bumpy goat trails for the most part. It was excessively hot once away from the coast too.

Still have the quest in my mind to get all the way down to San Simion (sp) and will be headed out, solo this time, right after MotoGP qualifying. Probably to return after sunset. Then, I think we're heading down to Cannery Row to look at all the bikes the non-race fans put out on display.

Mel

GM,

Bumpy goat roads rule  8)! They make you a well rounded rider  ;).

Mel

288RR

I missed out no the ride.  I didn't make it in to town till later in the day.   I down at the bike night as well tonight

RenoRider75

Marquez's pass on Rossi was amazing!  I wasn't sure he'd catch Bradl, but man....  what a race!  Marquez leaning to 63 degrees too...  That kid is crazy!

Awesome.  I CANNOT wait for next year - trying to reserve a camp spot as early as I can!  Hope you guys got some great photos, I'm very jealous.  Thank goodness SPEED aired the race.  :)